"I've only read the first few posts..."

(113 Posts)
Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 14:41:54

"...and none of the last 15 pages so I'm about to say something completely irrelevant and unhelpful or repeat something that's already been said twenty times".

AIBU to find this a incredibly annoying?

Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 16:01:43

Feegle, I was asking in response to your second sentence. Why do you feel it is unreasonable of me to expect people to read what others have said before making their own point (for all of the reasons in my first post).

FeegleFion Sun 23-Jun-13 16:16:04

I don't, not at all. I was being funny silly because my iPhone doesn't highlight.

Like I say, if it's a serious post, it's only right to read the thread and I do. Sometimes I'll skim the op, and then flip the thread to see what the OP is saying and then respond but I will always go back and read the thread. There really is no point getting involved if I don't.

I actually don't think you are BU in the slightest. I've started threads or have posted in threads in which it's very obvious when posters haven't bothered to read any of the conversation and I've had to reiterate the same point I made again and again and it's not only rude on the posters behalf, it's bloody boring having to repeat yourself.

everlong Sun 23-Jun-13 16:22:27

Yabu.

I've only read your OP as that is what's relevant.

same here with highlighting. you dont get it on the app so not an option for all

or i cant find it blush

scarfaceace Sun 23-Jun-13 16:42:06

I think it would be a good idea for there to be an option to 'agree' or 'disagree' on what someone has said - that way you can agree or disagree but don't actually have to write it all over again if it's already been said. I mean, if 20 or 30 people are going to repeat what others say, then it would save having to wade through an awful lot of unnecessary comments if they just agreed or disagreed. Sorry if I haven't explained myself properly. Also, the 'agree' and 'disagree' could have numbers to show how many have people actually clicked the button. Just a thought.

FeegleFion Sun 23-Jun-13 17:24:31

scar I totally agree!

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 17:30:43

scarface - thats what the Daily Mail does with its green and red arrow buttons.

Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 17:39:50

How does using the app stop you from reading posts other than the OP? I post from my phone sometimes, but not via an app.

TinaSurrey Sun 23-Jun-13 17:42:57

Result! Thanks to this thread I discovered that I can highlight posts & how to do it.

Most useful - thanks to those that explained how. It works perfectly and I am on my iPhone.

(I don't use the app though as the adverts at top/foot of page annoy me so just go on via favourites in Safari. You get it fitted to phone screen layout without losing part of the page to ads. What is advantage of the app - I could only see downsides?)

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Sun 23-Jun-13 17:50:38

Oh yes. It is really annoying. And invariably makes the person look daft. You don't have to read each and every post on a long thread but as others have said, reading the OPs posts is vital.

Otherwise you miss important things and make yourself look like a tit.

But I wouldn't like an agree/disagree button, that's very facebook like and I prefer proper discussion on here. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want 40 likes and 65 dislikes and little in the way of actual debate.

I think everyone has something to contribute and clicking a button instead of participating would mean the site would lose something valuable. Plus, what would a counter showing X agrees and Y disagrees actually add to a debate?

I think an Agree/Disagree button would just produce a thread with no actual discussion.

If things change on the thread it isn't always about drip-feeding. On AIBU the poster might change their mind, in an advice thread something new might have happened/something has changed.

It happens on really short 2/3 page threads sometimes, which is just rude!

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 17:57:19

Sparklingbrook I think an Agree/Disagree button would just produce a thread with no actual discussion. Just like the DM then grin

nenevomito Sun 23-Jun-13 17:57:19

Bugger that for a lark. Like I'm going to sit and read through pages of other people's brain dumping before sharing my nugget of wisdom with the world.

Sometimes if the first few posts are interesting I'll RTFT and usually I remember to read the last few posts before mine, but the stuff in between is just noise.

nenevomito Sun 23-Jun-13 17:58:07

I'll go as far as reading all of the OPs posts if its a long one.

I've only read the first few posts but I'd say YANBU. wink

That is very true MA. shock

FeegleFion Sun 23-Jun-13 18:08:33

I totally disagree that an agree/ disagree option would kill a discussion.

Lets be honest here, Vipers, we're all far too opinionated to not participate in something that piqued our interest.

I think the like/ dislike thing is definitely worth a shot.

There are often times when a previous poster has said something that I'd really like to applaud. And then there are other posts that would benefit from a massive thumbs down.

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 18:08:44

but the stuff in between is just noise. I think it wouldnt be noise if threads were allowed to develop properly, by say, everyone posting having read what went before and therefore not repeating stuff. Then it would be a discussion which develops and changes as it goes along. If you dont want to join in the discussion at the point where it currently is, then you should post on a thread that has just started and accept that you have missed the boat. Its no longer about responding to the original post, its where the discussion has developed to which is relevant.

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 18:11:35

It already exists feegle you can comment AND do thumbs up and thumbs down. Its over here: www.dailymail.co.uk/home/index.html

nenevomito Sun 23-Jun-13 18:13:21

<snort>

Threads on AIBU don't ever develop properly. I'm certainly not going to read 8 pages are YABU / YANBU
Oh no she isn't!
Oh yes she is!
Oh no she isn't!
Oh yes she is!

Tis noise, and panto noise at that.

nenevomito Sun 23-Jun-13 18:13:53

Oh MummyAbroad. I'll definitely treat anything you write as Noise now after linking to the DM.

usualsuspect Sun 23-Jun-13 18:16:09

Nooooooo to agree and disagree shite.

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 18:17:48

Yes, AIBU is an exception. It is a YES/NO question after all.

But as for the rest of the site, I'd much rather read peoples comments which might make me think about something more, than just read an opinion poll of stats telling me how many other people agree or disagree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now