Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think it is very odd indeed to have chips or garlic bread with pizza?

(231 Posts)
Mintyy Sun 23-Jun-13 18:50:25

or even garlic bread with a pasta dish?

Have people not heard of carb overload confused.

EstelleGetty Tue 25-Jun-13 19:31:45

YABU, OP. When I handed in my dissertation at uni, I was straight down to the Blue Lagoon for a deep fried pizza with chips all stuck in the sauce and cheese, whole thing drenched in vinegar. And I sat in to eat, as it was a special day. grin

Shutupanddrive Tue 25-Jun-13 19:24:07

YABU, as long as its not all the time it's fine

This thread is making me crave a Gardy's chip butty - thin fries in a toasted pitta, liberally doused with the sauce(s) of one's choice. Eat contents with a chip fork, then eat the slightly saucy now-cold pitta.

Ultimate hangover prevention. Student manna.

<feels old>

The trend is spreading. I had homity pie served with new potatoes last week. That's TRIPLE carbing (potato and cheese in a pastry case with new potatoes)

The culprit? The Nationsl Trust!

nellyjelly Tue 25-Jun-13 18:36:32

At school we used to buy big stotties (big bread cake things). Hollow them out and fill with crisps. Yum.

Owllady Tue 25-Jun-13 18:35:08

it's the chips with cottage pie that i don't understand as well but I once went to a restaurant in rochester where they were serving jacket potato with chips!

I have to have garlic bread with pizza though

Ifancyashandy Tue 25-Jun-13 18:32:26

I like the meat! With cheese and coleslaw. Makes me happy!

DS1 had chips with his shepherd's pie at school today hmm and I remember my school days when you might get very deep pan pizza with chips, served with spaghetti hoops as the "vegetable" option.

I might do a carb with my lasagne as it is itself low-carb, but personally I like an Everest of crunchy salad with baked pasta to balance the textures.

On the other hand, my plate at an Indian buffet is carb city - some rice, some naan, some poppadom, some Bombay aloo ... and curry and salad.

Chandon Tue 25-Jun-13 18:00:07

Lol Ifancyashandy, if you order a burger and leave the bun and chips....
...you just eat the patty! Better order something different, non?

TheOneAndOnlyAllan Tue 25-Jun-13 16:09:34

I think a crisp sandwich would actually kill her goes off to put hula hoops inside my marmite one

TheOneAndOnlyAllan Tue 25-Jun-13 16:08:49

I have a Thai friend who laughs herself sick at the idea of a sandwich and a packet of crisps. She thinks all Brits are insane as they don't go together in a kind of blinding obvious way.

Ifancyashandy Tue 25-Jun-13 15:59:58

I'd leave the bun and most of the chips/wedges if I ordered a burger. Chips came with a chicken salad I had last week - I had maybe 5 (they were fat ones) and left the rest. I go for the salad / coleslaw combo.

ToysRLuv Tue 25-Jun-13 14:26:01

Sorry, well, not veggie - pescaterian. I'm used to saying veggie, because the distinction is too hard for a lot of people to grasp. Apologies to the real veggies!

ToysRLuv Tue 25-Jun-13 14:22:34

I don't eat burgers very often (maybe three times a year) and those occasions I tend to have a meal with chips (well, french fries), as it is cheaper than buying two fish burgers (one of those is not enough for a grown woman IMO, and can't eat much else, because am veggie). Wouldn't choose it if it wasn't part of the deal. Similarly, I will eat any chips that come with pub food, but not because I particularly want to, but because I'm hungry and they're there. Also I paid for them, so I want them. Wouldn't order them especially. If they did salads instead, that'd be nicer, but most of them won't entertain the idea, as chips are cheaper.

livinginwonderland Tue 25-Jun-13 14:07:42

Do people who say they don't double carb never have burgers and chips? I don't know any restaurant that sells burgers without chips/fries/wedges on the side.

Also, garlic bread is just pizza with different toppings, basically, so having a small pizza and a small garlic bread is the same as having a large pizza, so I don't see the travesty.

2rebecca Tue 25-Jun-13 13:35:08

I like garlic bread with pizza, and pasta.
If I'm at the pub I'll sometimes have macaroni cheese with chips as well.
My overall diet is balanced but the individual meals are often skewed. I'm not overweight.
How much you eat (and drink) is as important as what you eat.

Helltotheno Tue 25-Jun-13 11:38:35

Double carbing not appealing to me because too many carbs make me constipated I just don't really have a taste for carbs but those combos are extremely popular in the carb-loving western world so should be surprising to no one.

Chocolate's my bugbear unfortunately sad

ToysRLuv Tue 25-Jun-13 11:38:27

<shakes head in disbelief>

mrsjay Tue 25-Jun-13 11:37:20

MY dh wants chips with cottage pie I cant see why I do make them but i dodnt eat them he wouldnt eat mashed potatoes and chips together so why is it different on a cottage pie confused

You know what else is weird? Shepherds/cottage pie WITH CHIPS.

ToysRLuv Tue 25-Jun-13 11:29:55

And, I don't like garlic bread either, but, again, it's a cheap filling thing that most people like. I'd rather eat more of the main meal.

ToysRLuv Tue 25-Jun-13 11:26:20

I think for a lot of us foreigners it's mainly the insistence of serving/eating chips and crisps with just about everything (even if it's already carby, like a pizza, pie, baked potato or whatever) that seems weird. But on the other hand, I know chippies and pubs will do this to save on the more expensive ingredients, while providing a satisfying and filling meal to the customer, so it's sensible from their point of view. There is a reason why the saying goes "cheap as chips". I don't mind them, but can take them or leave them quite happily. No moral judgement there, as I do love my pizza and pasta, etc.

battyralphie Tue 25-Jun-13 11:14:39

I dont think Pizza and garlic bread go too well together, but am not really a big fan of garlic bread, it always seems quite dry. I dont think though that double carbs are that unusual. One of our favourite recipes given to me by my French friend is a potato and comte cheese quiche (is lovely with any sort of smelly cheese). And I think someone mentioned Linguine alla Ligure, pasta with asparagus, pesto and new potatoes. I dont remember ever seeing garlic bread in Italy though....

Mintyy Tue 25-Jun-13 10:58:05

I mean it is a strange combination when you look at it logically. Pizza is largely carbohydrate, why would you serve up another carb with it? I can almost see the appeal of having a piece of garlic bread with, but chips is just plain wrong confused.

I am not making a moral judgement or being the carb police or anything else like that.

I suppose I am quite a foodie and I like my meals to make sense!

HelgaHufflepuff Tue 25-Jun-13 08:17:47

How is pizza and chips a strange combination that some posters have never heard of?! confused
It's a perfectly normal meal round these parts - pizza and chips GO together!
Obviously, same as with everything, they should only be eaten in moderation. We have it once a week.
Garlic bread with pizza I don't get though, as it's basically the same thing just with a different topping!
Garlic bread goes with spaghetti bolognese/pasta dishes

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now