To not buy a product due to erroneous apostrophes?

(203 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Sun 23-Jun-13 18:10:57

It is an otherwise appropriate product and to be fair, there is only one misuse of apostrophe. I can even see why they have placed it; if in doubt add an apostrophe, right? Wrong.

But, it makes me think they have not had their website proofread, which then leads me think they are not such a professional business. This in turn concerns me should there be a problem with the product in terms of customer service and aftercare. And, if I am completely honest, it makes me feel a little bit irrationally grumpy.

Am I Being Unreasonable? DH thinks I am being so.

Nanny0gg Sun 23-Jun-13 18:11:56

YANBU

PavlovtheCat Sun 23-Jun-13 18:12:08

I can see several issues with my own grammar, but a) this is not my business b) this is not 'pedants' corner' and so I don't need to be perfect myself wink

You are being positively reasonable. Phoning them up and telling them why you are not using their company would also be reasonable. A petrol bomb would probably be slightly unreasonable.

YA definitely definitely NBU!!

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 23-Jun-13 18:49:13

Yanbu at all. I once marched up to John Lewis customer services to complain about a 'DVD'S' sign. They looked at me like I was barking, but who cares. This is John Lewis we're talking about. It's an outrage.

primallass Sun 23-Jun-13 18:50:34

YABU not posting a link.

superlambanana Sun 23-Jun-13 18:51:00

Yanbu.

Kitten, I alway get annoyed about that too. However, my mum aka grammar pedantry personified grin says that this is correct.

Can anyone clear this one up?

superlambanana Sun 23-Jun-13 18:51:31

To clarify - apparently it's correct to use an apostrophe after an abbreviation.

I also think YANBU; I wouldn't buy from them either.

I was recently annoyed to see 'this will effect your wireless connection' on the EE website.

YANBU, I was never allowed anything from toys r us because of the terrible spelling and grammar.

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 23-Jun-13 18:55:40

It is not correct. I was an editor for 20 years. If you are using an apostrophe after an abbreviation, logically you would have D'V'D's as all of the words are abbreviated. Why not have an apostrophe after DVD in that case. Rubbish. Very cross now.

treaclesoda Sun 23-Jun-13 19:00:33

YANBU

Your reaction seem's reasonable to me. See what I did there? wink

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 23-Jun-13 19:02:49

Come on - you might as well tell us what it is, you know you'll have to eventually grin

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 23-Jun-13 19:03:17

The only reason to use an apostrophe after DVD would be if you were using the possessive, i.e. if you were talking about something that belonged to the DVD, eg, the DVD's jacket.

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 23-Jun-13 19:06:41

I'm so wound up I had to have a cigarrette.

lashingsofbingeinghere Sun 23-Jun-13 19:18:03

YANBU

We must stamp out apostrophe abuse wherever we find it.

Scholes34 Sun 23-Jun-13 19:21:42

One of my favourite sentences is "It's on its way".

LittleMissGerardButlerfan Sun 23-Jun-13 19:25:24

Inappropriate apostrophe use makes me angry

If they are slack on things like that, imagine what else they let slide?

I am also intrigued what the product is

tupuedes Sun 23-Jun-13 19:38:26

DVD's is ok on the basis that apostrophes can be used to clarify the meaning of the S, is in this case it shows the s is not part of the initialism.

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 23-Jun-13 19:44:46

No, it can't. Wrong wrong wrong. If you want to clarify, put DVDs.
Where does it say this? In the crappy guide to crappy English?

primallass Sun 23-Jun-13 19:44:51

KittensoftPuppydog It is not correct. I was an editor for 20 years. If you are using an apostrophe after an abbreviation, logically you would have D'V'D's as all of the words are abbreviated.

^^ This. I am an editor now grin

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 23-Jun-13 19:45:32

And I think you mean acronym.

KittensoftPuppydog Sun 23-Jun-13 19:47:20

Xpost.

kim147 Sun 23-Jun-13 19:49:53

Seen in Sainsburies in Selby.

Police Officer's patrol this store. (An official North Yorkshire police sign)

It annoyed me - especially as I'd just done a lesson on possessive apostrophes with year 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now