Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

...to hate the phrase "9 months on, 9 months off"?

(69 Posts)
SpooMoo Tue 25-Jun-13 17:48:34

My baby is 8mo and while I have lost some weight (all the pram pushing and breastfeeding) I am still overweight and nowhere near back in shape. But I don't have the time or energy to focus on that right now! I just feel like a failure that I'm nearing 9 months postpartum and that's when I "should" be back to normal, according to this phrase! AIBU?

i am still trying to shift my baby weight

DD2 is...........................................21............................years

ENormaSnob Tue 25-Jun-13 19:23:25

My dc4 is 11 weeks and im still chubby blush

Despite exclusively bf i hadnt lost a pound until i joined slimming world and started exercising more.

I can feel it coming off but it is hard at times sad

Fakebook Tue 25-Jun-13 19:25:13

It's not a literal saying. Most sayings aren't.

Stinkyminkymoo Tue 25-Jun-13 19:25:16

YAsoNBU! I hate it, my dd is 10mo and I still look like I'm due another thanks lady in Laura Ashley for asking when it's due between my dd, the horses, the dog and trying to keep the house in some sort of order I only have time to do 1 Pilates class and ride twice a week at the most. Not cool hmm.

Don't worry about it and crack on. smile

PollyIndia Tue 25-Jun-13 19:35:15

Well doesn't it depend if it's important to you or not? If it is, then why not try and make some time to yourself to exercise or to think about nice healthy things to eat rather than just feeling guilty? Get your oh to look after the baby and find a class you like or just go for run? If not, then who gives a crap about some rubbish slogan! I am a single working mum to an 8 month old but it's important to me to feel fit and healthy so I have made time for exercise etc. and I run whenever I can get a babysitter for half an hour! But we are all different and there is no right way. For me, breastfeeding made me put in weight as I was such a pig. I stopped a few weeks ago and it's dropped off. So maybe the same will happen with you. My sister was the same.

Xmasbaby11 Tue 25-Jun-13 19:36:46

I've never heard of it either. Don't worry, sweetie, it can take ages to shift it. DD is 18months and I'm relieved I've just got pregnant again as an excuse for not shifting the baby weight!

Fuzzymum1 Tue 25-Jun-13 19:44:57

Totally ridiculous! I weighed less when I came out of hosiptal than I did at my booking appointment - purely because I was about 6 stone overweight when I conceived - I'm still trying to lose the weight I gained with DS1 and he's 19!

RaisingHooligirls Tue 25-Jun-13 19:46:54

I don't know, I think it is important to say this phrase out loud a LOT because there is so much pressure on women now to have lost all the weight in 9 WEEKS

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Jun-13 19:53:25

When does baby weight stop being known as baby weight?

I mean at what point is it considered to be that the mother is simply overweight?

HeySoulSister Tue 25-Jun-13 19:56:19

You mean when do we need to find a new excuse?

nametakenagain Tue 25-Jun-13 19:57:20

Never heard the phrase. Ignore it and focus and what's important in the right order for you.

WorraLiberty Tue 25-Jun-13 19:59:06

Yeah, that too Soul grin

mrscog Tue 25-Jun-13 20:00:16

It is a silly phrase, but it is probably helpful to people feeling self conscious about their post-partum figure 4 weeks after the birth. From my experience (and friends), some of us lost it quickly, some slowly and others after the whole bf/mat leave stage. For me, I lost about 1.5 stone initially (baby, placenta, fluid etc.) then nothing until DS was about 4-5 months, then in the space of 3 months the other 1.5 stone melted away. DS is now nearly 16 months and I've just started my 'focussed' healthy eating this week to lose the last few pounds. You're right about needing focus - 3 weeks ago I was still enjoying cakes too much, then something clicked and I was like 'right. I'm doing it'. So far so good smile

SpooMoo Tue 25-Jun-13 20:08:42

Thanks for the replies. I think you're all right that it's a phrase to reassure very new mums that they don't need to worry about it until a few months in! I just read it again in a newspaper article today and it got my back up.

I am still breastfeeding (exclusively as in not mix feeding). I walk everywhere with the pram or sling. I know I have to start planning some more exercise and get DH to take the baby while I go to classes (not men on using a creche) but this would mess up our routine somewhat. I know this just sounds like an excuse. I'm probably not BU to hate the phrase though judging by some responses!

Itchywoolyjumper Tue 25-Jun-13 20:09:56

I was mightily sick during my pregnancy and by the time I'd peed out all the excess fluid I actually weighed a lot less after DS's birth than before I was pregnant. I was a very, very different (knobbly potato) shape though and its taken me nearly 3 years to get back to something like what I was before. Nine months it not long at all, just be nice to yourself and eventually it'll be ok.

SpooMoo Tue 25-Jun-13 20:10:19

* not men = not keen (autocorrect)

DontmindifIdo Tue 25-Jun-13 20:14:20

I tend to think it's a useful phrase for woman who've been reading the Daily Fail with their obsession with celebs who've "snapped back" by 2-3 months (I believe they've had an article about that one who shagged Ryan Giggs who's now 4 months after having her DC and is back to underwear modelling). That sort of speed of weight loss isn't healthy for most woman - because for most woman it involves either starving yourself when you're breast feeding or exercising before your body's completely recovered (as I believe Katie Price proved after one of her pregnancies where she busted her stitches hitting the gym too soon post birth).

It's a phrase that's supposed to be about taking your time and doing it sensibly. Not that you will just lose the weight by 9 months no matter what you eat/do, but that if you are aiming to lose the weight, you should work towards being back to your old size after a long period - and 9 months is really a reasonable time frame for most woman.

Shenanagins Tue 25-Jun-13 20:15:42

The weight clung to me for dear life whilst i breastfed and only when i stopped it slowly started to come off. Still want to punch people who say if you breastfeed the weight will just melt off!

FrenchRuby Tue 25-Jun-13 20:22:00

I am now less than what i weighed before getting pregnant with dd, she is now 2 and a bit years old and it took me that long to lose 8 stone, it took me a year and a half to lose the 6 stone I put on in pregnancy so that phrase is complete bs for me. But everyone is different. Don't pressure yourself

Elquota Tue 25-Jun-13 20:22:54

YANBU. It's your body and you get to decide what's a reasonable amount of time to spend on exercise and so on. Just ignore anyone who makes judgy comments - I'm sure there are things they find difficult to stick to (such as being nice to others wink)

maddening Tue 25-Jun-13 21:10:50

Heysoulsister - for some it takes more focus than others - my pcos make weight loss for me a greater battle than for another person.

For you it's easy - great - for others not so - no need to be so derisory of other's experiences.

TroublesomeEx Tue 25-Jun-13 21:23:39

I've never heard that expression either.

With my first I was 8st 3 before I became pregnant, 8st 3 at my 6 week check and 8st 3 the day I left hospital with my 5 day old son.

With my second I was 9st 3 when I became pregnant and 8st 9 when I was discharged with my 2 week old daughter.

I exclusively BF too. It made no difference to my weight in either direction.

It's absolute nonsense.

Just look after your baby and yourself and don't worry about what you 'should' have done weight wise. smile

MiconiumHappens Tue 25-Jun-13 21:27:28

YANBU! Also it's often said in a supportive way as on don't worry you have 9 months smile WHAT?! Now I have a deadline, jee thanks.

foreverondiet Tue 25-Jun-13 23:43:12

I think it's just to reinforce idea that not normal to be back in skinny jeans after 3 weeks like celebrities and 9 months is reasonable length of time to lose weight particularly if one is focused on it...

MamaChubbyLegs Tue 25-Jun-13 23:55:29

9 months on, 3 days off, 3 months back on for me envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now