To think our house might be haunted?

(167 Posts)
SunBathinginNevada Tue 25-Jun-13 14:31:20

I'm a non-believer usually but some weird shit has happened since we moved in 3 weeks ago. The heating keeps turning itself onto the highest setting (it was like a sauna in here yesterday) and we keep finding water splashes up walls when nobody has been in the house.

Last night I went to our bedroom to find all the duvet and pillows off the bed and on the floor. DH swears he didn't do it.

Today I come home from work and my ornamental elephants are laid on their sides with their tusks missing and what appears to be a red liquid leaking from them and onto the carpet. It looks awful. Nobody else has been in the house. AIBU to start wondering if maybe something weird is going on?

unobtanium Tue 25-Jun-13 14:52:57

Oh, my TV has turned itself on a few times, to very loud volume, at about 3 am. Definitely no spookies in my house. Just something weird going on electrically. Same could apply to your thermostat.

Elephants and bed-stripping are harder to explain.

Plant the cameras. This could be interesting...

Pennyacrossthehall Tue 25-Jun-13 14:55:19

Wheresmycaffeinedrip these things fascinate me beyond belief.

Fascination is OK, as long as you know it's not real. wink

dufflefluffle Tue 25-Jun-13 14:55:32

Marking my spot here - fascinating stuff! Could your dh be setting you up????

penny but it is real wink

Fully fledged believer here!! grin

WafflyVersatile Tue 25-Jun-13 15:00:43

changing locks is fairly inexpensive and easy. Change the lever one rather than the yale one (assuming that's what you have)

Take the lever one out and to a local hardware shop and the new one will probably slip right in (ish) You can get 5 lever dead bolts for about £20.

Remember to do the back door too.

It's not ghosts.
No windows left open or openable?
No cat flaps and cat couldn't do all that.
No signs of break-in.
No shared loft space?
That leaves someone who is in possession of a key to your house playing silly-buggers.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 25-Jun-13 15:02:04

The logical explanation is far more frightening than a haunting confused. If these things really are happening and you're convinced your DH isn't to blame, you need to let the police know that someone is getting into your house and doing things that are frightening you.

LifeIsBetterInFlipFlops Tue 25-Jun-13 15:04:00

Agree with Shatners, someone has been in. Do you have any DC?

squoosh Tue 25-Jun-13 15:04:21

I would definitely prefer a ghost to some mortal weirdo breaking in and doing these things.

Change The Locks!

phantomhairpuller Tue 25-Jun-13 15:06:08

I'd be more concerned that someone was getting in tbh. And I'm a fully fledged believer in all things woo.

Keep us posted wink

Fragglewump Tue 25-Jun-13 15:08:51

Elephant massacre is the weirdest by far!!?!?! Wtf!?!

bellasuewow Tue 25-Jun-13 15:12:19

fascinating post, if it is a naughty ghostie then apparently you need to not be fearful, be authoritative, claim your space and point out to them firmly like you would to a child that this is now your house and they no longer live here and they need to stop fiddling with your things. I know how bonkers that sounds but may make you feel better. Or you could tell them to start paying the mortgage and if they are so good at moving stuff around then you expect the laundry to be done when you get back from work and they can clean those window's while they're at it. good luck x

GibberTheMonkey Tue 25-Jun-13 15:17:58

Need a picture of the elephants for sure

Definitely marking my place for this one. How freaky. After the elephant incident, i would definitely be placing some cameras around the house. And then watch the recording behind my hands.

SodaStreamy Tue 25-Jun-13 15:47:44

Oh shock

Neither explaination sounds good does it.

For what it's worth I do believe in ghosts but loads don't.

Fakebook Tue 25-Jun-13 15:57:13

I'd also like to see a picture of the elephants.

Take a bit of the red stuff and lick it.

Clearlymisunderstood Tue 25-Jun-13 16:02:49

I really hope it is your DH messing with you! The other explanations are terrifying!

place marking as very intrigued

Def change locks and set up hidden cameras! shock

Isildur Tue 25-Jun-13 16:18:18

Well your house isn't haunted. If you had an actual, verifiable haunting, you'd be marking a turning point in human history, and make yourself an actual fortune.

What you probably have is dodgy plumbing/leaking pipes behind the walls, and either a practical joker for a family member, or a psycho with a spare set of keys. Or someone with shares in the local 'home security' business.

I suppose it's also possible that your mind is playing tricks on you.

valiumredhead Tue 25-Jun-13 16:20:21

Call the police, someone has been in your house.

Flossiechops Tue 25-Jun-13 16:24:29

Very scary indeed op!

ouryve Tue 25-Jun-13 16:28:04

Tell DH that he needs to organise someone to change the locks. He'll find it easier to sop messing oyu about, if it is him.

ouryve Tue 25-Jun-13 16:28:32

Stop. You. No, my keyboard isn't haunted, either, oddly enough.

mistlethrush Tue 25-Jun-13 16:33:01

Have you got anything you can use to do a recording?

gaggiagirl Tue 25-Jun-13 16:36:31

Does the red liquid smell of anything you have in your house? Cosmetic or food perhaps?
I am woo and that elephant thing has got a touch of Amityville about it but I would be more inclined to find a more logical explanation first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now