To think that the best thing about being grown up

(92 Posts)
WallaceWindsock Tue 25-Jun-13 14:04:16

Is that you can behave like a child without getting told off? grin

Today I've bounced on the bed, eaten a whole bag of sweets and got my shoes muddy. I love the quiet glee at knowing that my mum isn't going to come home and do her stern "WALLACE!"

So AIBU and what things that you weren't allowed to do as a child do you now do with a quiet chuckle of satisfaction?

InNeedOfSense Tue 25-Jun-13 14:06:21

I don't eat curly kale, brussels sprouts or dark green cabbage. (I probably should).

redexpat Tue 25-Jun-13 14:08:11

Saying no if I don't want to do something.

Lottapianos Tue 25-Jun-13 14:09:22

Eating as many sweets or chocolate as you want to is definitely a perk of being grown up smile

I also love:

- not having to go out in the fresh air when it's sunny if I don't feel like it
- lounging in front of the TV for as long as I want to
- staying in bed as long as I want to on the weekends
- having the occasional fag and only having to answer to myself and DP a bit

WafflyVersatile Tue 25-Jun-13 14:09:23

No more eating the crusts. They are not the best bit.

KittyLane1 Tue 25-Jun-13 14:11:19

Eating a pot noodle for breakfast when hungover smile
Wearing whatever I want smile

WallaceWindsock Tue 25-Jun-13 14:12:49

Ooh yes, no crusts! I also refuse to eat sprouts, horrid things. Still cook them at Christmas even though everyone in the hose hates them. It's tradition!

MamaChubbyLegs Tue 25-Jun-13 14:16:08

Being allowed to go out socially with males without being accused of being a slut and a druggie angry

livinginwonderland Tue 25-Jun-13 14:17:47

Being able to eat whatever I want, whenever I want.
Being able to say "no" without getting forced to do it anyway!
Being able to slob out without parents telling to "get some fresh air!"

LadyMaryCrawley Tue 25-Jun-13 14:18:26

Not having to hear the phrases "you keep your oar out", "turn it down" or "we can't afford it".

And being able to, say, close a door normally or speak on the phone at a normal volume or walk sedately across my bedroom floor without being told to keep it down please.

Lottapianos Tue 25-Jun-13 14:19:02

'Wearing whatever I want'

How did I forget this one! Wearing bright blue eyeliner if I feel like it. Growing my hair long and wearing it how I want to.

forevergreek Tue 25-Jun-13 14:22:45

- I stick my feet on coffee table ( mother thinks this is disgusting, I figure I have clean feet/ socks and don't actually eat off the table anyway)

- I have breakfast in bed

- I buy what I like without critism ( although that doesn't happen as she will still go on how ridiculous it is we have brought an expensive holiday/ eat blueberries out of season)

xuntitledx Tue 25-Jun-13 14:25:22

Not having to get dressed if I don't want to and slobbing about in jammies.

My Dad always used to say it 'makes the house look untidy'!

WallaceWindsock Tue 25-Jun-13 14:31:06

YY to wearing what you want and having hair how you want it. I will never forget my DM deciding my hair was too long at 16 ant cutting it from waist length swishy loveliness to a bowl style bob. I cried for weeks. hmm

chrome100 Tue 25-Jun-13 14:47:28

I LOVE being a grown up. When I look back on my childhood, it was characterised by desperately wanting to do things and not being allowed. I had to go to bed when told, eat when and what I was told, tidy up when told blah blah bah.

Even now, at 32, I get a secret thrill about being able to go to bed whenever I like and eat sweets at work and not have to ask permission. It makes all the bills and responsibilites worth it.

trikken Tue 25-Jun-13 14:55:47

Being able to eat chocolate when I want. Being able to play a video game for more than an hour. Play the music I want.

Aniseeda Tue 25-Jun-13 16:12:57

Oh, yes to being able to play video games for as long as I want! Never entirely forgiven my mum for making me switch of my sinclair zx spectrum when I'd got further into a game than I'd ever got before and, of course, in those days you couldn't save (I was about 14 and she'd gone out and come home four hours later to find me in the same position still playing and she went mad and made me get off it!) I never did finish that game!

Itchywoolyjumper Tue 25-Jun-13 16:27:35

I love eating my pudding first and not having enough room for my main course.
Lotta I hate the sunshine and the heat. I hated being papped out to spend my days squinting and sweating and ending up with prickly heat and sunburn. Now, like The Smiths, I can spend long summer days inside grin

YummyYummyYum Tue 25-Jun-13 17:14:22

Read until 1am without being told to sleep. I think my parents wanted 'grown up time' blush

AllegraLilac Tue 25-Jun-13 17:26:32

I ate 12 packets of crisps instead of lunch. Woo adults!

Turniptwirl Tue 25-Jun-13 17:31:11

I do things now which if I had done as a child I would have given up because I wasn't any good at it. I'm no hood now but I have a more adult mentality and enjoy it for what it is!

On a linked note, not worrying about wasting parents money on a hobby that I'm no good at (but hugely enjoy)

thebody Tue 25-Jun-13 17:35:49

Well kinda but when your kids get to teen and beyond its like having 2 sets if parents judging you so both my dm and now my dds think my skirts are too short!!

And I get disapproving looks if I drink more than a few glasses of wine by dds and dss and dm and df!!

Me and dh don't give a crap though ha ha as enjoy pissing them all off.

Hoping grandchildren will be more fun!!

InstantFlowers Tue 25-Jun-13 17:39:41

Have ice-cream BEFORE dinner :D

livinginwonderland Tue 25-Jun-13 18:00:23

or FOR dinner instant grin

superbagpuss Tue 25-Jun-13 18:10:07

when it snowed me and dh had a forced day indoors

we spent hours playing computer games and eating rubbish
said it was just like being a teenager with your bf without worrying about parents coming home and making you clear up, do something productive

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now