to ask for your HONEST opinions, should i get the side of my head shaved?

(117 Posts)
MoodyDidIt Tue 25-Jun-13 14:54:58

i have a short choppy hairstyle and am going for a trim tomorrow and am thinking of asking my hairdresser to shave the side of my head, can't really describe it but its a bit like rihanna here

am 33, if it looks shit, it will grow back right? its only hair

i will also put a pic of myself on here, how my hair looks now - for a VERY short time, so people can judge advise

again, please be honest, i promise i won't be offended grin

<wibble>

mummymeister Tue 25-Jun-13 15:20:34

teenager experimenting with hairstyles - hmm sort of OK. 33 yr old not a good look sorry. it will look awful growing out as well. I stand accused of being ageist that's fine. I just think there are certain things that look crap on older people and this is one of them (boot strap tee shirts with no bra on on a 60+ yr old is another of them!)

MushiMushi Tue 25-Jun-13 15:23:12

I did something like that. I had a side parting so could have the shaved bit exposed when I wanted, and if I wanted to look a bit more respectable I moved the parting to the middle and it was totally concealed. Got a bit bored of it after about a year so now I just have my parting in the middle. It's still growing out but it doesn't bother me in the slightest.

So I say go for it, but in such a way that you're able to hide it if you want.

Don't do it.

It's dated and naff and, to be honest, I'd struggle to take a 33 year old woman who modelled themself on Rihanna (in ANY aspect of their life) seriously.

MoodyDidIt Tue 25-Jun-13 15:31:05

oh just realised my pics didnt upload angry

should be on there now

although suspect won't alter general consensus grin

garlicnutty Tue 25-Jun-13 15:32:01

I stand accused of being ageist that's fine.

Just make a mental note never to bump into me grin

Hair: Lilac & dusty pink
Next month will be: Blue & grey

<offers smelling salts>

QueenoftheHolly Tue 25-Jun-13 15:32:52

Why?

garlicnutty Tue 25-Jun-13 15:34:10

OP, I know you on Facebook! smile smile smile

You are well gamine and stylish enough to carry off a highly-defined style like this!

Trust me, other readers, she's gorgeous!

No, your hair is gorgeous as it is. I'd kill for shiny hair like yours envy

Babbadie Tue 25-Jun-13 15:38:25

Do it! Do it! Do it! Do it!

Your hair is the only accessory you carry around with you ever single day. Make a statement with it.

I think it looks fantastic and I'm getting mine done like it in a few weeks grin

MoodyDidIt Tue 25-Jun-13 15:39:04

oooh who are you on FB garlic!! give me a clue as i have a few mners on there

and thank you lol x

thanks for all the opinions so far, and thank you for the honesty. if it helps i am a bit alternative. ie rocky type

Oh god no. That style is dated anyway and certainly not ok on anyone over 21. It's embarrassing when older people (I mean older than very young, I'm 33 too) copy trends that start with teens/early twenties. Not cool.

You won't look alternative you will look try hard.

Pinkflipflop Tue 25-Jun-13 15:42:18

Sorry but it will look hideous.

Doubtfuldaphne Tue 25-Jun-13 15:42:32

I saw your photos so they're definitely there!
I'd say the trend has gone now - but if you like it still then why not give it a go! You only live once and all that!

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Tue 25-Jun-13 15:45:31

I was working with a lady last week who had a similar style. She's mid-30s and looked ultra-professional in her suit but the hair added a stylish, quirky twist. It'd look shit on me, but really suited her. If you think you can carry it off, go for it, it'll grow back if you hate it.

diddl Tue 25-Jun-13 15:48:52

I think that it looks ridiculous.

OP-you have a lovely hairstyle.

The only thing that would annoy me would be the long floppy bit.

Shorter all over?

AnyFucker Tue 25-Jun-13 15:54:01

Have seen your pic now. You have the small, pretty features that could carry it off

I say give it a go, if the rest of your demeanour/style/makeup suits something unusual

I know it wouldn't suit me as I am rather boring and conventional (jeans, t-shirt and converse girl)

and yes, it will re grow very quickly which helps if you don't take to it, but will add time to the upkeep of course

I had a look at your pics, I think it would suit you. But I also think you should do something different with the floppy bit.

MoodyDidIt Tue 25-Jun-13 16:08:36

yeah i have been thinking that bullet. i have been thinking of bleaching it blonde but as my hair is dyed red am worried it would go a terrible colour grin

and thank you anyfucker thats very kind smile

garlicnutty Tue 25-Jun-13 16:13:14

When you bleach out red, it goes apricot (I knew this experience would come in useful one day!) It can go canary yellow, too, but that can be fixed with a toner.

A painted / dip-dyed effect on your longer side might look good ...

MerryOnMerlot Tue 25-Jun-13 16:17:03

Have seen the pics now Moody but it's still a no from me.

Samu2 Tue 25-Jun-13 16:19:43

I don't like the style. I have one side of my hair shorter than the other and love it, but do not like the shaved look.

However, I think you have the face to pull it off if you want to. It will be a nightmare to grow back but if you like it go for it!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Tue 25-Jun-13 16:23:46

I was trying to say what Bullet said, without offending grin

I don't know it needs another colour, just a slightly different shape.

<you'd laugh if you could see the state of my hair and I'm handing out hair advice grin>

I agree that you have the 'face' for it (pixie & pretty) but the cut is very dated now. Slightly less so if you don't colour it, but have it a single, natural, colour.

Nerfmother Tue 25-Jun-13 16:25:58

I have an undercut on one side and a parting so I can have either longer hair over it or have it showing. I love mine but I think tight undercut not shaved.

MoodyDidIt Tue 25-Jun-13 16:58:20

that sounds nice nerfmother

yeah agree its quite dated now, i remember seeing alice dellall with it a few years ago, probably like 5 years ago tbh, and thinking shock

i should have done it then!!

still tempted though, if i do i might put pics up so you can all laugh at me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now