"I've only read the first few posts..."

(113 Posts)
Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 14:41:54

"...and none of the last 15 pages so I'm about to say something completely irrelevant and unhelpful or repeat something that's already been said twenty times".

AIBU to find this a incredibly annoying?

ImperialBlether Sun 23-Jun-13 14:43:46

Yes, it's really rude and very annoying.

What also bugs me is when people say, "I came on here to tell you you were being unreasonable..." - how can they say that when they haven't read the opening post?

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 14:44:08

YANBU. RTFT every time. angry

I've done this before, sorry. Does it still count if I only do it to reply to a point that someone else (not the OP) makes? blush

bruffin Sun 23-Jun-13 14:45:17

I can understand not wanting to wade through thundreds of posts but at least read all of ops posts, which are higjlighted so easy to find.

Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 14:45:35

Thank god for that. As a newbie I've been biting my tongue for a couple of weeks.

tethersend Sun 23-Jun-13 14:46:58

I've only read the first few posts, but I can understand not wanting to wade through thundreds of posts but at least read all of ops posts, which are higjlighted so easy to find.

Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 14:47:00

I guess sometimes it does MrsMango, and sometimes it doesn't. That's the danger.

So often it's done in a kind of "what I've got to say is more important than anything you've said so I'm not going to bother reading" way.

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 14:49:59

Yes Vivacia really it's 'I CBA to read any of the thread but here is my very important opinion anyway'.

YoniBottsBumgina Sun 23-Jun-13 14:50:45

YY I don't always read every post in a thread when it's over 100 posts already.

I skim read the important parts - first few posts, all of OP's posts (I have them highlighted also) and then the last 20 or so so I can follow where the discussion has actually gone.

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Sun 23-Jun-13 14:55:40

YANBU. It just highlights who are the people that value their own opinion above everybody else's. They can't be bothered to read other people's comments because they are that desperate to impart their "wisdom" on the world.

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 14:56:43

If you don't read the whole thread there's a good possibility you will post something somebody else has already said.

monicalewinski Sun 23-Jun-13 14:57:50

Sorry to go on a tangent, but the OP's posts aren't highlighted for me - should I be doing something to make that happen?

YANBU it does my head in.

Don't want to read? Fine. Commenting anyway? Not fine.

It's very simple, really.

FeegleFion Sun 23-Jun-13 14:59:24

Sorry, I haven't read the full thread but I was coming here to tell you YABU. confused

Seriously though, I'm on my iPhone and it doesn't highlight the OP like the laptop does. So in those cases, YABU.

HTH

DeepPurple Sun 23-Jun-13 15:00:03

I don't know if anyone else said this cos I CBA to read it but YANBU. grin

AmyFarrahFowlerCooper Sun 23-Jun-13 15:02:22

I especially dislike the ones where the OP has accepted quite politely that they were being unreasonable and thanked everyone for their comments etc and then someone barges in at the end who hasn't RTFT and says something like OMG YAB so U YOU IMMATURE HORRID OP!

Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 15:04:03

Heh, I was asking for some of these replies!

Feegle, really? Don't you worry about saying something that could be quite damaging or hurtful for the OP to read? I'm thinking of cases when more information has come out, or the situation has changed?

IceNoSlice Sun 23-Jun-13 15:05:02

Drives me nuts. YANBU.

I just trawled through a full 30 pages (on chat) so I could comment sensibly and when I got to the end the thread had been suspended because it had reached the 1000 post limit! bah!

Vivacia Sun 23-Jun-13 15:05:49

Yes, that too Amy (15:02).

Also, thanks to the thread for introducing me to "RTFT" that sums it up quite nicely.

flippinada Sun 23-Jun-13 15:06:11

I think if it's a lighthearted thread, an opinion thread or a thread asking people to post their experiences about something then not reading the whole thing or just the last few posts is fine.

OTOH, wading in with a thoughtless post on thread started by an OP who is distressed/upset and asking for support displays a distinct lack of sensitivity.

In other words use your judgement smile.

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 15:06:31

monica yes you have to do it yourself but I can't find where now. Anyone help?

ParsleyTheLioness Sun 23-Jun-13 15:13:53

I think you can do it via customise, top left of page.

SelectAUserName Sun 23-Jun-13 15:14:44

Monica It's one of the options in 'Customise' at the top under the 'Mumsnet Talk' heading (assuming you're on a laptop/PC). You can also choose to highlight your own posts, have all posts in a thread display on one page automatically, reverse the order in which posts display (so newest first) and other stuff like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now