To think this picture of a child has been airbrushed???

(107 Posts)
PrettyFlyForAWifi Tue 25-Jun-13 09:03:49

http://tablet.hm.com/gb/product/11624#article=11624-C

Is it me or do this child's legs look unnaturally skinny - please tell me they're not airbrushing kids' thighs now.

YoniBottsBumgina Tue 25-Jun-13 09:31:56

but normal looking girl (although what is with those poses?)

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 25-Jun-13 09:33:30

I think her arms have been airbrushed as well. The material on her upper arms is so smooth - it doesn't tally with how the cardigan looks in the picture on it's own.

Saidar Tue 25-Jun-13 09:33:31

"Her nose looks wrong too."
"Agree the nose is slightly off too. Bizarre."

Jesus wept, as if the sidebar of shame and the treatment of adult women in the media wasn't bad enough we're now picking on young girls. In 25 posts we've gone from "Do you think this is airbrushed, that would be wrong" to "well her nose looks wrong and bizarre".

comelywenchlywoo Tue 25-Jun-13 09:33:34

Dear oh dear. Hope her DM isn't on MN.

I don't think it's been airbrushed, she's a slim child, her left leg looks thicker because of the fabric of the jeans stretched across due to the way she's standing. Her nose looks fine to me. Most people's faces aren't completely symmetrical.

HeathRobinson Tue 25-Jun-13 09:36:13

Some people have small wrists, making their hands look bigger in comparison. Mine are less than 16 cms.

landofsoapandglory Tue 25-Jun-13 09:39:27

No, she has not been airbrushed. Some people have skinny arms and legs, I am one of them. When I was a child my limbs were thinner than hers. Even now, at 5'4 and 8stone4 my legs are too thin for super skinny jeans, they are still a bit baggy on me.

She looks like a naturally thin, pretty girl to me, and I can't see any problem with her nose.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Tue 25-Jun-13 09:39:49

Heath - 16cms isn't an especially small wrist - mine are less than that and my hands don't look huge, quite the opposite.

SoupDragon Tue 25-Jun-13 09:40:44

I can't help thinking that if they were airbrushing they might have cleaned her thumbnail, which looks a little grubby.

emsyj Tue 25-Jun-13 09:41:11

If you look at some of the other pics of the same model wearing different stuff on the website then she appears to have a very narrow body and small frame with, yes, skinny legs. I think it just looks out of proportion on the linked photo because she's wearing a loose top which makes her top half look bigger than it is. But I'm not an expert.

WildlingPrincess Tue 25-Jun-13 09:43:02

I don't think it's been airbrushed. Her nose looks fine too!

HeathRobinson Tue 25-Jun-13 09:43:28

Ali - that's good to know. I usually get someone commenting on how small they are, even my GP. Maybe I've just got big hands! grin

SoupDragon Tue 25-Jun-13 09:43:47

She is wearing skinny jeans which, by their nature, cling to her legs and make them look even thinner. The boys are all wearing looser fitting jeans.

AmberLeaf Tue 25-Jun-13 09:45:32

Not sure, but I think it appears 'odd' because it is a little girl in a somewhat adult woman pose, she has been 'done up' ie hair to look more adult, so her body shape seems odd because she isn't a woman but a little girl, if that makes sense?

Her head/hair style looks grown up so you are expecting to see a womans body below and it obviously isn't.

I think pictures of child models quite probably are digitally enhanced though.

AmberLeaf Tue 25-Jun-13 09:46:15

...and there is nothing wrong with her nose, she is a beautiful little girl.

trikken Tue 25-Jun-13 09:49:41

Its an odd pose but I dont think it's been airbrushed.

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Tue 25-Jun-13 09:49:57

I think they have shaved a bit off her thighs. Its easy to cut in some fake wrinkles down the side and I think that's what they have done. They've done it on the left side of the leg on the left and on the right side of the leg on the right.

DeWe Tue 25-Jun-13 09:51:05

She looks the same shape as dd2 to me.

PrettyFlyForAWifi Tue 25-Jun-13 09:53:01

Absolutely gorgeous little girl and wtf, her nose is perfect!
Am emailing h and m to ask if they airbrush children's images - will let you know if they reply. how utterly depressing if they do, though.
FWIW I'm fairly skinny and in photos my wrists can look tiny and my hands weirdly if even though they're small too.

PrettyFlyForAWifi Tue 25-Jun-13 09:53:43

I mean, how depressing if they do airbrush, not how depressing if they reply!

TheRealFellatio Tue 25-Jun-13 09:58:11

I don't think they have airbrushed her to look thinner - I really don't. what I think has happened though, is when a photo is superimposed onto a completely plain background with no shadows like that, they must someone 'cut out' the original image and lay it over a new background, so the edges of the picture can sometimes look slightly too smooth and unnatural. I imagine that is what has happened here.

trice Tue 25-Jun-13 09:59:45

I think the photo has been badly cropped. She is a pretty girl but they have made her look odd. I have no objection to skinny kids at all but I find catalogue photography and post photo processing makes everyone look bizarre.

Sarah1611 Tue 25-Jun-13 10:00:42

Does look weird... But could be completely normal!

sydlexic Tue 25-Jun-13 10:00:49

Let's pull a young girl apart, you should be ashamed. She just looks slim.

bootsycollins Tue 25-Jun-13 10:01:44

I think the left legs been airbrushed.

worriedsick100 Tue 25-Jun-13 10:03:10

looks very wrong to me. she looks like a puppet. very airbrushed I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now