to ask for your HONEST opinions, should i get the side of my head shaved?

(117 Posts)
MoodyDidIt Tue 25-Jun-13 14:54:58

i have a short choppy hairstyle and am going for a trim tomorrow and am thinking of asking my hairdresser to shave the side of my head, can't really describe it but its a bit like rihanna here

am 33, if it looks shit, it will grow back right? its only hair

i will also put a pic of myself on here, how my hair looks now - for a VERY short time, so people can judge advise

again, please be honest, i promise i won't be offended grin

<wibble>

chillynose Tue 25-Jun-13 17:32:37

Go for it if thats what u want u can keep shaving it to stop it growing and looking silly

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Tue 25-Jun-13 17:36:03

I think you should do it! I was all ready to say no but you have the perfect face for it. I'm jealous! I love miley Cyrus' hair atm but can't do it because I have a fat mans face (I'm like my brothers twin sad )

SugarPasteGreyhound Tue 25-Jun-13 18:06:24

Do it, do it, do it!

I am very tempted by it but I have a round face and it would look shit on me.

If you like the style then go for it. I don't subscribe to whether it's fashionable or not; who gives a fuck how old you are - go for it!

carolthesecretary Tue 25-Jun-13 18:14:06

No, women with shaved heads make me think of the 80s...

Nerfmother Tue 25-Jun-13 18:17:50

Thing is, hair grows. Decent hairdresser can do wonders at the I between stage. It will look good! Don't dye it unless that fits your look. I can add you to my mumsnet mates if you want to look at my picture?

MoodyDidIt Tue 25-Jun-13 18:31:13

yes add me nerf so i can be nosey

grin

EatingAllTheCrumpets Tue 25-Jun-13 18:38:43

DO IT!!

I've had mine like it for about 2 years now, I've had it long and mid-length on the long bits and have the shaved bit shaved on a number 1. Currently the rest of my hair is pink/purple shoulder length however I've had it brown and blonde so more "normal" colours!

I was worried about having it done as I'm overweight, not an 18 year old trendy yoof and have a normal office job. But I bit the bullet and shaved it off!

I love it and since I've had it so long it just feels normal now!

It's only hair at the end of the day, it will grow back!!

MorrisZapp Tue 25-Jun-13 18:43:41

Naw man. Dinny dae it.

Do it, I think it'll really suit you. Even if you decide you don't like it, it'll grow back. It's better to regret something you did than something you didn't do.

cassgate Tue 25-Jun-13 18:51:25

http://www.hairfinder.com/haircollections2/peluqueria3bis.htm.

Not sure if this link will work properly but this is what my hair is like. Its not shaved just very scissor short on one side and the back with a long fringe. I have just had my fringe cut so its about nose level as it was getting on my nerves but maybe an option for you. My hair is also rihanna red. I am 42 and have always had very short hair its nothing to do with age its whether it suits you of not.

Sarah

BeKindToYourKnees Tue 25-Jun-13 18:54:11

Absolutely do it!! My DD has exactly the same hair and features as you and has had the side shaved, it look stunning. Definitely not passé.

VerySmallSqueak Tue 25-Jun-13 19:07:10

Yep.Do it.

It'll really suit you.You have a lovely well defined profile which I think will really work.

You can always do the upkeep yourself (or even the shaving off bit) if you have some clippers.

It is only hair,and it's really not that bad to grow back.

Sugar I think it actually suits a round face - especially if you go two sided.

Mehrida Tue 25-Jun-13 19:39:47

You like it and if you have the confidence to do it then you'll suit it.

Worst comes to the worst, you don't like it and have a few weeks of it being 'in between' while it grows back.

Don't do it and you'll always be wondering...

Shutupanddrive Tue 25-Jun-13 19:44:27

Yes do it smile
Have you decided yet?

sweettooth99 Tue 25-Jun-13 19:52:32

I think it would look great

GobblersKnob Tue 25-Jun-13 19:52:54

Ah do it, you'll look great, who gives a toss what anyone else thinks it's your hair.

VitoCorleone Tue 25-Jun-13 19:56:45

I think you'd suit it

DramaAlpaca Tue 25-Jun-13 19:58:28

I think it will really suit you. If you like it, do it. And make sure you post another photo!

cocolepew Tue 25-Jun-13 20:10:35

I've seen your pictures before, was it when you were getting your haircut before? I still think you nerd to chop into your floppy bit or shorten it. But that's only my opinion grin.

It would look fine shaved, it grows back in no time. I accidentally shaved part of my head completely bald (don't ask) and within two weeks it was fine to stop wearing scarves wrapped around my head grin

Seenitall Tue 25-Jun-13 20:24:24

Do it, I think it will look fab - if you do, please share new pics

Onesleeptillwembley Tue 25-Jun-13 20:29:39

Don't. The trend has gone and it wasn't a particularly attractive one anyway. If you have the right bone structure, a fully shaved head can look fantastic.

raffegiraffe Tue 25-Jun-13 20:38:09

Hi OP,
I say do it!
I have a similar hair cut but cut very short on the short side rather than shaved.
It looks great and I have had so many compliments.
My long side is to my jaw angle.it's easy to style and I don't ever have the situation that used to happen with my bob, where one side of my hair dried ok and the other stuck out!

MoodyDidIt Wed 26-Jun-13 10:17:02

oh that sounds nice raffegiraffe, i think i have seen similar cuts

and yes cocolepew that was me too blush and since that pic was taken i have gone a little bit shorter, but dont have any very recent pics that show it properly

thanks again for all the advice even the harsher comments thanks

got my hair appt this afternoon and will also chat to my hairdresser, i have been going to her for years and she is very honest and lovely as well as being a brilliant stylist so i think if she says go for it am gonna just do it! (and vice versa)

squeakytoy Wed 26-Jun-13 11:18:27

I did it last year (I am 43) and I loved the style... but growing it out is an absolute nightmare..

I had both sides done, but the top was long enough so that I could look "sensible" with a bob style if it was down.

I would think you will suit it, but it is a bit "last year" now as well..

WildlingPrincess Wed 26-Jun-13 11:22:20

I did. Looked awesome but was a pain in the arse to grow back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now