Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want him to stay home?

(56 Posts)
GiveMeVegemite Sun 23-Jun-13 11:24:38

My DH has a great job and gets to work from home 4 days a week, sometimes 5. This means that he can help out with our DS who is 12 months. I am currently 7 months pregnant with DS 2 and was looking forward to loads of help, especially since I have to have a c section. He would get 2 weeks paternity, plus 2 weeks time off.

BUT he has just been offered an even better job , money wise, (over 25k more than he is on now) which would mean we would be very comfortable. However, this is a contract for 12 months so no paternity (he would still take 2 weeks unpaid leave) and he would have to be in the office every day.

We are so up in the air about it. Am I being unreasonable to think the money isn't worth the family time at home? He already gets paid a lot so I don't think it is worth it?

Thurlow Sun 23-Jun-13 16:23:33

Where grin

FutTheShuckUp Sun 23-Jun-13 16:26:25

Comments about SAHM should just cope are plain nasty

It's tiring, stressful and very very lonely being a SAHM

Its also a choice isn't it, as far as im aware

Floggingmolly Sun 23-Jun-13 16:29:37

How much childcare can he realistically do when he's supposed to be working?

longjane Sun 23-Jun-13 16:30:25

take the new job and get paid help

ImperialBlether Sun 23-Jun-13 17:16:07

OK I'll be the first to say it: it's FAR more stressful and tiring being a WOHM.

Startail Sun 23-Jun-13 20:13:39

Of babies and older DCs I'm certain it is easier being a SAHM.

But DD1 from learning to crawl until 2 and 9 months when she went to preschool just didn't give you a second off.

She fiddled, she ran off, she climbed, she totally and utterly ignored toys, much preferring to find a pen and draw on the walls or any piece of paper.

No job was ever completed or adult conversation finished before you had to go and stop her doing what ever she was doing this time.

Having worked in a lab where you used to get time to THINK, she absolutely frazzled my brain.

DD2 knew what toys were for and played with them quietly for ten minutes at a time, it was bliss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now