"I've only read the first few posts..."

(113 Posts)
Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 14:41:54

"...and none of the last 15 pages so I'm about to say something completely irrelevant and unhelpful or repeat something that's already been said twenty times".

AIBU to find this a incredibly annoying?

Thanks Parsley I though it was in My Mumsnet.

And you can bookmark!

ParsleyTheLioness Sun 23-Jun-13 15:15:22

You're welcom grin

If the thread is long, j read the first page, the last two pages and then post. If it's about specifically asking for help or info surrounding their circumstances though, I read the full thread as otherwise it's all too easy to skip over information,

mrsjay Sun 23-Jun-13 15:15:40

I am not guilty of this I always read ALL the replies and pages before i post (cough) blush I am terrible for it and I realise it is annoying

Mintyy Sun 23-Jun-13 15:16:08

Yanbu.

fabergeegg Sun 23-Jun-13 15:19:29

Only read the first few posts but just popped on.

AIBU is a question, not a chat. It thrives on a medley of first responses and doesn't belong to the select few who have lost all perspective because they've been labouring a point for half an hour.

A new post is like a breath of fresh air smile

MammaTJ Sun 23-Jun-13 15:21:06

FeegleFion my iphone hightlights the OP the same as my lap top does.

OP, YANBU!!

Seriously though, I'm on my iPhone and it doesn't highlight the OP like the laptop does. So in those cases, YABU

I'm on my iPhone right now and the OP's posts are highlighted! So you're still NBU grin

If I see a thread that looks interesting but it has more than 3 pages already I tend to think everything has been said anyway.

HollyBerryBush Sun 23-Jun-13 15:22:36

I highlight mine and the OPs posts. I may choose to ignore reading everyone else inbetween, I read the OPs posts to see if she had been convinced one way or another or given out any more pertinent information.

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Sun 23-Jun-13 15:23:40

Ooh I didn't know about the highlighting! I've changed mine now and its BEAUTIFUL.

bruffin Sun 23-Jun-13 15:24:42

If you cant highlight just put ops name on find on page and you can work your way through them that way.

Yes, I think sometimes if you read the Ops post you can get enough of the thread to establish whether to post Holly. If it's not pages long.

MummyAbroad Sun 23-Jun-13 15:28:52

YANBU Its really annoying when people do this, it makes threads all disjointed and circular as people jump in to make a point that has already been discussed at at length, and kill the discussion. Not a breath of fresh air at all, just annoying.

Floggingmolly Sun 23-Jun-13 15:29:34

But isn't being told to read the thread working on the assumption that there'll have been drip feeding by the op? You should be able to respond to the original post without reference to other people's views on the subject...
Btw, excuse me if I'm missing something vital, I've only read the op smile

schilke Sun 23-Jun-13 15:29:43

Yabu.
I sometimes read the first few pages, op's posts and then skip to the end. I tend not to post on a thread that is 14 pages long though tbh - no way I'm going to read all through that. Quite often they go way off the original topic and then a couple of pages of bickering in the middle!

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 23-Jun-13 15:31:54

I sometimes don't read the whole thread. I do however read the first and last two pages before adding a comment of my own. Threads here can change a lot so IMO it is stupid and insensitive to simply read the first page and then go blundering in.

YANBU OP.

usualsuspect Sun 23-Jun-13 15:32:03

Sometimes I just reply to the OP, sometimes I skim read the thread.

Depends how long the thread is.

Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 15:34:07

Why do you think I'm being unreasonable schilke ?

Everyone's responses have made me realise that I don't always feel like my first post described. I was thinking mainly of the advice/help threads rather than the general fact-finding discussions asking for others' experiences and opinions.

Dackyduddles Sun 23-Jun-13 15:35:51

If post is enough to fuel emotion I might read some answers to find gist of where conversation has evolved to.
Then again, like this one, I really might not care and just answer direct.

All perfectly valid options. No one owns a thread, even op.

Yabu!

I don't mind when people post on a thread then say 'I am going to read the whole thread now'. At least they admit they haven't but they are about to.

It's true nobody 'owns' a thread but it is courtesy to read it if you are going to post.

Ooh, I always read all the OPs posts, and I wouldn't try giving advice without reading, or at least skimming ,the whole thing. I've just done a search to check when I've done this, and I'm fairly certain it's only to add personal experience. I do also go back and skim through the bits I've missed afterwards. Is that more acceptable?

Oh, and I do say I haven't read it all yet. grin

FeegleFion Sun 23-Jun-13 15:54:37

Vicacia the first part of my post was tongue in cheek I think I'm funny, at least

If it's a serious post, I take the time. If I have a contribution to make, I want to make it relevant and a thread often moves at a fast pace, so it's NU to read it and post based on the entire conversation IYSWIM?

As for highlighting on my phone... Umm those of you who are clued up and have it thus, would you pleeeease share your wisdom. I want to do that! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now