Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that most people would agree that driving on the phone is stupid

(95 Posts)
PseudoBadger Sat 22-Jun-13 22:48:07

Why then, do I see so very many people doing it on every journey I take? Does no one actually give a shit?

NonnyMuss Sun 23-Jun-13 12:53:22

All those other things are also illegal, they're classed as driving without due care and attention. If you get caught doing those you can still be prosecuted but not given a fixed penalty for them.

Driving using a mobile was made into a separate offence so the police can issue fixed penalties for it without having to prosecute every dickheaddriver they catch doing it (more costly and harder to enforce).

<not a lawyer, just paraphrasing my understanding of it, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong>

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 13:10:20

Domestic I would only consider a hands free kit as that is legal. don't see a difference in them tbh, not in the way you say they are both as dangerous but to me they are of no advantage only that they are legal.

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 13:11:23

its also an easy target to fill quotas for the police and issue points without doing their job.

TheDeadlyDonkey Sun 23-Jun-13 13:18:17

I keep seeing a local school bus driver using his mobile whilst driving a full bus.
I've reported him to the bus company, but they say that the driver would never do that hmm
Next time I'll ring 101 and report it that way!

littlewhitebag Sun 23-Jun-13 13:58:01

The penalty is £60 fine and 3 points on your license. I know because I got done for this earlier this year. I was going to pick up a child(work related) and was off the main road and stopped at traffic lights. I briefly called her gran to say to bring her down from her flat. Caught. I admitted to it there and then. I also had the embarrassment of being processed in the panda in front of clients. I will never, ever do it again. It was not my proudest moment.

RoooneyMara Sun 23-Jun-13 14:10:42

I rarely use my phone, but occasionally I have been called while driving and answered it to say, 'sorry I'm driving, I'll call you back' and then hung up.

Is this acceptable? Or should I wait till I can stop before picking it up at all?

Also what do you do when you are REALLY stuck in an absolutely still traffic jam, and you're going to be late to pick up the children from school - is it Ok to use it briefly while the car is stationary?

Meglet Sun 23-Jun-13 14:16:28

yanbu. I see parents doing it on the school run. That's those parents crossed off for future playdates angry.

They'd all get a lifetime ban if it was up to me, there is no excuse for doing it. I was driving back from the hospice when Dad was dying and my phone went, I was expecting the call to say he was dead, but there was no way I was going to touch my phone until I was home and parked.

I did shout at my neighbour when she drove off on her phone, she put it down and has never made eye contact with me since. Nor have I seen her on her phone again.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Jun-13 15:24:33

I live next to a school, a zebra crossing, a mini roundabout and pedestrian traffic lights. All places where no one should be on a phone. But without fail every time I leave my house and am minded to take notice, I see drivers on their phones.

cozietoesie Sun 23-Jun-13 16:15:15

Why do people not just simply turn their phones off when they get into a car ? Then they won't have any angst at all about answering or not answering them.

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 16:21:33

I hope everyone is reporting these crimes ... taking number plates and what not, instead of moaning about it.

"I rarely use my phone, but occasionally I have been called while driving and answered it to say, 'sorry I'm driving, I'll call you back' and then hung up.

Is this acceptable? Or should I wait till I can stop before picking it up at all?"

But what's the benefit in doing this, either to you or them? Just don't answer, and if it's important they can leave a message.

"Why do people not just simply turn their phones off when they get into a car ?"

I don't get all that many calls sad so don't generally think to switch it off. If it does go off I ignore it.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Jun-13 16:42:04

Fluckered I feel perhaps it doesn't bother you that much.

littlewhitebag Sun 23-Jun-13 16:47:53

notgoodnotbad You can't pick up at all. See my post up a bit. I was on the phone for literally 10 seconds and was stationary at red lights, in a smallish side street. Still caught. It is really, really not worth it. I will never do it again.

DomesticCEO Sun 23-Jun-13 16:54:47

fluckered, I don't get your point - why buy it just because it's legal?? If you still think it's dangerous don't bother! I just leave my phone in my bag in the car then it's not tempting to answer it. I do leave it near me only because I did once had a car accident and was grateful to have the phone right next to me to call the emergency services.

As for reporting these people, how am I supposed to report them if I'm in the car myself??? confused

cozietoesie Sun 23-Jun-13 17:10:04

That's true notgoodnotbad. I sometimes forget to switch it off - but I'm equally resistant to a phone ringing (mobile or landline) so I'll just ignore.

littlewhitebag Sun 23-Jun-13 17:31:14

sorry notgoodnotbad I see you were commenting on what someone else said not what you do. My mistake.

My mum does say though, "I didn't like to phone you in case you were driving." confused

Scholes34 Sun 23-Jun-13 18:01:42

I always amazed when I see a driver on a mobile phone . . . who has a passenger in the car with them. Why can't the passenger make/take the call?

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 18:25:21

Pseudobadger when I am driving I don't notice what other drivers are doing in their car but I have reported a van that has that number "How is my driving" once when he was veering left and right over the middle line. I presumed he was on the phone. I used my phone to dial in the number and the number plate. So like wise, I am saying that instead of moaning about it here I hope everyone is reporting all these acts of dangerous driving.

Melawen Sun 23-Jun-13 19:04:07

scholes34 people should never use the phone in the car, but.....if I was a passenger I couldn't take the call anyway because I'm deaf! wink

DomesticCEO Sun 23-Jun-13 19:10:02

fluckered, I'm assuming you're joking or that you were stationary when you phoned the number in? hmm

If it was a joke it wasn't a funny one.

Scholes34 Sun 23-Jun-13 19:12:13

Melawen - I assume you're not saying that in your case it would be okay for the driver to take the call.

bigbluebus Sun 23-Jun-13 19:39:10

I find it unbelievable the number of people who think it is ok to drive whilst on the phone. I have seen neighbours setting off from home with their phones attached to their ears. Why not just delay setting off until you have finished the call ? - and we live on a bend, so they are steering around a bend and then a right/left hand turn at the T-junction down the road, with only one hand on the steering wheel.

And as for lorry drivers using phones - how can you drive that many tonnes of metal without being completely in control?

I remember a few months ago, I was driving DS to an interview at 6th form college when my mobile rang. I told him to check who it was, but it said 'private number' so I told him to answer anyway, just saying "hello". It was only the attendance officer from his school ringing to find out where he was (I had told the deputy head a couple of days earlier that he was going for the interview). The attendance officer must have though DS had bunked off for the day and taken my mobile so they couldn't contact me grin. Luckily I was dropping him back at school after the interview, so prevented further investigation.smile

TheSmallClanger Sun 23-Jun-13 19:49:31

I like the fact that driving gives me an excuse to ignore my phone, and most other distractions. I love being in my focused driving bubble.
I don't have a satnav and I don't eat in the car when it's moving, because I am very anal about where I eat.

Round here, you have to ask taxi drivers not to twat about with their phones while they drive. The roads are small and twisty.

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 20:10:50

Domestic I dialled in the number and car reg into my phone as if I were dialling it but didn't phone. but I would still be classed as using my phone to take down the info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now