Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to ask if you do "Flashdance bra removal"?

(188 Posts)
amazingmumof6 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:33:24

I don't like wearing bras. when I get home ( back from school run etc) I always take them off.
especially when I was pg (every time) I had to take them off quickly at odd locations, when I felt sick - although normally in the car,

but I either can't take my t-shirt or top off coz II was/am in public or just can't be bothered.

so I do it the "Flasdance" way ever since I saw the film. it's quicker.

is it just me or others do this too?

Catmint Mon 24-Jun-13 19:22:02

I can do it.

Am also a front hooker/spinner, this is very difficult to do if damp, wrenching the bra round can cause back injury. (Ask me how I know, ouch!)

amazingmumof6 Mon 24-Jun-13 19:30:56

stat that is excellent advice!thanks

be my bra guru, please!smile

ZebraOwl Mon 24-Jun-13 19:38:58

I have an unfortunate tendency to [partially] dislocate my shoulders if I try to do my bra up at the back...

I've also never seen Flashdance but am well-practised at Removing Bra Whilst Retaining Top. I use it when changing for ballet, too...

Bunbaker Mon 24-Jun-13 19:44:54

No. I don't find bras uncomfortable. I look like a boy without one anyway sad

amazingmumof6 Mon 24-Jun-13 19:53:12

\ tennis _tennis /

tennis bra!grin

SoTiredAgain Mon 24-Jun-13 20:08:34

Just did it. Ah, the sweet relief!

amazingmumof6 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:09:42

that reminds me - oh yes, bra's off.

relief! grin

Amazing if you feel brave enough to post your underboob and dangling forward overboob measurements then I'm sure more than one of us will be able to give you some suggestions of sizes to try. There is a thread in S&B if you don't want to do it on this one or you could pm. The bra interventions on here have been great and prompted me to post a comment on the DM website the other day when they reported Courtney Thingamewhatsit as a DD cup when she clearly isn't grin

Posted too soon...

There have been lots of MNers who have been in uncomfortable bras that they couldn't wait to get out of at the end of the day. After advice on here, almost all are now in comfy ones smile

amazingmumof6 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:42:55

yep, why not, I have no dignity leftgrin

(not with the amount of knickers-dropping through my pgs, births and bf watched by student MW and Docs and HVs)

I'll figure out what measurements are needed.

Underboob - hold tape quite tight
Overboob - no bra and bend over so that they dangle towards the floor and then loosely measure. It's very glamorous grin

Banderchang Mon 24-Jun-13 20:48:10

No, no, no, you CAN be a front hooker with a correctly fitting bra, but you need to do the front hooking with the bra at waist height, then spin it round, THEN hoick it further up into position. I always front hook mine, and have very well-fitting bras.

Measuring guide is on that site, but basically:

tits oot!

Measure underbust in inches, firmly - no loosey goosey measuring
Bend forward, as close to 90 degrees as you can manage without toppling. Measure around the widest /lowest part. Basically take overbust measurement whilst leaning over.This is a looser measure - you don't want to be pulling them up at all

HSMMaCM Mon 24-Jun-13 20:50:21

Did it just a second before spotting this thread grin

Used to be a front hooker ... Now rear hooker. Sometimes I just can't get the hooks to meet and ask DH to help and he just wails "this bra's too small" - useless!

Lweji Mon 24-Jun-13 20:52:15

Will it seem very wrong that I first heard of it from a teacher at Uni? grin

Actually, it was in the context of being able to release two people from each other when both their hands were tied.
Sounds worse?
hmm

wink

Just a magic sort of trick, though.

That could work admittedly Banderchang- as long as you're not an apple shape smile

amazingmumof6 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:54:12

banderchang

that is exactly how I do it!

but now I want to make you all laugh.......

amazingmumof6 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:55:02

...||...
tennis tennis

tennis balls! grin

Just did it <easily led>. I do tend to pull the loosened bra out of the bottom of my top (IYSWIM confused) rather than through the armhole though a la Rachel from Friends/me when younger. Harder to wiggle a wired F-cup to freedom blush

I don't think I've ever seen Flashdance! I'm 38 so can't even claim to be too young!

plainjaney Mon 24-Jun-13 21:04:33

Funnily enough Id been thinking today that my Bra's weren't fitting comfortably, the straps are falling off my shoulders at the tightest. I've lost a fair bit of weight and not been resized so telling me that because I can spin my bra you are probably right blush

This weekend I shall get measured!

plainjaney...be careful re getting fitted in stores. Only places who fit properly, consistently are Bravissimo, Leia, Rigby and Peller and John Lewis. and a few independents. Most othhers getting it sooooo wrong

M&S, fitting a 30HH in a 36F, I AM looking at you. Yes, you!

Plain where will you get measured? The high street can be awful at it, especially m&s. Can you do it yourself?

plainjaney Mon 24-Jun-13 21:23:22

Ohh girls I dont know now! Was considering the high street but not so sure now.
Last time I bought bras was when Id lost weight, I reasoned as I was a 38dd I must now be a 36dd and thats where I am currently but they don't fit properly.

Might make DH's day and ask him to do it for me smile

What dress size are you plainjaney?

I'm a size 20 and wear a 36 band.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now