To think if you're taking a baby of under 18 months out for a meal

(108 Posts)
Souredstones Sun 23-Jun-13 19:24:16

It's ok to take some small toys for them but under no circumstances is it ok to take the annoying noisy battery operated ones especially if you're going to set them off and the child proceeds to ignore them.

BrianTheMole Mon 24-Jun-13 16:54:23

YANBU op. Noisy toys are bloody annoying. I'd far rather hear loud parenting than be forced to listen to a crappy noisy toy.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 24-Jun-13 16:49:32

Yanbu.

anklebitersmum Mon 24-Jun-13 16:45:11

A noisy toy is noisy by definition, avoidable and therefore rude by default.

Yes, ven the most perfectly well behaved child is quite capable of 'having the strop of the century' or "TALKING LIKE THIS" when it's least appropriate. But a noisy toy is noisy regardless.
-- until you remove the batteries and shove em up the parent's harris--

quesadilla Mon 24-Jun-13 16:42:07

I'd say depends on the place. Posh, quiet setting its really not on but in a rowdy pub for Sunday lunch or a child friendly place where there is a reasonable expectation of kids running amok being there it wouldn't bother me.

Yabu, i'd prefer a noisy toy to a screaming child, they were doing the right thing by keeping their toddler entertained for themselves & others.

KellyElly Mon 24-Jun-13 15:59:16

I would rather hear a noisy toy than have a restless toddler tearing round a restaurant. If the volume is turned down low enough it should not really be making any more noise than the loud conversations etc already going on.

Flobbadobs Mon 24-Jun-13 14:20:20

I did this once, was mortified after about 2 minutes of the sodding vtech bear and how loud it suddenly went!
Now if taking a toddler out I just order noodles (for her) and a dustpan and brush (for afterwards) Easier and quieter grin

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Jun-13 14:19:55

YANBU - I've temporarily stored all the fucking annoying beeping, buzzing, shapes are in my cookie jar instruments of parental torture in this house to give my own sanity a break for a couple of weeks (and it's made a marked difference to DD1's playing to be honest - instead of just mashing a button to play a brainfrying song repeatedly)... there's no way I'd inflict them on an innocent public - I take things out to amuse DD1 - but never the noisy stuff.

On the other hand - I take ALL the electronic shit to visit grandparents. If they bought all the most annoying specimens of them - they deserve to share in the joy!

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Mon 24-Jun-13 13:52:32

YANBU purely because I want to commit murder dispose of the talking toys in our house.

As for if they were wrong, I honestly don't know. All I know is a parent encouraging their child to do the 'Peppa Pig Snort' risks death by chucked pram. blush I hate my toddler group.

mrsjay Mon 24-Jun-13 13:46:58

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH*DaaaaAAAAAH?"
"That's a RED tractor."
"DaaaaaAAAAAH?"
"That's a BLUE tractor."
"DaaaaaAAAAH?"
"That's ANOTHER blue tractor."
"DaaaaaAAAAA?"
Etc etc.*

^^ made me laugh

Shelby2010 Mon 24-Jun-13 13:42:38

Why do people always suggest crayons to entertain toddlers? At that age my DD would scribble for 5 seconds on the paper, try and scribble on tablecloth, chair etc Try to eat said crayons & then finally settle for dropping them on the floor & wailing for them to be picked up. They still don't hold her attention if we are out somewhere noisy or busy, but at least she doesn't eat them so much!

Tincletoes Sun 23-Jun-13 22:16:13

I am relieved I had my daughter last sometimes. Had she been my pfb no doubt I too would have been smug in how wonderfully she behaved, and how it was all down to my superb interaction. She would be quite happy with some books and people watching.

However she wasn't born first, and her elder brother was horrendous at that age. Just a different personality. And we avoided taking him to gourmet restaurants! But sorry, we'd have taken him to a pub on a Sunday and as others have said, would have assumed playing with a noisy toy would have been preferable to screaming.

HooverFairy Sun 23-Jun-13 22:05:15

Maybe the toy wouldn't have seemed so irritating had the baby actually been interested in it, but the baby ignored it and the parents ignored the baby. To me, THAT is the irritating aspect, not the toy.

Slightly O/T, this reminds me of the AIBU where the poster's neighbour had complained about her 3yo making a noise early on a morning whilst playing. Turns out said 3yo was playing with some sort of mental, singing, sit on donkey thing. I think sometimes parents can forget how irritating some toys can be, it's not always a deliberate ploy to annoy those around them.

NatashaBee Sun 23-Jun-13 21:52:49

I was on a 4 hour flight once with a 3 year old who had only one toy to entertain them... A kazoo. I'd have loved some noisy battery operated toys that day!

If it's a family restaurant, sorry but suck it up.

I personally hate noisy toys full-stop, try to avoid them in my house and certainly don't take them out but don't get annoyed with anyone who does. They're babies. I'm sure other diners have been annoyed with me singing the 'wheels in the bus' but I take the kids to family-friendly restaurants so you have to expect this

Buzzardbird Sun 23-Jun-13 21:26:20

These toys usually have a quieter setting ime. I wouldn't have ever taken noisy toys out to a restaurant though. Even on hol when she needed to sleep a dvd with headphones sufficed.

mamij Sun 23-Jun-13 21:14:21

I can see your point op, but was the rest of the restaurant so quiet that all you could hear was the noisy toy? I would rather the noisy toy noise than other loud customers!

crashdoll Sun 23-Jun-13 21:09:47

Westie The baby wasn't interested in the toy though.

Nishky Sun 23-Jun-13 21:06:51

westie people who are trying to eat a meal I expect

Babies in my experience can be fascinated and entertained by a whole host of things that are not noisy

JesusInTheCabbageVan Sun 23-Jun-13 21:03:20

Would you prefer me and 18mo DS and his (silent) tractor book?

"DaaaaAAAAAH?"
"That's a RED tractor."
"DaaaaaAAAAAH?"
"That's a BLUE tractor."
"DaaaaaAAAAH?"
"That's ANOTHER blue tractor."
"DaaaaaAAAAA?"
Etc etc.

We are both so terribly, terribly tired of tractors. So is everyone else in our local café, I imagine.

WestieMamma Sun 23-Jun-13 20:59:09

YABU

My little one is only 10 weeks old and loves his musical crab. It clips to the hood of the pram over his head and has music and flashing lights. He cries when it stops. We went out for a meal this afternoon and Crabby went too. What sort of meanie begrudges a little baby being entertained by their favourite toy sad

VikkiiKawaii Sun 23-Jun-13 20:50:22

YABU! I have a fifteen month old and things like her rattle and toy telephone are the only things that would keep her quiet while we're eating out. I don't see why we should have to avoid bringing her out to child-friendly places (the pub we go to has a small children's area). She would maybe scribble on paper for about five minutes but it's not something which would keep her occupied for a whole meal.

Whilst simultaneously looking around to gain eye contact with anyone

ali loud parenting is basically over enthusiastic , loud interacting and talking to your child.

"Shall we order the lobster Alexander , you like lobster don't you ? We had it in holiday in the Caribbean do you remember Alexander. We stayed in that hotel with the huge beds....... Etc "

smile

Thurlow Sun 23-Jun-13 20:43:35

YANBU. I have an 18mo, it's a nightmare age for eating out. I'd work through books, crayons, quiet toys, and then if she really wouldn't sit reasonably still and was making loads of noise then one of our party would just accept defeat and take her outside for a walk for five minutes.

You can do different things with different children at different ages. Certain ages are just not good for sitting still in a restaurant for an hour or so. Plan accordingly. Expecting everyone else in a restaurant to put up with running, screaming or a loud, inane electronic toy isn't fair, and quite frankly smacks a bit of "my child is more important than anyone else."

(Disclaimer - in most circumstances your child in more important, obviously)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now