Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel vaguely annoyed about the teacher's present collection?

(178 Posts)
prettybutclumpy Mon 24-Jun-13 16:33:48

I have been collecting donations for my DC's teacher at school with another really lovely mum. She suggested that all the children should sign the card rather than just the kids whose parents had donated to the present. I think about half the class parents have donated, the others may be doing their own thing or not think teacher's presents are necessary. I don't have any issues with either of these positions. However....AIBU to be vaguely annoyed that the teacher, if she does her sums, might think the average donation wasn't much when most donating parents have given a fiver, and some even a tenner?

RetroRita Mon 24-Jun-13 16:36:11

Oh god get over it.

Have the good grace to let all the kids sign and find something worth worrying about it

For what its worth, I doubt very much the teacher will be doing any adding it. She probably has a lot more interesting things to do.

And if your so desperate for her to know you donated a tenner, stick it in a separate envelope and sign it in capitals wink

Sirzy Mon 24-Jun-13 16:37:46

The teacher won't care.

Let all the children sign it. It's a present from the whole class so the whole class should be able to sign the card.

EeyoreIsh Mon 24-Jun-13 16:38:59

The teacher won't care!

prettybutclumpy Mon 24-Jun-13 16:40:29

Rita I didn't! But thanks for your advice! I'll go off and do something more constructive now smile

Lancelottie Mon 24-Jun-13 16:40:35

Teacher will, in fact, be more likely to cherish the card full of wobbly signatures longer than the present.

Startail Mon 24-Jun-13 16:41:33

YABU the card is from the Pupils, the money is from the parents. A child who's parents are broke or forgetful still deserves to be included.

Anyway the logistics of handing a card round the DCs say you may sign, but your mum hasn't paid so you can't is just unworkable.

A collection is meant to be anonymous, that's the point.

sparklekitty Mon 24-Jun-13 16:42:26

RetroRita - you know us teachers love a well labelled envelope for money smile

Startail Mon 24-Jun-13 16:42:42

And I need to type faster

Footface Mon 24-Jun-13 16:43:00

Thank f* the other mum has sense

KobayashiMaru Mon 24-Jun-13 16:43:02

Any teacher that works out the value given per pupil wouldn't deserve a gift anyway. I doubt they would.

I can testify (adult ed) that the card is massively more important than the present. I got a crappy plant from one very marginalised class (homeless men) which I promptly killed (as I do to all flowering plant, they hate me) but I still have and treasure the card. Some literacy problems so I was extremely touched that they had all signed and written messages.

FreudiansSlipper Mon 24-Jun-13 16:45:23

YABU

how petty would you like the children to inform the teacher how much their parents contributed too

Please say you're taking the piss?
If you're not, YABU.

sooperdooper Mon 24-Jun-13 16:46:29

Who on earth 'does her sums' on the value of a present v's the names on a card, it's a bit odd you've even considered it

Tee2072 Mon 24-Jun-13 16:47:11

hmm

currywurst3 Mon 24-Jun-13 16:47:33

How about you make a "my mother donated a tenner" badge for your child to wear to school so that the teacher can appreciate how superior you and you offspring are?

RetroRita Mon 24-Jun-13 16:48:31

Freudian I'm surprised the OP hasn't suggested writing how much the parent donated next to each child's name in the card

ShatnersBassoon Mon 24-Jun-13 16:49:40

YABU. If you wanted your generosity to be noticed, you shouldn't have gone down the mass collection route.

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 24-Jun-13 16:50:30

I just have a suspicion the teacher will be relieved to get away.

Elquota Mon 24-Jun-13 16:51:00

YABU. Not everyone is mercenary.

ArthurSixpence Mon 24-Jun-13 16:51:07

Perhaps you could give the kids different coloured pens to use depending on how much their parent's have contributed? The kids probably won't think to ask about the colours and will just assume it's so the card is colourful.

Then you can sellotape a key explaining what the colours mean on to the back of the card before it is presented - I'd suggest the following system:

£0 - blue pen
£0.01 to £1 - black pen
£1 to £3 - red pen
£3 to £5 - green pen
£5.01 + - gold pen

intheshed Mon 24-Jun-13 16:52:39

I would just let all the kids who want to do it sign the card. Teachers know how these things work I am sure they know who would have donated anyway.

And next time just give her a £ 10 gift voucher.

I HATE these all class donation things, what a way to make parents feel like shit if they can't afford it, or to get people's backs up if maybe they wanted to choose a thoughtful gift themselves, not just give a fiver for you to decide what to do with it.

RetroRita Mon 24-Jun-13 16:53:24

Arthur I think the red should be used for those who contributed nothing - so it is glaring obvious

valiumredhead Mon 24-Jun-13 16:54:32

You're kidding, right?shock

Lance is right, she'll love the card far more than the present.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now