Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To not buy a product due to erroneous apostrophes?

(203 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 23-Jun-13 18:10:57

It is an otherwise appropriate product and to be fair, there is only one misuse of apostrophe. I can even see why they have placed it; if in doubt add an apostrophe, right? Wrong.

But, it makes me think they have not had their website proofread, which then leads me think they are not such a professional business. This in turn concerns me should there be a problem with the product in terms of customer service and aftercare. And, if I am completely honest, it makes me feel a little bit irrationally grumpy.

Am I Being Unreasonable? DH thinks I am being so.

tupuedes Sun 23-Jun-13 19:54:28

Initialism is the correct term for DVD.

I'll retract what I said about DVD's being correct, having reviewed the source it seems to suggest that is wrong, but apostrophes can be used to clarify the structure of unusual words.

EleanorFarjeon Sun 23-Jun-13 19:56:04

YANBU

Geordieminx Sun 23-Jun-13 19:56:12

I complained to Head of HR this week as our company job board always has "Edinburgh and Lothian's" as a location.

It makes my teeth hurt.

mirai Sun 23-Jun-13 19:58:41

DVD's is NOT correct.

angry

snooter Sun 23-Jun-13 19:59:43

I avoid a local greengrocer because it sells potatoe's and strawberrie's - worse IMO than potato's and strawberry's which are at least correct in some circumstances. The other greengrocer can spell.

Seen in Sainsburies in Selby.
brilliant

Marrow Sun 23-Jun-13 20:00:54

YANBU. I frequently boycott companies and products that can't be bothered to check their grammar.

kim147 Sun 23-Jun-13 20:01:59

FFS I always do that.

I just want to change "Y" to "ie". I can't help it. It's the primary teacher in me.

Sainsburys.

snooter Sun 23-Jun-13 20:02:33

Sainsburies - yes, funny - might have been in all of the Sainburies though rather than the one Sainsbury grin

lol kim it's compulsory to provide an amusing grammar error in a thread about bad grammar.

kim147 Sun 23-Jun-13 20:06:47

I always spell that wrong. Not that I spell it often but when I do, I spell it wrong.

DarceyBissell Sun 23-Jun-13 20:08:09

Kim. Do you mean Sainsburys?

TheRealFellatio Sun 23-Jun-13 20:08:25

YANBU. We must have standards goddammit, or the world will fall apart.

Does anyone remember those crispy snack things being called Crinkly's when they first came outt? They were made my McVities I think, who really should have known better. After a while I think they dropped the apostrophe (presumably to appease a rabid bunch of pedants who thought the sky was falling in) but they still called them Crinklys which is barely any better.

If I ran McVities I would make sure heads rolled and someone went without a reference and a pension over a mistake like that. I can't believe it got that far and no-one noticed. Not ad-men, not graphic designers, not copywriters, not printers....shock Shocking.

Nanny0gg England Sun 23-Jun-13 20:11:58

Um. Surely Sainsbury's is correct as it refers to Sainsbury's Supermarket.
Otherwise it is Sainsbury.

And well said KittensoftPuppydog

Anyone arguing, do we say MP's? No. So we don't say DVD's.

Tesco, however isn't sure, as their big aisle banner says DVDs and the small one on the section says DVD's...
sad

tupuedes Sun 23-Jun-13 20:12:35

Maybe they were invented by Mr Crinkly from the R&D department?

AmIthatSpringy Italy Sun 23-Jun-13 20:15:42

YANBU

oh and angry at DVD's.

Of course it's DVDs, with the small "s"

kim147 Sun 23-Jun-13 20:15:44

According to website, it's Sainsbury's.

I don't shop there any more.
I go to Morrisons. Or is it Morrison's?

DarceyBissell Sun 23-Jun-13 20:15:55

I used to teach literacy to adults and it always depressed me that so many people not only didn't know how to use punctuation correctly, they didn't see it as important.
Usually got a laugh when I wrote 'Dicks in tray' on the board though.
(As opposed to Dick's in-tray, obv).

kim147 Sun 23-Jun-13 20:17:05

So Sainsbury started Sainsbury's.
And WM Morrison started Morrisons.

<But no one started Sainsburies>

Don't get me started on Tesco's and Asda's.

tupuedes Sun 23-Jun-13 20:20:19

It's always quite interesting that people get so anal over grammar but then have a good laugh about how they "can't do maths". When maths is in fact a vastly more important skill.

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 23-Jun-13 20:20:30

There's a Beauty Parlour/Hairdresser near here called "Your Beautiful".

Your beautiful what??

Your beautiful waxed twat?
Your beautiful eyebrows?
Your beautiful fringe?

How did this get past a Sign Maker - that depresses me - someone whose job is words

JamieandtheMagicTorch Sun 23-Jun-13 20:21:10

OP

YANBU

That would not fill me with confidence

SueDoku Sun 23-Jun-13 20:21:23

Sadly, Sainsburys have now officially dropped the apostrophe from their name thus losing my custom for ever , so Sainsburys is now correct (DVD's on the other hand, most definitely is not...!) hmm

DarceyBissell Sun 23-Jun-13 20:22:06

Tesco and Asda brands don't add possessive s , though. I think Debenhams doesn't have one either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now