Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To press the button in on my hand-break before pulling it up to put the break on

(36 Posts)
DuelingFanjo Tue 25-Jun-13 15:38:45

because I did in my mum's car and she said 'don't push the button in, just pull it up'.

I have always pushed it in.

OddBoots Tue 25-Jun-13 16:21:04

I always used to but now I drive a Prius and it has a foot version with no button so you always get that grating noise.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 25-Jun-13 16:26:22

I hold the button in so far, then release and pull up for one more notch. That final click is reassuring smile

valiumredhead Tue 25-Jun-13 16:36:23

Use the button!

specialsubject Tue 25-Jun-13 17:04:19

you always push the button in unless you like spending excessive amounts on fixing your car.

in the same way as you drive smoothly and anticipate to avoid wasting fuel. Most people don't know that either.

OP - your mum is wrong.

DuelingFanjo Tue 25-Jun-13 17:15:23

Dunno - if you watch the video I linked to but they say for a vauxhall you shouldn't push the button.

specialsubject Tue 25-Jun-13 17:18:58

I guess that is because they want to make sure you put the handbrake on firmly so they don't get sued when your car rolls away. They will assume that you are too dumb to check.

and of course when the handbrake wears prematurely, you pay them to fix it!

ShatnersBassoon Tue 25-Jun-13 17:20:15

The ratchet isn't damaged by not depressing the release button. A ratchet is designed to be ratcheted (!) ie you don't have to have a smooth action around the teeth.

beginnings Tue 25-Jun-13 17:24:34

I've always pushed the button as the noise sets my teeth on edge. My mother never does and it drives me bonkers.

Who knew I wasn't supposed to!

soverylucky Tue 25-Jun-13 17:26:37

At last - proof that I am right and MIL is wrong. The noise when she puts the handbrake on - I was convinced it was her lack of button action and I am right. Can't wait to tell her next time I am in car with her.

DuelingFanjo Tue 25-Jun-13 17:27:50

Does she drive a Vauxhall though?

caroldecker Tue 25-Jun-13 17:51:06

don't think i've used the handbrake for about 20 yrs, so no help i'm afraid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now