is my landlord taking the piss?

(55 Posts)
Kungfutea Sat 22-Jun-13 14:26:45

We rented a house with a storage room in the basement. We use it a bit but still plenty of room. Our landlord emailed and TOLD us that he will be coming to use the storage room. We were a bit hmm that he stated a fact and didn't ask but in the spirit of good relations we agreed, assuming he would be using it for his own personal items.

He turns up with a friend whose things he will be storing. He was basically showing her the space. Then he tells her that if her things don't fit in the storage room, she can put things in the garage. THey're planning to bring these things next week.

I'm not sure of the nature of the relationship with this friend but it sounded very business like. I'm also not happy about him offering the garage (and TELLING us he will do so) as we often put the car in when we're away, the kids are in and out with their bikes and scooters etc, the gardening stuff is in there.

AIBU not to be happy about this? I checked the lease, not a word about landlord having the right to use the house for storage.

If the landlord ASKED to store some personal items in the storage room, that'd be OK. But to let someone else use it and then offer them use of our garage, that's taking the piss, right?

I don't think IABU but my landlord seems to think he's entitled to all of this as it's his house!

RenterNomad Mon 24-Jun-13 13:03:19

You've already got a precedent from the subletting, so why not suggest reinst
ating that arrangement? You will get the income for your inconvenience and he will get "his" cut.

Lawyer up, though. It is very clear that he feels he's getting your money, yet hasn't given up any rights to the property. His irritation also indicates he's not keen to lose face after making a "generous" gesture that, actually, he csn"t afford to fulfil himself , so he'llnsteal it from you.

RenterNomad Mon 24-Jun-13 13:04:21

Sorry about all those typos. Feeding-typing is extremely un-ergonomic!

CSIJanner Mon 24-Jun-13 13:28:02

What did the lawyer parent suggest?

ImTooHecsyForYourParty Mon 24-Jun-13 13:32:04

Is he going to reduce the rent to take into consideration the fact that part of the property that you pay rent for is now no longer available to you?

JustinBsMum Mon 24-Jun-13 13:40:29

Has anyone mentioned the risk of injury to a visitor to the house eg her stuff falls on a visiting child or small child falls against her stuff. She would have to agree to be liable and have some sort of insurance in place ( I would guess it being the US).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now