To think it's an old wives tale?

(22 Posts)
Thepursuitofhappiness Mon 24-Jun-13 09:55:15

My auntie told me off for letting 16 week old stand up ( bearing weight). He loves it. She told me it will make him bow legged? AIBU to dismiss this as an old wives' tale?

Feminine Mon 24-Jun-13 09:56:08

its a tale.

All mine did it. They have strong legs!

Don't worry! smile

Fakebook Mon 24-Jun-13 10:04:16

Rickets give you bow legs not standing.

You should hold his upper body when you do it as they can't support their backs, obviously. Also try putting a cushion near his feet when he's laying down so he can push on it with his feet, they like that too.

AnyFucker Mon 24-Jun-13 10:05:35

Your auntie is being silly

helibee Mon 24-Jun-13 10:09:56

I have a video of both my boys at 16 weeks walking if you held their hands. They were weight bearing from very early on and walking at 9 months and neither have now legs grin

helibee Mon 24-Jun-13 10:10:25

bow rather than now!

sashh Mon 24-Jun-13 10:11:12

Never heard that one before, and teaching international students you come across some corkers.

freddiefrog Mon 24-Jun-13 10:12:09

My grandmother used to say the same.

My mum got it when my brother and I were kids, then it we my turn when I had mine.

None of us have bow legs

mrsjay Mon 24-Jun-13 10:13:26

babies have springy legs and the old wives tale was because of the shape the legs make when they stand the old wives thought they would stick and also somebody else said rickets make you bow legged, I cant imagine a baby walking at 9 months shock I know a woman whos little boy is 10 months and walking that must be a nightmare

Thepursuitofhappiness Mon 24-Jun-13 10:34:28

Thanks for the advice...will keep on standing DS up in that case smile

AnyFucker Mon 24-Jun-13 10:35:36

Don't put him in a baby walker for hours on end though

BeeWi Mon 24-Jun-13 10:47:45

A myth, but generally physios will advise against putting babies into positions that they can't move themselves into, such as sitting and standing, as it can hamper the way in which their muscles develop.

mrsjay Mon 24-Jun-13 10:54:30

yes babies must always be supported and not stand for too long maybe that is where the old wives tale came from ?

JazzDalek Mon 24-Jun-13 10:57:41

I thought it was good for them actually (properly supported obv, and for short periods of time).

My DS used to do it a lot, walked at 10 months, WAS bow-legged for a while but straightened out nicely by the time he was 2-3.

mrsjay Mon 24-Jun-13 11:00:07

babies are bow legged though they have that bendy gap

honeytea Mon 24-Jun-13 11:01:02

My ds has slightly bowed legs, I was told to encourage him to stand as usually when they stand the bowed legs correct themselves.

BeeWi Mon 24-Jun-13 11:11:37

No, it's not really very good for them. They might walk or sit earlier by being helped to, but quite often the muscles will not develop as 'true' as if they had done it at their own, natural pace. Pikler, amongst others, thinks you can tell which adults were allowed to develop movements such as sitting and standing at their own pace, rather han being hurried by adults, by the way in which they move (they're said to be more graceful, amongst other stuff).

Feminine Mon 24-Jun-13 14:02:21

I don't think it actually anything to do with getting babies walking as such though bee. My children all did this while on my lap. Couldn't stop them! smile

They naturally walk at a yr, not particularly early.

Feminine Mon 24-Jun-13 14:02:39

*walked

helibee Tue 25-Jun-13 18:51:36

We certainly never ''made" either ds stand or try to walk, just that my boys were desperate to be on their feet smile

Ds2 could also crouch down and straighten up without holding onto anything by 10 months. It was just a natural physical progression for him.

RedHelenB Tue 25-Jun-13 18:55:11

My dd did the opposite - stood up by herself in the centre of the room at 8 months & then walked a week or so later, no cruising the furniture for her!

sweetkitty Tue 25-Jun-13 18:58:08

My mother and her cronies said babies must have baby walkers as it helps strengthen their legs hmm I couldn't summon the every to explain they were supported by the seat and used their toes to move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now