to not want broadband?!

(24 Posts)
settingupforafuture Sun 23-Jun-13 15:43:44

Dp and I are moving in together for the first time. Not only do we not have huge amounts of money but we've only signed up for a six month contract! So I suggested mobile internet but apparently he only wants broadband that costs a fortune to have and have excessive connection fees not forgetting you're in a 12 month contract with broadband! Many sleepless nights over this one! sad

eurozammo Sun 23-Jun-13 15:46:24

Personally, I couldn't live without it now. You can usually take the contract with you when you move - I moved to my current house mod-contract with BT.

LillyofWinchester Sun 23-Jun-13 15:50:33

How fast would your mobile Internet be? Can you get a dongle? I would rather go for broadband & take it with me when I moved so I can see your dp's point.

eurozammo Sun 23-Jun-13 15:51:57

*mid-contract

settingupforafuture Sun 23-Jun-13 15:54:23

Sorry for the drip feed me and dp are moving away from parents for first time so in 6 months we may not have anywhere to take it to! I'm only so frustrated because I think mobile broadband or a dongle would be more realistic compared to a landline!

BrianButterfield Sun 23-Jun-13 15:57:55

Broadband's not just for browsing now though; we use ours all the time for Netflix/iPlayer/Xbox online etc etc.

mrsjay Sun 23-Jun-13 15:59:57

if you are not moving anywhere permanently then a dongle would do but it can work out expensive and you can get really cheap broadband deals I would go for B B personally

MonParapluie Sun 23-Jun-13 16:02:56

I do not recommend a dongle, after we moved house there was no signal and it took me six months on the phone to call centres in India to get three to cancel it mid contract, without us having to pay £200 early termination fee!

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 16:05:28

You can get 6 month contracts on broadband. That's what I would do.

However it's slightly concerning that you're so upset about this and yet don't seem to be able to discuss it!

Mobile broadband is a bit shite (I'm forced to use it currently) and I wouldn't choose it. But you should be able to sit down, make a budget and work out what you can afford rather than him going "This is non negotiable" and you worrying yourself into lack of sleep because of it.

magpieC Sun 23-Jun-13 16:07:43

When you say mobile internet do you mean tethering via your phones? I guess the costs of this would depend on your contracts and how much data you are using already. I'd be bit surprised if it were cheaper on the mobile networks than standard broadband but of you're only light usera then might be that you could get a more appropriate deal.

I would think you need to look at your (future) usage to be able to compare prices effectively. Do either of you do online gaming for example? Do you use iplayer (and if you use it at the moment via Virgin/Sky will you continue to have a TV package that enables it or will that be added usage)? Do you use YouTube frequently?

The other thing to consider would be mobile coverage where you're moving to. IMHO there's nothing worse than unreliable internet so I think YABU.

GetStuffezd Sun 23-Jun-13 16:10:02

I hated having a dongle, it was so frustrating. Honestly though, broadband is so cheap compared to what it was. Mine is £20/month and that includes the line rental. Ok it's a 12 month contract but you can then transfer it to whoever you go next. Why is it so big an issue for you, if you don't mind me asking? Have you talked to him about it?

StuntGirl Sun 23-Jun-13 16:14:44

Why are you only planning for 6 months? I understand your rental contract is for 6 months, but you will presumably be either extending the contract or moving elsewhere after. In either scenario you'd continue with your broadband contract.

livinginwonderland Sun 23-Jun-13 16:42:34

Getting a Dongle is so not worth it. I have one and the signal can be dodgy even in built up areas, it's slow and our 5GB/month doesn't last long, and that's without using Netflix/iPlayer/Spotify or downloading anything.

It's basic internet browsing only. You won't be able to watch anything online or listen to the radio or look at pictures on Facebook without eating up your internet allowance within days. Go for broadband. Yes, it's more expensive (especially to start) but it's so worth it for what you get and you don't have to worry about it running out.

Robotindisguise Sun 23-Jun-13 16:47:41

Look - part of living together is accommodating both people's needs. Sure - it might not be what you'd do if you were single but it's what most people do! Broadband's pretty much considered a basic utility these days -YABU

Mia4 Sun 23-Jun-13 16:55:21

Broadband doesn't have to be that expensive, go to moneysavingexpert.com and have a look at all the different deals.

DoJo Sun 23-Jun-13 17:47:12

YABU - it's certainly not worth actually arguing over, let alone sleepless nights and I can understand why he wants 'proper' internet over unreliable and expensive alternatives.

StuntGirl Sun 23-Jun-13 17:55:07

What is it you're concerned about? Have you ever had a contract for something before? Are you worried about it being in one name over the other? Tring to think if theres some other reason you'd be so averse to such a normal thing.

LondonMan Sun 23-Jun-13 18:04:52

Even if you pay for a year and only use half of it, I doubt you're throwing away more than £60. If your finances are that tight then you have bigger problems than paying for broadband.

Mind you I'm not sure I understand your situation - what connection fees? I've never heard of these in relation to broadband. It sounds like you might be talking about the cost of a landline, rather than just broadband by itself.

I have used mobile broadband at relatives and it is horrible, no substitute for the real thing.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 23-Jun-13 18:05:13

It seems an odd thing to be having sleepless nights over... what are you really worried about?

LondonMan Sun 23-Jun-13 18:07:14

Obviously you need a landline for broadband, but your OP just refers to the cost of broadband, which is the cost you'd pay on top of whatever a landline costs.

McNewPants2013 Sun 23-Jun-13 18:08:45

With virgin you don't need a phone line. I couldn't live without my broadband

Leviticus Sun 23-Jun-13 18:09:54

If he wants it he signs a contract for it in his name - his problem in 6 months time.

It's really not a biggie.

Tee2072 Sun 23-Jun-13 18:10:37

I would bet broadband is cheaper than a dongle.

If you can't agree about this, are you really ready to move in together?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now