Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To wonder when it became acceptable to through glasses/ bottles of piss at a concert?

(33 Posts)
Bearbehind Sun 23-Jun-13 21:34:16

I went to a concert this weekend and the standing area was full of flying glasses and bottles of piss from skanky bastards who were too lazy to go to the loo and risk lose their place in the crowd. Who on earth thinks that this is acceptable behaviour?

'What musician is that good that you'd run the risk of having piss thrown at you if you go to see them?'

Dave Grohl grin

SGB, I just actually cried laughing at your post!!!

Thank god I've never experienced this, I'd throw up <very easily triggered gag reflex>.

AmberLeaf Mon 24-Jun-13 03:14:07

Agree, that would never happen at a hip hop gig.

It's disgusting. If I got hit by someones piss and I knew who had thrown it, I would beat them up. I mean that!

What musician is that good that you'd run the risk of having piss thrown at you if you go to see them?

I'm into hip hop and I've never seen or heard of this happening at a hip hop gig.

Er, sometimes it's criticism. Not that I've ever done any such thing myself of course, the only time I was moved to hurl something at a performer it was an empty plastic cup, but I remember discussing the then-new phenomenon of the SheWee cardboard doodahs and whether or not they would make it easier for us burds to join in the critical commentary on particularly rubbish live acts like the Stone Roses and suggesting that someone ought to sponsor a Specially-for-Coldplay device that you could shit in and hurl at the stage...

GreatGretzky Mon 24-Jun-13 01:28:24

YANBU. Got hit with a cup of something during Blur at Hyde Park last year. I told myself it was warm beer but I'm pretty sure it wasn't really!

StuntGirl Mon 24-Jun-13 00:48:31

Better than the bag of shit that got thrown at my mate though...

Xales Mon 24-Jun-13 00:15:30

Yeah I remember this to at Donnington mid 80s. Yuck.

Not just festivals. Happened when I went to see Amy Winehouse, Kings of Leon, Artic Monkeys and Oasis. Puts me off to be honest. Even at Robbie on Tuesday a girl pissed right outside the stadium on the floor. Grim!

StuntGirl Mon 24-Jun-13 00:06:08

Obv. that should say "Er"!

StuntGirl Mon 24-Jun-13 00:05:22

E, it's not a new phenomenon...think it became acceptable about 1970-something grin

Sadly we were under the zip line when the big bottle war broke out.

Oh I loved that! Haven't seen a good bottle fight for years. Trying to walk over the remnants to get out at the end though...that was interesting!

Sorelip Mon 24-Jun-13 00:03:24

At Reading in 2008, bottles of piss and other fluids were being lobbed everywhere. I wore a raincoat to be safe. At one point when lots of bottles and cups were being thrown, I remember someone in the crowd shouting "It's OK, it's OK...it was cold!"

GiveItYourBestShot Sun 23-Jun-13 23:59:45

Yep...another survivor of the flying quarter-gallon cans at Donington. The two things that attracted most bottles were putting up a brolly or putting your girlfriend on your shoulders.

freddiefrog Sun 23-Jun-13 23:32:05

I thought it was usually confined to the bigger ones too, and couldn't believe it when it happened at a little local tribute band festival last year.

A group of us go and stay with another friend who lives near 2 fairly popular ones and its happened time we've been, whether we were watching Paul McCartney, Stone Roses, Bruce Springsteen, Foo Fighters or Pink. It's revolting. I've taken to wearing those plastic poncho things

missingmumxox Sun 23-Jun-13 23:28:24

Me monsters of Rock also, mid 90's Areosmith played, It was so well known my friends had taken a huge tarpaulin and we practices every time some piss filled container came backwards, someone would shout "INCOMING" in tribute to MASH and we would haul the tarp over our heads and emerge unscathed, twas much fun for us and added to the whole hilarity of the event....but then again, we had a tarp.

ThingummyBob Sun 23-Jun-13 23:19:59

Its truly gross and as a seasoned festival go-er I never knew of it happening until recent years. Even happens at the free 'family friendly pop' gig they do in Leeds every year. The scumbags.

EvenBetter Sun 23-Jun-13 23:14:11

Souredstones I'm crying with laughter at that! 😹

So glad I don't go to festivals

ChazDingle Sun 23-Jun-13 21:47:59

i also remember monsters of rock in the early 90s. You weren't allowed to take in your own drinks only if they were in a massive gallon container and i remember even them getting chucked after people had pissed in them. gross.

battlestarB Sun 23-Jun-13 21:47:17

that's rank but i remember going to see the rolling stones at wembley in 1992 and a girl in front just took down her pants and pissed on the ground, which was covered with some spongey surface so it trickled down to everyone behind her. durty cow

wouldn't have minded so much if it were mid-set but they didn't appear on stage for at least half an hour after this and she could have easily just gone to the loos.

DuelingFanjo Sun 23-Jun-13 21:47:05

It happened at Reading festival 1987, so probably something that was going on at Woodstock or even before.

pigletmania Sun 23-Jun-13 21:45:14

Absolutely grim, filthy bastards

KittyTwatknicker Sun 23-Jun-13 21:43:46

YANBU it is grim. However, back in the day when I used to go to Donnington Monsters of Rock (when it was good and I was young), part of the endurance test was to walk through the bottles of piss fight without getting drenched, to get back to the car.

Oh those were the days...we knew how to live!

Souredstones Sun 23-Jun-13 21:42:48

Only experienced that at festivals tbh and it's gross. Worst was this years download and they had a zip line across the crowd of the main stage. People got stuck on it and by the end of the weekend people were having bottles and cups launched at them, including ones full of piss. Sadly we were under the zip line when the big bottle war broke out.

freezation Sun 23-Jun-13 21:42:46

My DH and I were at the V festival a few years ago and the bloke behind us decided to piss up the back of DH's legs. Luckily he was wearing wellies. The bloke was so drunk that when DH pushed him away he collapsed in a heap...

rocketupbum Sun 23-Jun-13 21:41:55

Oooh, I agree. If I caught someone doing it I would be sorely tempted to punch them. Just put it on the fucking floor you skanky bastard. (can you tell I have some experience of being hit by warm wet splashes?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now