To think if you're taking a baby of under 18 months out for a meal

(108 Posts)
Souredstones Sun 23-Jun-13 19:24:16

It's ok to take some small toys for them but under no circumstances is it ok to take the annoying noisy battery operated ones especially if you're going to set them off and the child proceeds to ignore them.

MiaowTheCat Mon 24-Jun-13 14:19:55

YANBU - I've temporarily stored all the fucking annoying beeping, buzzing, shapes are in my cookie jar instruments of parental torture in this house to give my own sanity a break for a couple of weeks (and it's made a marked difference to DD1's playing to be honest - instead of just mashing a button to play a brainfrying song repeatedly)... there's no way I'd inflict them on an innocent public - I take things out to amuse DD1 - but never the noisy stuff.

On the other hand - I take ALL the electronic shit to visit grandparents. If they bought all the most annoying specimens of them - they deserve to share in the joy!

Flobbadobs Mon 24-Jun-13 14:20:20

I did this once, was mortified after about 2 minutes of the sodding vtech bear and how loud it suddenly went!
Now if taking a toddler out I just order noodles (for her) and a dustpan and brush (for afterwards) Easier and quieter grin

KellyElly Mon 24-Jun-13 15:59:16

I would rather hear a noisy toy than have a restless toddler tearing round a restaurant. If the volume is turned down low enough it should not really be making any more noise than the loud conversations etc already going on.

Yabu, i'd prefer a noisy toy to a screaming child, they were doing the right thing by keeping their toddler entertained for themselves & others.

quesadilla Mon 24-Jun-13 16:42:07

I'd say depends on the place. Posh, quiet setting its really not on but in a rowdy pub for Sunday lunch or a child friendly place where there is a reasonable expectation of kids running amok being there it wouldn't bother me.

anklebitersmum Mon 24-Jun-13 16:45:11

A noisy toy is noisy by definition, avoidable and therefore rude by default.

Yes, ven the most perfectly well behaved child is quite capable of 'having the strop of the century' or "TALKING LIKE THIS" when it's least appropriate. But a noisy toy is noisy regardless.
-- until you remove the batteries and shove em up the parent's harris--

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 24-Jun-13 16:49:32

Yanbu.

BrianTheMole Mon 24-Jun-13 16:54:23

YANBU op. Noisy toys are bloody annoying. I'd far rather hear loud parenting than be forced to listen to a crappy noisy toy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now