Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Why is the infernal cake stall business the job of MUMS?!

(59 Posts)
Chandon Wed 26-Jun-13 11:36:01

So, in our school y6 mums traditionally run a cake stall every single week for the last term, to raise money for the Y6 day out/celebration.

So.....we started getting organised. Interestingly, most mums in this particular year work, and just do not have the time ( or energy or inclination) to bake and sell cakes every week, at 20p each, so a lot of cakes need to be sold to reach our target.

Some working mums wanted to know if we could maybe just all contribute £40 and be done with it.

I have been thinking why I feel pissed off about the whole set-up, and I think it is the fact that t is not the PARENTS job to fundraise, it is the MUMS' job.

Considering the fact most mums this year work ( and even if they did not!) AIBU to feel angry that it is the women's job to fundraise through a ridiculously unprofitable and interminable cake baking project. WTF? is this the modern world or what?

Or should I just suck it up for the sake of "tradition" and don my apron and bake loads of cakes? I feel really annoyed, nobody expects any of the DADS to give up their time for this pointless exercise.

kim147 Wed 26-Jun-13 13:26:56

Add some coffee / tea, few ice creams and lollies. Flapjacks and cookies. Children like simple stuff - none of these fancy cupcakes or massive cakes.

Chandon Wed 26-Jun-13 14:15:05

Oh this is a good thread, I was sort of just venting but niw have some GOOD ideas!

I am supposed to run the blasted thing...with good grace ( I nly shw my jaded dark sde on MN)

So I will
- get te y6 kids to do baking and help at stall
- supplement with Asda donuts if not enough comes in
- if we simply get no cakes, will chnge concept to Ice Cream Friday
- we will increase the price to 40 or 50p ...?!
- last but not least, I will change my attitude to a positive can-do one with a bit of bossiness thrown in and challenge the status quo, in a positive manner, where required!

Just felt I inherited a dud concept....

Change is good

juneau Wed 26-Jun-13 18:41:57

Its 50p per cake (fairy cake, cup cake, etc), at DS1's school. I think that's pretty reasonable.

LiegeAndLief Wed 26-Jun-13 18:49:15

We do ice cream Fridays too. No freezer necessary, just a big coolbox. Makes a fortune and I'm sure it's more cost effective than a cake sale.

Do it as 50p per cake or £1.30 for 3.

We do this at our school after a boycott by myself and three other mums. We found it increased takings rather than the original trial of 50p per cake.

Sold as 1 for you, 1 for child and one to take home. Or 1 for each child and one for mum.

morethanpotatoprints Wed 26-Jun-13 19:39:55

I must agree if you have a problem with it, don't do it.

Make your dhs do the flippin cakes grin. If they won't and you don't want to, don't do it.
I just used to buy them and take them in, nobody knew any difference.

DonDrapersAltrEgoBigglesDraper Wed 26-Jun-13 19:40:53

So when people talk about 'cakes'... They're actually talking about cupcakes?

Snog Wed 26-Jun-13 19:41:41

My dp often does the baking for cake stalls.
I think up to one cake stall a term is fine but one a week is ludicrous.

curlew Wed 26-Jun-13 20:10:39

Absolutely cupcakes. Things that kids can eat on the way home. But we always have some bags/boxes so that people can take them home. We always do it on a Friday so people can buy cakes for the weekend.

The best sellers are usually ones with sweets on. I buy Morrison's own brand frosting in vanilla and chocolate, and put a Minstrel or a malteeser or a Haribo on each cake, then sprinkle with glitter. I make muffin sized ones- they cost pence more than small ones to make and look much more impressive- they sell for 60p each. Money for old rope, a cake stall if you do it right. We do one a fortnight. People know when it's going to be, and come prepared with money. £60-80 every time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now