Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that most people would agree that driving on the phone is stupid

(95 Posts)
PseudoBadger Sat 22-Jun-13 22:48:07

Why then, do I see so very many people doing it on every journey I take? Does no one actually give a shit?

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 09:56:22

i totally agree with everyone here however and i'm sure i'll be flamed for this, I doubt very much that all the drivers that has posted so far have NEVER made a call/text while driving. including me. have you ever applied lippy? eaten a bar of chocolate? had a coffee while driving? have seen many work vans in morning on way to work with drivers eating a breakfast roll and having a coffee while driving. that's just as dangerous.

ICantRememberWhatSheSaid Sun 23-Jun-13 10:00:27

I went on a driver awareness course (34 mph in a 30 mph zone) and when we were asked to raise our hands if we considered ourselves better than average drivers the whole class put their hand up. grin

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 10:03:10

grin exactly!

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 10:03:54

34 in a 30 zone? Christ that was harsh!

cozietoesie Sun 23-Jun-13 10:08:40

I just wonder, leaving aside the phoning while driving issue, what people seem to feel the need to phone about all the time.

hmm

hackmum Sun 23-Jun-13 10:12:15

"I doubt very much that all the drivers that has posted so far have NEVER made a call/text while driving. including me. have you ever applied lippy? eaten a bar of chocolate? had a coffee while driving?"

I have never done any of those things while driving. I wouldn't even consider doing those things while driving. Why do people think it's normal? When you're driving a car, you should be concentrating on driving a car. Not a difficult concept to grasp, I'd have thought.

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 10:14:08

I can hand on heart say I have never used the phone while driving. I put the phone in my bag behind the driver's seat. I may have eaten some Minstrels/Maltesers/Revels as they are safer than a bar of chocolate IMO. I don't drink coffee or anything while driving either.

I can't imagine texting while driving shock

I also wonder what all these important calls are. confused

Itsaboatjack Sun 23-Jun-13 10:15:42

A few years back my dh was with our dd and nearly got hit on a zebra crossing by a twat on his phone. My dh yelled at him, driver yelled some abuse back and then raced off to join the back of a traffic jam, while dh casually followed him up the road tapped on the window of a police car that happened to parked there and reported the twat driver while the driver was stuck in traffic and couldn't go anywhere. Twat driver got done.

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 10:15:58

hackmum its not a difficult concept to grasp i just doubt very much people are being honest. if you are, fair play. but i have had a can while driving (red bull before i'm accused of driving under the influence), read directions on a letter of appointment, answered calls etc. the only thing i do is wait til its a straight stretch of road or i will pull in where safe. why is it legal for the police to be on the phone? may invest in a car kit actually. don't want to add to my 2 speeding points shock

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 10:16:55

but sparkling the idea is that it takes your concentration away from driving .. so why isn't eating while driving banned or drinking or even smoking?!

GibberTheMonkey Sun 23-Jun-13 10:19:53

I was crossing a road at the lights with a friend and our two four year olds last month.
Driver on the phone drive straight through the lights.
One step further forward and our children would have been hit by that inconsiderate bastard.

And no I've never done those things as I don't have a licence and when I do pass so many years of being a pedestrian has taught me not to act like a selfish twat on the road because its dangerous.

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 10:20:47

I can delve into my bag of Minstrels without taking my eyes off the road though. smile

Changing CDs shouldn't be attempted though. I don't get why drinking isn't banned though-that involves concentration.

Also Sat Navs. How is having a screen attached to your windscreen legal? I chuck mine in the door pocket and just listen to the voice.

ShowOfHands Sun 23-Jun-13 10:46:10

I have never done any of that stuff but I passed my test 2 months ago so I still drive to the letter of the law, hands in the 10 and 2 position, speed perfect, signals consistent etc. It is pretty amazing how few people drive within the law actually. To take dd to school, I go through a 20mph area, then a 30mph, then a 40, then national speed limit (60 in this case). Very rarely is the person in front of me not pulling away from when I'm doing the speed limit bang on and the person behind me is usually on my tail. I usually get overtaken in the 30mph zone and the overtaker zooms off. 20mph is nearly always ignored ime, 30 people do at least 35-40 and as soon as the national speed limit signs are visible in the distance, people speed up so they're doing 60 as they hit them, 65-70 I'd guess within seconds of passing them. The pedestrian crossings, schools, traffic lights and roundabouts aren't given due care by at least 50% of drivers I reckon. I see so many near misses, people cut up, gesticulating and honking horns/flashing lights.

The other problem is that even if you know it's illegal and you get a hands free set, I don't think you're safe. I won't go in the car with MIL as she has a hands free ear thing and generally it goes like this:

<phone rings, MIL jumps and the car swerves slightly>

<MIL presses a button on her phone, starts shouting>

"HANG ON, HANG ON, ARE YOU COMING THROUGH? I CAN'T HEAR YOU. WAIT, IT HASN'T CONNECTED"

<MIL picks up her phone and starts pressing buttons and peering at the screen>

<MIL fails to see the 30mph sign and continues doing 50 whilst veering towards the verge>

"WAIT. ARE YOU THERE? CAN YOU HEAR ME? Oh you're there now, I can hear you. Hang on, the radio's still loud, let me turn it off"

<MIL starts looking at the radio whilst still muttering about Ken Bruce and sails over a pedestrian crossing without looking>

"What? OMG!"

<MIL is so shocked by the news on the phone that her hand is clamped over her mouth instead of on the steering wheel and she's staring at her passenger with a 'wait till you hear' look. Meanwhile, the car is still hurtling, barely attended, down the road>

"Oh I've just sailed past my turning, hang on, I'll do a three point turn... what was that, oh I don't know it's in my diary, I'll check later. Oh wait, it's only in the passenger footwell, let me get it"

<MIL leans down and reaches over, no idea at this point where the road is, what she's doing and who she's knocking over>

This goes on and on and on...

cozietoesie Sun 23-Jun-13 11:11:51

I'm not surprised you won't go in the car with her. My Mum was a bit like that and it's a constant amazement to me that I made it to adulthood.

Hissy Sun 23-Jun-13 11:19:47

Someone I know was hit by another driver, got a mouthful of attitude. My friend says she's sure the woman was on the phone.

The police/insurance companies do check records to see if the phone was in use.

I hope she gets the book hurled at her!

claraschu Sun 23-Jun-13 11:20:35

What about having squabbling children in the car while driving. That is far more distracting than eating something. I never ever phone while driving (it's not illegal where I live), but have often spent a boring drive munching away (especially on a wide straight US freeway). If you are doing a long drive, there are times when it is fine.

Glancing at a SatNav is safer than being confused, or doing what I used to see people doing and reading directions or maps.

Making a quick call if you are stuck in a traffic jam isn't dangerous, if you are sensible and don't take your eyes off the road (I wouldn't do it myself).
The problem is that people don't use common sense.

Sparklingbrook Sun 23-Jun-13 11:22:05

I can't glance at a screen while I am driving. It's offputting.

YY the Police can find your call/text history even if you have deleted it.

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 11:26:18

YY claraschu that's exactly it ... not using common sense.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Jun-13 11:34:57

"but sparkling the idea is that it takes your concentration away from driving .. so why isn't eating while driving banned or drinking or even smoking?!"

I believe if you have an accident whilst doing those things you could be charged with driving without due and and attention or whatever the offence is called.

PseudoBadger Sun 23-Jun-13 11:36:20

Anyway I hate this attitude of everyone else does it so it's ok. What happened to people having their own conscience and doing the right thing because it's the right thing?

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 11:38:00

i would assume and hope so Pseudo. thing is some people can actually multi task safely and if you use common sense and not do it in heavy traffic or a place that needs total concentration as opposed to motor way in middle of night then singling out those that use phone only when driving is hypocritical. the person and the surroundings are to be taken into account. however its the law and if caught so be it. nothing you can do. but i would like more penalties and action taken against those not concentrating full stop whether its turning around to kids in back seat, applying make up, eating a roll ... not just those on a phone.

fluckered Sun 23-Jun-13 11:39:17

i didn't say it was ok. i said that i didn't think people were being totally honest, admitted I do it (safely as I can in my eyes), and pointed out using a phone shouldn't be the only offense.

Tee2072 Sun 23-Jun-13 12:24:02

Mythbusters compared mobile phone use while driving versus driving drunk.

Mobile phone was worse than driving while intoxicated.

GibberTheMonkey Sun 23-Jun-13 12:42:07

My mil was driven into the back of. They were in a queue of about 6 cars waiting to turn right.
A lorry driver on the phone drove into the back of them without breaking. Even with decent gaps all the cars ended up shunted.
My eldest ds then 3 was in the back of the car as I was in hospital and my gmil was in the passenger seat.
Luckily it was an estate car as the rear end was crumpled and was a right off.
I just asked him if he remembered it and he said yes 'it was bang bang bang' complete with jerky actions 'and I got to sit in a fire engine'
He's 10 now and remembers it clearly

Stupid twat lorry driver was prosecuted but I don't know what happened as life was hectic at that time.

DomesticCEO Sun 23-Jun-13 12:50:10

fluckered, interesting that you mention getting an in-car kit. I was watching a programme the other day about the Transport Research Laboratory that has done studies on driving while on the phone and hands free kits and using a mobile normally in the car - there is virtually NO difference in the dreadful affect they have on people's driving and response times.

In other words hands free kits are just as dangerous.

It is the act of making or taking a call that is dangerous and takes your attention away from the road.

Hands free kits should be banned too IMO.

Dh's company now has a blanket ban on making/taking calls on mobile phones while driving. Very sensible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now