to wash bra only once a week?

(113 Posts)
CHJR Wed 26-Jun-13 09:43:15

I don’t think I’m a dirty sow but maybe I am. My mother died before I started wearing bras and well before and after that we spent a lot of time moving around, often unable to wash clothes or even shop for them (refugees), so sometimes I discover strange gaps in my, er, general knowledge. No one’s ever suggested I smell or anything but hand washing bras is such a bother, and the machine damages them, so I tend to do it only once a week, assuming I've not been especially sweaty. But of course I change pants daily, and vests … is once a week too little for bras? What should I teach my DD?

And what about things like tights? Was a bit surprised recently to learn my SIL washes them after EVERY wearing, but even more surprised to realise she also doesn’t wear pants under them. She’s American though, maybe they’re just different? Or she personally is?

LieweHeksie Wed 26-Jun-13 11:06:47

IME if you have a 'sweaty bra' then you are wearing a badly fitted bra and need to get to the bra intervention thread smile

minouminou Wed 26-Jun-13 11:08:30

I've got four bras that I wear pretty much all the time....two are black and two are beigey/pinky for white/thin clothes.
I wear whichever is appropriate for the day's clothes, and this works out that the two black ones get washed once a week each, as do the beige ones, but each bra is only worn, say, twice or thrice a week, and not often consecutive days.

I've got fancier bras that get the odd outing too, and I do prefer to hand wash these, but my utilitarian bras aren't underwired, so stand up to a 30-40 degree wash.

Ifancyashandy Wed 26-Jun-13 11:12:55

Didn't say I had a "sweaty bra", more that it sits closets to the site of sweat glands. Have already utilised the Bra Intervention thread - who merely confirmed Rigby & Peller's and Bravissio's advice. But thanks for the advice if that was directed at me.

LieweHeksie Wed 26-Jun-13 11:31:17

it wasn't directed at anyone.

just trying to be helpful. I wore badly fitting sweaty bras for more years that I care to admit.

RiffyWammal Wed 26-Jun-13 12:35:20

Crikey. This thread has made me feel like a right dirty mare! I really am living up to my username (which only Black Country people will understand).

<<washes bra>>

<<bra disintegrates as was only held together by sweat and skin particles>>

imnotmymum Wed 26-Jun-13 12:39:42

I too change my bra each time i get changed and I do have to match. If I have worn a bra all day then wash, tights after each wear and knickers. Do machine wash and dry. As a tangent I am currently spring cleaning and my bra drawers are now colour coded beautifully

HerrenaHarridan Wed 26-Jun-13 14:38:57

This thread reminds me why I love mn. You can ask questions like this in private while getting a wide range of opinions.

I alternate 3 bras and wash every 2/3 weeks, after wearing I hang them somewhere to get the air.

They go in on a delicate wash because I have monster boobs and they cost a small fortune (on my budget) I use a laundry bag and wash them in a barely half full machine.

Tights one wear, with pants. In winter a pair of pants on top of tights will help keep them up smile

MadBusLady Wed 26-Jun-13 14:42:27

I wear mine 2/3 times and I don't get sweaty boobs, but they start to feel "old" after that. A week is definitely pushing it, I think.

MadBusLady Wed 26-Jun-13 14:43:45

And IIRC I got called a dirty mare for that on another thread! So OP, you must be a filthy mare grin

Crinkle77 Wed 26-Jun-13 14:46:19

It all depends on how warm the weather has been and how long you have have been wearing them in the day. If it is hot I might wear the same bra for a couple of days max. A bit longer in winter cos you don't sweat as much then. As for tights I would wash them after every wearing but then it depends how long you have had them on. If you have only had them on for an hour or two then I would wear them again. If I had them on in work all day then probably not

HabitualLurker Wed 26-Jun-13 14:47:58

I only wash mine roughly every 3 wears.. I certainly don't wash a top after each wear either! But I've never had sweaty underboob (am rather small in the boob department) unless I've been doing some major exercise.

Once a week doesn't sound too ridiculous to me.

As for tights, if they're the thick woolen sort then I wouldn't necessarily wash after each wear either.

GobblersKnob Wed 26-Jun-13 14:56:50

I wash after 1 or 2 wears, handwash or very occasionally super delicate machine wash at 20.

I have upward of thirty bras though......

Tights wash after every wear and always with undercrackers underneath.

Goldenhedgehog Wed 26-Jun-13 14:58:08

Really wouldn't occur to me to wear bras more than once other than in an emergency of the needing-a-specific-colour-to-wear-with-a-top kind.

It's underwear! Mind you, I would rarely wear a top more than once, unless I'd not worn it all day.

ImNotBloody14 Wed 26-Jun-13 15:00:22

I do bras and tights after each
wear as to me they are underwear and underwear needs changed daily. Also, if i wear a bra for two days it feels uncomfortable around the under arms and sides of ribs- im not overly sweaty but im a cleaner and do have parts of the day where i am very sweaty so i do change them daily. Did all my life though.

ImNotBloody14 Wed 26-Jun-13 15:01:15

And always wear pants under tights. I cant imagine not!

TheRealFellatio Wed 26-Jun-13 15:03:05

I wear a bra for two days, sometimes three at a push, but I am a very unsweaty person, and I shower every day.

I have never seen a need to wash bras by hand (and I cannot see how that is sufficient for underwear anyhow) and I have rarely had a bra get damaged in the wash. I don't tumble dry them though. I can't imagine a bra would smell too great if it only gets a handwash once a week. I therefore conclude that YABU.

squoosh Wed 26-Jun-13 15:03:11

Tights with no knickers underneath makes me sad for that sweaty, overheated vagina. It needs a little cotton barrier.

alemci Wed 26-Jun-13 15:06:35

I would wash mine every 2 to 3 days. Never without going in a laundry bag on a wool or handwash cycle or even by hand. Too expensive to ruin.

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 26-Jun-13 15:10:29

My bras are washed mostly after one day, tights always only worn once.

I bung all my bras in the washing machine, they survive. I don't hand wash anything, far too lazy.....

Holly1977 Wed 26-Jun-13 15:45:19

omg, I hardly ever wash my bras! i don't sweat a lot though. i only have 3 or 4 that fit me. i wash them when i notice they look really grubby. then i just chuck them in the wash with everything else.

pants obviously every day. i don't wear tights but if i did, i might wash them every time but only cos they tend to make my feet smell funny. i always hand wash tights, hold ups etc cos otherwise the elastic goes.

ephemeralfairy Wed 26-Jun-13 16:51:26

Blimey. Bras are expensive!! I've only got two wearable ones. Am not ashamed to say I wash them about once a week. Apart from gym kit, knickers and socks/tights I wear all clothes til...well, til they're visibly dirty or whiffy.

I go for weeks without changing my bedclothes too. I am a slattern. I do however shower daily (twice if gym-ing) and I generally smell lush. grin

londonrach Wed 26-Jun-13 16:57:29

Tickle. Glad I'm not the only one that wears pants at night. Also wash bra once a week although pants and socks every day. Mum had breast cancer and worried re damage to bra.

SueDoku Wed 26-Jun-13 17:23:29

I wash mine after 1-4 wears (depending on how hot it is..!). I just pop them into an old pillowcase and they are fine in a 40 degree wash.

orangeandemons Wed 26-Jun-13 17:34:49

If bras were cheaper for big norms, I'd wash mine much more often. But the cost of them means I only have 2. One on and one in the wash

AmberSocks Wed 26-Jun-13 17:46:20

i wash mine every wear or every other wear.I dont wear knickers much unless im wearing a skirt!I hate them,dontknow why i just do.Havnt had an period for abo

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now