To point out there is a "Watch this thread" button?

(32 Posts)
MardyBra Sun 23-Jun-13 11:10:58

So much simpler than clogging up a nearly full thread to mark your place.

backforgood the fact that it got to 1000 posts means it's worth doing again. Clearly parking threads strike a chord grin.
I use watch for threads I want to keep indefinitely. Boring education stuff mostly.

I don't think the fact that a thread topic has been done in the last few months/weeks/days/hours ever stopped anyone from starting a new one about the same thing Back. MN Talk would cease to exist if that was the case. grin

BackforGood Sun 23-Jun-13 12:55:05

AIBU to point out there is a search facility, and if you use it, this thread has been done over and over again in the last 2 or 3 months?

You'll find lots of valid reasons there for people using the site differently from you. wink

MardyBra Sun 23-Jun-13 12:49:12

I have started threads like that in the past sinister. grin

SinisterBuggyMonth Sun 23-Jun-13 12:25:10

This is almost, but not quite, as good as the "AIBU to think marking your place on.a thread is distasteful"

<marks place>

I hide loads. I have loads of topics hidden too.

Patchouli Sun 23-Jun-13 12:24:18

I use 'watch this thread' for other things: like recipes, tips, book lists, bra intervention figures etc that I want to keep a while. Not for threads where I might look for an update and have little to say.

And I quite like the ' . '
You get to see how many lurkers are there finding something funny/rooting for the OP

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Sun 23-Jun-13 12:23:32

I use the 'hide thread' button an awful lot more. I wish MNHQ would put little boxes at the side of the page so you could just select threads to hide en bloc.

I too hate the use of 'marking place', really crass in many instances.

YANBU...

Well Smudging it got to 1000 posts but there is a 2nd thread somewhere in case the Op comes back.

I watch quite a few threads for various reasons.

Smudging Sun 23-Jun-13 12:21:19

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

usualsuspect Sun 23-Jun-13 12:20:49

I put loads of threads on watch,because I cba to post on them.

I never do the marking my place thing.

It annoys me,makes the threads too long and my phone and kindle struggle to load long threads.

greenhill Sun 23-Jun-13 12:20:34

But if the thread goes poof you don't get to see MNHQ's deletion message. <disclaimer: am not on parking thread and have not marked place either>

MardyBra Sun 23-Jun-13 12:19:12

Thank you Trills. I wouldn't dare criticise other Mners, especially Tee. Oh no, not me...

But the TIO button is right next to the I'm Watching one. Stop being lazy arses. grin

Tee2072 Sun 23-Jun-13 12:17:10

You can with the mobile site, Love. Don't know about the app.

I don't like watching a thread, it's a lot easier to use TIO.

<marks place>

Loveleopardprint Sun 23-Jun-13 11:36:37

Can I do "watch this thread" on my phone?? Did not know about the function.

I've never used the bookmark function
What does it do that's different to watching the thread?

<goes off to randomly bookmark threads>

Trills Sun 23-Jun-13 11:32:54

Mardy wan't criticising, she was helpfully pointing out functionality that others may not have been aware of, of course smile

Trills Sun 23-Jun-13 11:32:23

Watch is crap, it's true. I never use it.

Once you've posted on a thread once it will stay in TIO and you can use bookmark.

Tee2072 Sun 23-Jun-13 11:23:48

Aibu to think it's rude to criticise how others use MN?

Watching it means checking yet another part of the site. Making place puts it on TIO.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Sun 23-Jun-13 11:23:02

<marking my place>

Trills Sun 23-Jun-13 11:21:49

YANBU to point it out.

Y might BU to expect anyone to do anything though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now