To think that... *Spoilers for The Voice final*

(82 Posts)
notafan0fy00 Sat 22-Jun-13 22:25:16

Andrea shouldn't have won - that Leah has a much, much better voice, but that Andrea got the sympathy vote?

I mean obvs A has a decent voice and is very brave, but she doesn't actually always hit the notes and her voice is often all quavery like an old lady, whereas Leah is just phenomental (albeit seems a bit twatty).

However, the People Of Britain - esp the kind who vote in these things - are suckers for a good sob story.

Mumsyblouse Sat 22-Jun-13 23:41:43

I think it might be Leah who will be needing the autotune, she murdered that Witney Houston song.

It may also be the case that all the oldies (like me) are happy to let their children vote for Andrea, but we wouldn't download their music. I'm not sure the voting demographic is the same as the downloading demographic, surely the downloading demographic are out for a start on Sat night?

Itaintmebabeitaintmeyourlookin Sat 22-Jun-13 23:56:32

I download the tunes from X factor and will download Andreas song tonight to play on my I phone in the car.
And I'm hideously old

member Sun 23-Jun-13 00:00:21

I think Andrea's voice Is ethereal & unforced & you feel comfortable that she will stay in tune; given the family nature of the show, she was most likely to appeal to the opposite ends of the age group watching.

I think Leah missed a trick by not 're-performing I will survive.Although her vocal range is impressive, it was how differently she interpreted a karaoke classic that made her stand out imo.

I think rather than the British public giving Andrea the sympathy vote, it was because her down to earth personality coupled with a couple of humorous quips about Danny won them over; they identified with her more readily than Leah's quirkiness.

cocolepew Sun 23-Jun-13 00:03:38

Leah is shit. Auto tune might rescue her for a while but a CD full of her squeaking then singing really low? It will get old very quickly.

williaminajetfighter Sun 23-Jun-13 00:05:35

Urgh. Andrea winning. I honestly don't think it was the sympathy vote I just think this is how middle England votes. They go for the naicest person who shows the most humility singing the naicest songs.

And this is why mr and mrs average from suburban Leicestershire do not work as talent scouts in the music biz.

Despite that I do think if Andrea had a super cute guide dog with her she would have got even more votes. Especially if it could do some tricks.

member Sun 23-Jun-13 00:06:47

And having read MUMSY BLOUSE'S post, I agree

englishteacher78 Sun 23-Jun-13 05:05:42

I've seen a lot of people moaning about Leah not winning but then saying they didn't vote - maybe that's why.
Andrea's solo choice was better IMO. Leah's best performance was the duet.
Leah will be fine - Will. i. Am is an excellent person to know in the trade. Love him and Jessie (their music gets me through running!)

NewAtThisMalarky Sun 23-Jun-13 05:56:52

While Leah's performance in the duet was good, it really didn't showcase her well. Andrea seemed to lack confidence in her duet. Matt, however, was great. I can't see why he was first out.

But then I didn't vote so can't really complain!

DowntonTrout Sun 23-Jun-13 08:34:27

They were also right about Mike being flat.

meddie Sun 23-Jun-13 08:45:57

Andrea just sounded like a choir singer, she did nothing for me. I liked Leah and some of her own versions of other songs on you tube are good, but more jazz than mainstream. Whatever happens she will have a career.
Mike needs to go over to Nashville, where the country music market is, he will probably do well there with being young and good looking.

DrHolmes Sun 23-Jun-13 08:49:44

I liked Andrea and Mike. Sometimes Leah is ok but on the final she was totally off with her first song. After Andrea sang her first song I went straight onto paddy power and put a bet on that she'd win. Hooray £20 for me smile

GoEasyPudding Sun 23-Jun-13 09:22:46

At the late stages of contests like this the singers are all very, very good. We choose who we like, it's just a matter of taste. I prefer Andreas voice right now. I also think there's a trend right now for a more folk sound - a clear, simple sound that Andrea has that helped her win. Leah sounded a bit 10 years ago - vocal tricks and that Witney song.
The good thing about this is it doesn't matter who wins, as it's all about hit records. If they don't release a hit record we won't be seeing them again sadly.

sweetestcup Sun 23-Jun-13 09:35:31

Whereas Leah is something different - not to everyone's tastes but definitely memorable

In my case for all the wrong reasons!

Samu2 Sun 23-Jun-13 09:40:39

I LOVE Leah, but no, I don't think Andrea got the sympathy vote and I think it undermines how hard she worked and how good she was on her last song. Also I don't think the public would vote for someone just because they are blind.

I am glad Leah didn't win, she will do much better now, especially with will.i.am backing her.

Andrea has a nice voice but I don't think she will sell many records, just like last years winner but I don't think it was the sympathy vote, people just genuinely liked her voice I guess.

Leah lost it when she did Whitney Housten.. awful song choice.

usualsuspect Sun 23-Jun-13 09:47:22

I knew Andrea would win from her first audition.

I can't see her selling many albums though.

usualsuspect Sun 23-Jun-13 09:52:26

Danny knew he was on a winner, that's why he kept putting het through.

Nothing to do with her voice.

The whole thing was a bloody farce.

LillethTheCat Sun 23-Jun-13 10:09:08

I think Andrea will sell loads of albums as did Charlotte Church back in the day. Not my cup of tea and I could barely watch when she was singing with The Script, it looked so uncomfortable. Also with the Angel wings on her first song coming out, nothing like a bit of cheesiness to it all.

If I voted in these sort of things I would have voted Leah or Matt, but I dont vote as I never believe these shows are looking for a singer (more so with X Factor than The Voice) or even really care if anyone gets a record contract at the end. Its all about entertaining the nation on a Saturday night.

forehead Sun 23-Jun-13 10:15:03

Leak will be a success anyway. She may not be everyone's cup of tea , but successful people often divide opinion.
Andrea has got a lovely voice, but she lacks the star quality.
Leah is quirky, slightly crazy (like Will I Am) .
I think this decision may mark the end of The Voice ,

Mumsyblouse Sun 23-Jun-13 10:16:38

I partly blame Danny though, for Andrea's performance of the duet. If you are partnering a singer who is visually impaired, probably the worst thing you can do is then run around the stage manically yourself, moving about and creating all the focus on you. If he had sung a two person duet with her, standing next to her, it would have played to her strenghts which is a nice clear tone. For her, that performance must have been pretty disconcerting and utterly baffiling as they all ran away from her to get the attention basically. Thinking of other visually impaired performers, that's probably why Stevie Wonder (who is in a different league, admittedly) sat at the piano so much. It's not that hard to think about how staging might be affected by sight impairment; not all singers are compelled to move about manically, but Danny wanted to show off his band and it didn't fit either with her voice or her performance possibilities (which are quite limited so why not work with them?)

forehead Sun 23-Jun-13 10:21:55

Agree with Mumsy.

Icelollycraving Sun 23-Jun-13 10:22:56

I loved Mike. I was v suprised that Andrea won. I don't think she was entirely put through each time on voice alone. She has a lovely voice for those emotional type songs. I was sure Leah would win,the Minnie Riperton song was fantastic but the Whitney one was not in key.
The judges all looked pretty shocked.

DowntonTrout Sun 23-Jun-13 10:35:55

I agree with mumsy in that the duet with Danny made for uncomfortable viewing.

When Simon Cowell says he trusts the British public to make the right choice, it's utter bollocks usually. Time and time again, with only one or two exceptions, the winner is not the real winner. Second or third proves to be the better position. One direction, Jls, Olly Murs.

I think this is because Saturday night tv is a viewing mix of young kids and parents. They are not the real target market, ie big buyers of music. So the producers go whole hog with sob stories etc to increase viewing figures, vote counts, after all they are making a tv show, that purports to be, but is not really interested in, finding the next big thing. The Voice says it is all about "the voice" this is just not true. It is very rare that being successful in the music industry means you have the best voice (Robbie Williams? Will.I.am? Etc)

I do wonder how Universal records feel this morning about representing Andrea. I think it's very likely she will have some success, but it will not be the result they wanted.

Ashoething Sun 23-Jun-13 10:35:55

I don't watch The Voice but turned it on last night for 10 minutes before switching to Cardifff singer of the world-where people can actually sing. Sorry but Andrea did win on the sympathy vote. She has a voice no better than girls who I see regularly singing at karaoke. She will be a one album wonder and will quietly be dropped.

crashdoll Sun 23-Jun-13 10:36:08

Gutted that Matt went out first. I think he and Leah were both much better than the other two.

sweetestcup Sun 23-Jun-13 10:55:08

ash if you have only ever saw 10 minutes of the Voice how on earth can you state that Andrea definitely only won because of the sympathy vote? confused

Commercially for the Voice it would have been better if Leah had won but there's no doubt Andrea can sing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now