ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

...to think this is the ugliest word in the English language?

(187 Posts)
DarceyBissell Mon 24-Jun-13 19:18:10

...gobsmacked.
I have heard even BBC types say it, politicians even.
Every time I hear it I want to puncture my own eardrums. Ugly, crass, lazy, crude.
Also hate nouns as verbs - mothballed, torched etc.
Think I am too sensitive for this world.
Any other words/phrases make you see red?

Primadonnagirl Mon 24-Jun-13 20:08:04

My friend calls pyjamas "piggies"as in "can't wait to get into my piggies " and it makes me want to smash her in the face,lovely as she is.

littlehandcuffs Mon 24-Jun-13 20:08:50

As in the lyrics of "Penny Lane" a fish and fingered pie : )

MalcolmTuckersMum Mon 24-Jun-13 20:09:27

What's a m*nge?

I've never seen a word spelled with a * before - how modern! What does it mean?

ShatnersBassoon Mon 24-Jun-13 20:11:43

Mange, it's a skin disease in animals. It's pretty upsetting to some people I guess.

ParadiseChick Mon 24-Jun-13 20:14:34

Baw bag

Jidget Mon 24-Jun-13 20:15:59

Handkerchief sounds disgusting to me.

And I'm sorry, but I always cringe when I see the poster wankerchief on here. I'm sure you're lovely but your name makes me boak, sorry.

OnTheNingNangNong Mon 24-Jun-13 20:17:11

Panties is a horrid word. It makes me shudder.

everlong Mon 24-Jun-13 20:20:24

Portion. That's the worst.

I don't like 'scanty' because it makes me think of the description 'scanty discharge'.

But my all time least favourite word is 'besoin' in French. The combination of those phonemes just makes me want to gag.

Cherriesarelovely Mon 24-Jun-13 20:24:56

Anything twee like ....popped instead of put, veggies instead of vegetables. Also the phrases "of an eveni g" and "just the one".

KnittedC Mon 24-Jun-13 20:31:04

So many awful words have been mentioned, but the one word I literally cannot bring myself to say is 'snot'. Gah, that makes me feel bad even to type it.

digerd Mon 24-Jun-13 20:42:49

Gobsmacked just means shocked beyond words or stunned. How about flabbergasted, then? I think the former is more descriptive.

loveliesbleeding1 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:45:35

Sourced ..as in "such and such sourced this sofa from ikea" makes me feel bleugh

Panties

ColinButterfly Mon 24-Jun-13 20:47:39

I think the only rational hatred I have is for a word that isn't actually a word but seems to be written on Facebook and such....

Omnomnom

PeanutPatty Mon 24-Jun-13 20:48:08

Clunge.

We have The Inbetweeners to thank for that wee gem confused

maddening Mon 24-Jun-13 20:48:13

Titties sad

portraitoftheartist Mon 24-Jun-13 20:48:46

Agatha

ChairmanWow Mon 24-Jun-13 20:51:46

'On trend' makes me feel so, so stabby. Anyone who says this is a vacuous cunt.

Also 'can I get...?' instead of 'can I have...?'. I hate hearing people order food or drinks in this way. No, you can't get it - that would involve you physically going into the kitchen and bringing it back. I know this makes me a pedant but it's grammatically incorrect, goddammit.

DarceyBissell Mon 24-Jun-13 20:51:54

Not sure why but the word 'darling' makes my toes curl.

HoppinMad Mon 24-Jun-13 20:52:44

'Puke' is an awful word though I use it occasionally when I forget how much I hate it

Nowt wrong with a lovely cuppa or a nice butty shock lucky you dont live uuupp nooorth then!

Stabby. Gah. Boak. Nethuns. Oh wait.... [Hmm]

MyBoysAreFab Mon 24-Jun-13 20:54:17

lovelies I agree can't stand when people "source" things.

Also hate panties, and when people call cling film "cling"

GinGirl Mon 24-Jun-13 20:59:16

Moist, thought it was the worst word ever until I met Moist Von Lipwig - who I actually have a slight crush on...

DarceyBissell Mon 24-Jun-13 21:00:05

Chairman - being a pedant, grammar-wise, is a good thing.
We have our own corner on MN.

ChairmanWow Mon 24-Jun-13 21:17:45

Oh good darcy. Can I take a seat?

I suspect this thread will draw me back again and again. Other pet hates: 'product' for anything beauty related (I mean, anything can be a product. Dog food is a product but you don't smear it in your shitting hair do you?); and 'vintage' as in 'I love buying vintage'. Vintage what? We used to call it second hand in my day. Get over yourself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now