To wish people wouldn't put headbands on babies?

(262 Posts)

I hate wearing headbands. I last about an hour before the pressure behind my ears really gets to me.

Once they are old enough to figure out how, they will pull them off at every opportunity. They clearly don't like to wear them.

I know people think they are cute but babies are already cute! Little boys aren't put through this torture. AIBU?

NandH Sat 22-Jun-13 07:17:28

My 2yo dd wears little bow hairclips.... Does this count for anything grin

toomanyfionas Sat 22-Jun-13 07:20:11

I hate headbands on babies and am always astonished when someone who I have previously thought of as sane does this.

Doubtfuldaphne Sat 22-Jun-13 07:21:04

My dd had very long hair by 6 months and I had to use one but it was the elastic type so not to squeeze her little head. I was always wary that she didn't get left alone with it on when alone for a nap though as they can be a hazard if they get stuck around their neck
She is now 2.5 and hair down to her bum! Will she now let me put her in a hair band? No way!

Flobbadobs Sat 22-Jun-13 07:21:30

I don't like them much but I've only ever seen the fabric headbands on babies, where do all these babies wearing tight plastic headbands covered in ribbons and flowers live? confused
Most of these fabric headbands come as a set with outfits I think, people choose to put tem on, unless it's causing the chid pain I find it hard to get worked up about it.
YABU.

PoppyAmex Sat 22-Jun-13 07:43:49

I'm always obsessed about DD being comfortable, which is why she lived in babygrows until she started crawling and needed proper command of her toes and feet. We then moved on to rompers. grin

She spent a huge part if the day horizontally, usually napping, and I wouldn't sleep or lie comfortably wearing jeans, zippers, buttons and sweaty man made fabrics so I didn't subject her to that.

I was judged all the time, people want to see baby girls in huge dresses and head adornments and I agree with you, headbands are the worst.

TheSecondComing Sat 22-Jun-13 07:49:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Peanate Sat 22-Jun-13 07:56:02

My DD was born with two inch long nearly black hair. By the time she was 5 months it was in pigtails.

I desperately needed to keep the hair out of her eyes (i refused to cut it, the poor thing!) so she had plain little clips. I tried her in a soft wide Alice band once, but it was beyond useless. The clips were much better.

I hate hate hate those awful lace numbers that make babies look like Easter eggs - just hideous.

Onetwo34 Sat 22-Jun-13 08:01:49

They are naff.

Aetae Sat 22-Jun-13 08:02:53

My DF has a theory that the tight elastic headbands are part of a patriarchal plot to keep girls stupid and therefore subjugated by stopping their brains from growing grin

He does have an odd sense of humour though!

ParadiseChick Sat 22-Jun-13 08:07:02

You can get them for feet too!
Look!

namechangea Sat 22-Jun-13 08:07:23

Fine wearing clips and bobbles if it's on hair that's long enough. I wince whenever I see little girls with their hair puuuuuulled into pigtails soo tight they've got a Basildon face lift because their hair is too short.

Sparklingbrook Sat 22-Jun-13 08:13:53

These are what you need for your bald baby. Comes with glue. wink

ZillionChocolate Sat 22-Jun-13 08:20:53

Those stick on bows are awful! Your baby doesn't care whether she's a girl!

This is way better

tulippa Sat 22-Jun-13 08:22:24

If a baby has lots of hair you can kind of see the point but most of the time I think they're used a 'label' to show the baby's a girl. YANBU.

Branleuse Sat 22-Jun-13 08:22:38

I LOVE seeing a bald baby in a headband. Fills my heart with joy, because they look like easter eggs.

Branleuse Sat 22-Jun-13 08:23:20

GIRL GIRL. Look its a GIRL..... FEMALE CHILD> HEADBAND. PINK PUSHCHAIR

FudgeyCookie Sat 22-Jun-13 08:28:31

paradisechick those came up on my search when I was looking for white frilly socks for DD! I thought then, how ridiculous!

Dillydollydaydream Sat 22-Jun-13 08:36:03

Hahaha at the 'cabbage patch doll' wigs!
Also like the baby butt fan on the bottom of the screen, I'm assuming its to dry your precious baby's bottom after changing?!

MrsBungle Sat 22-Jun-13 08:39:42

I agree yanbu, they look bloody awful.

I did put a small clip in my dd's hair to just move it to the side to keep it out of her face while it grew.

RoooneyMara Sat 22-Jun-13 08:41:31

Hideous. I can't stand them. They're revolting. It's like the idea of a bald baby girl is so shocking that people have to try and distract you from the baldness.

Babies are supposed to be bald! (disclaimer: I have never had a girl so I may be being unfair. Also ds is not bald. He was born hairy.)

miffybun73 Sat 22-Jun-13 08:42:17

YANBU, they look absolutely ridiculous - especially on a child with no hair. Why, just why ? confused

RoooneyMara Sat 22-Jun-13 08:43:07

I did also blush once take a picture of ds2, asleep, wearing a doll's wig. And laughed in a mad, sleep deprived way for about 5 minutes.

He did look silly.

ratbagcatbag Sat 22-Jun-13 08:45:05

Hmmmm although I still like them and have a couple upstairs I don't have them to show she's a girl, otherwise I wouldn't dress her in funky green polka dot baby grows or pale blue spotty with flowers, and she definitely wouldn't have the the green and blue dummies that seem to not be in pink and they're the only ones she will use.

Luckily for you judgey lot my DH still won't let me put a headband on her. smile

Poppy - my dd is 13 weeks and she's wore a dress once, baby grows all the way here and will be until she's crawling around. You can get funky ones anyway.

theodorakisses Sat 22-Jun-13 08:48:08

I don't really care how people feed or dress their babies as long as they are loved. I think it's a bit mad to suggest a campaign, instead maybe think of the families who have had their entire villages washed away today in the flash floods in India. That said, full on denim dungarees and leather jackets with trainers make my teeth itch but it doesn't make me use the words hate and baby in the same sentence.

AThingInYourLife Sat 22-Jun-13 09:23:05

"That said, full on denim dungarees and leather jackets with trainers make my teeth itch but it doesn't make me use the words hate and baby in the same sentence."

grin

But it did make you use the words hate and baby in the same sentence!

Do good words get contaminated by sharing sentences with bad words? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now