Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think my birthday could be about me?

(64 Posts)
phantomhairpuller Sat 22-Jun-13 19:22:02

Ok so it's not a milestone birthday or anything but still!

DH and FIL went to the pub this morning to watch tho lions game. MIL stayed with me to help get things sorted for the family do which was taking place this afternoon.

Picked up the men folk at 1.30 and they were both fairly well oiled. They continued drinking when they got back to our house. My family descended at around 3pm and FIL immediately started with comments about how the English players were better then the welsh players during the game (it doesn't matter that they were all playing for the same team on this occasion!) he was trying to get a reaction from my (welsh) grandfather. It worked, my 79yr old grandfather walked away from the 'conversation' saying he couldn't be bothered with it- fair enough IMO.

To cut a long story short, you could cut the atmosphere with a knife and consequently my family left after 2hrs. DH passed out drunk and then MIL and FIL left without barely saying a word.

So on my bday, I've done all the clearing up and looked after a toddler and a newborn, basically on my own.

AIBU to be a bit pissed off or do I need a good slap and to get over myself?

Would love a wine now but am bf-ing hmm

GetStuffezd Mon 24-Jun-13 13:15:44

Oh bloody hell. As soon as he's vile again you need to be firm and say you're NOT putting up with this disrespectful behaviour. You've done NOTHING wrong and this is not how husbands treat their wives. You want an explanation now or he can get out until he's grown up enough to do so.

Honestly. Say that. Why the actual FUCK should you be apologising when you've done nothing wrong? And you sound really lovely, but don't give him licence to keep treating you like some inferior species.

BitOutOfPractice Netherlands Mon 24-Jun-13 13:19:30

What GetStuffed said. I feel really angry with your arse of a husband angry

diddl Germany Mon 24-Jun-13 13:27:50

So, you've got a toddler & a newborn & you organised your own party-with MIL-whilst the "men folk" went drinking?

Jeez-where to even start with that??

phantomhairpuller Mon 24-Jun-13 20:10:40

And just like that, he's snapped out of it. Came home, apologised for everything. Admitted he'd been a c**t (his words not mine), cooked tea and is generally doing everything he can to keep me sweet.

He did see his mother earlier so am wondering if she is behind his sudden change of heart.

The jury is still out on this one

Do you think he was worried about the hospital appointment?

I would be concerned about the snapping out of it after getting you to dance to his tune for 2 days tbh. I would have sent DH to his mother's on the Sunday until he grew up and behaved like an adult I want to spend time with.

GetStuffezd Mon 24-Jun-13 22:52:47

Ah well, alls well that ends well. Until next time. And the next. And the next.
Please please please ask him what prompted this horrible treatment rather than just feeling relief that your punishment is over. I'm shit at wording things, but this is wrong!

ICantRememberWhatSheSaid Mon 24-Jun-13 23:11:01

Oh dear, that is a sorry tale. [Sad]. I am glad he has seen some sense and apologised. Maybe you can have a proper chat with him later in the week.
Hope things go ok.

McGeeDiNozzo Tue 25-Jun-13 06:27:58

I'm glad he's apologised - especially since you have been very accommodating, to be frank. If I went to the pub and got pissed watching sport on my DW's birthday I'd be rent limb from limb by specially-commissioned giant cockroaches. And rightly so.

Blimey what a s* birthday op, poor you, your dh & your fil acted like selfish childlike morons. Celebrate your birthday today or tomorrow, leave dh with baby & get booked into a lovely spa or go out with friends.
Don't give him an option just gogrin

ApocalypseThen Tue 25-Jun-13 07:07:48

I just can't come to terms with the idea that he got drunk enough to pass out in a house where there are children. That should never happen.

grumpyinthemorning Tue 25-Jun-13 18:19:20

McGee, giant cockroaches? grin

What a twat. If he does it again, tell him to bugger off til he feels like behaving like an adult. You don't have to put up with this.

Sorry about your birthday. Come down to the pub, I'll treat you to a drink or ten grin

OctopusPete8 Tue 25-Jun-13 18:22:53

I'd say something, I'd be pissed off.

I'd be subsequently waking DP up and going for a lie down.

Flobbadobs Tue 25-Jun-13 19:12:18

You are way too kind. My DH would have had a choice of arseholes to use if he behaved like this.
I bet his Mum has had a go at him.

So what is his explanation for being a cunt? I don't think it's good enough to just say 'I was a cunt' and expect you to say 'ok no problem as long as you know'
Why did he treat you like that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now