To think our house might be haunted?

(167 Posts)
SunBathinginNevada Tue 25-Jun-13 14:31:20

I'm a non-believer usually but some weird shit has happened since we moved in 3 weeks ago. The heating keeps turning itself onto the highest setting (it was like a sauna in here yesterday) and we keep finding water splashes up walls when nobody has been in the house.

Last night I went to our bedroom to find all the duvet and pillows off the bed and on the floor. DH swears he didn't do it.

Today I come home from work and my ornamental elephants are laid on their sides with their tusks missing and what appears to be a red liquid leaking from them and onto the carpet. It looks awful. Nobody else has been in the house. AIBU to start wondering if maybe something weird is going on?

gordyslovesheep Sun 04-Aug-13 23:30:42

it isn't - hth x

NandH Sun 04-Aug-13 20:40:45

Ermm?... Op NEVER came back [shocked] ... now that's creepy!!!

HeavenlyYoni Mon 01-Jul-13 22:28:03

Bah humbug, OP!

loveliesbleeding1 Sat 29-Jun-13 17:43:52

Lol at oinkment x

cory Sat 29-Jun-13 14:51:09

bugger, just because I got him off the china ornaments, he's messed up the delete function instead!

It's true: we're hauuuunted!

cory Sat 29-Jun-13 14:50:10

And here for your further information is William Ockham -specially conjured from the dead in a chalk circle-- to give his elucidation of the problem:

for dh to furtively fiddle with thermostat, sneak up to the bedroom to rearrange pillows, wrench tusks of elephants and insert red liquid- fairly hard work

for disgruntled neighbour or previous tenant to gain access to the house and carry out the above operations- very hard work

for Mumsnetter to sit down and type a few words on a keyboard- requires hardly any work at all

<it's ok, William, you can go back now>

<and could you kindly leave those china leopards alone!>

AmberSocks Sat 29-Jun-13 14:41:03

OP come back i want to know whats happened!did you do the hidden camera?

oinkment Sat 29-Jun-13 13:59:43

There are lots of these threads recently.

"I'm probably just being a silly, but I'm starting to think my house might be haunted - there's a perfumed smell in the laundry room just after I take everything out of the tumble dryer, and often the kitchen feels warmer than the rest of the house, and odd socks and biros go missing, oh and the other evening there was a flaming pentagram on the ceiling of my bedroom and when I got up to investigate a 13 foot black snake whooshed out of my sleeping husband's arse and screamed Latin poetry at me, but I don't really believe in woo so I'm sure it's nothing really. What do Mumsnetters think? I'm definitely telling the truth, by the way."

Fakebook Sat 29-Jun-13 13:56:32

I think it's time this thread was resurrected

I'm going to start reading it again tonight, because its flipping scary!

YouTheCat Sat 29-Jun-13 13:46:43

Wasn't there a similar thread to this a few months ago?

Turned out to be utter BS?

TheRealFellatio Sat 29-Jun-13 13:45:56

OK, skipping straight in from page 1, the heating thing can be cause by a faulty thermostat. We had this happen in the middle of summer, the room stat was turned off and the rads kept coming on at the fullest temperature. Turn the each rad off at the wall and get the thermostat and pump looked at.

Have no idea about the elephants though. grin

VitoCorleone Sat 29-Jun-13 13:42:57

Almost had me til the broken elephants covered in red liquid - overkill.

gaggiagirl Sat 29-Jun-13 13:05:20

OP hasn't been back for days.
Either the ghosts got her or we have been had.

charlottehere Sat 29-Jun-13 12:23:04

Marking place

TheVermiciousKnid Sat 29-Jun-13 12:17:15

I totally agree, cory ...

NeopreneMermaid Sat 29-Jun-13 12:14:41

Could the pipes be leaking into the thermostat? That would explain water on the walls AND the thermostat thinking it's really cold so it whacks the heating up full blast. The glue/resin holding the tusks in place then melts in the heat.

You need a plumber, electrician and a heating engineer before you get electrocuted.

cory Sat 29-Jun-13 12:12:37

I did find it amusing that several posters were willing to assume deceit in the shape of an elaborate plot by the poster's dh, any teen children around or even an outside prankster but nobody seemed at all willing to suggest the obvious conclusion.

Surely if we admit the possibility of deceit in the first place, then Ockham's razor demands that we should look for the form that would involve the least effort...

extracrunchy Sat 29-Jun-13 11:35:17

I smell BS...

Buswanker Fri 28-Jun-13 13:26:55

Maybe the OP is the ghost . . .

Buzzardbird Fri 28-Jun-13 11:41:20

Strange that the OP hasn't been back. hmm

loopylou6 Fri 28-Jun-13 11:26:18

marking my place...

seaofyou Fri 28-Jun-13 09:41:10

ohhh how exciting if a ghost!

But not is your DH gaslighting you!

Or worse an old tenent! Change locks rule out one thing at a time.

Put your phone on record voice mode in the area with most activity and see if voices are picked up?

Otherwise set up your mobile etc to record at night and see what happens.

My friend used to do exorisms he is a Fransican Monk.

Fakebook Fri 28-Jun-13 09:33:15

How long does it take to order and recieve a few ornamental elephants from Amazon?

xylem8 Fri 28-Jun-13 09:29:39

I find it very hard really to believe in ghosts, but I have known severaly sensible logical, reasonable even scientific people who claim to have experienced ghosts (particularly in old houses being altered) that it has opened my mind a little.And then as I said upthread when 2 or our 5 children hit puberty we experienced some strange things particularly while they were sleeping.

TweedWasSoLastYear Fri 28-Jun-13 09:13:08

Who you gonna call?????

GHOSTBUSTERS

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now