Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To NOT book DD a pamper party? She's DESPERATE apparently.

(143 Posts)
NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 21-Jun-13 20:36:18

She's about to turn 9. She was/is a very shy child but this year has seen something of a turnaround. In fact I hardly recognise her. hmm

She's got some lovely friends old and new...she appears to be turning into a "pink and girly" girl and is asking for a pamper party....where they have a "makeover" etc.

I want her to have a pottery painting party.

AIBU not to do the pamper thing? It's going agin the grain!

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Fri 21-Jun-13 21:14:59

It wouldn't be my choice of party and I would try to encourage her to do something else (horseriding?) but if her heart was set on it, I'd let her do it - they wont go to hell in a handcart will they.

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Fri 21-Jun-13 21:15:58

Yes Boomba there are - but this is what she wants to do. It's not the end of the world to put some nailpolish on and hair their hair braided fgs.

Bonsoir Fri 21-Jun-13 21:18:37

Sounds fine to me. My DD will be 9 at her next birthday - if she wants a pamper party I will be happy to deliver.

Bonsoir Fri 21-Jun-13 21:19:35

My DD was clamouring to learn Latin this afternoon. Now that I do have problems with!

JackNoneReacher Fri 21-Jun-13 21:20:51

I would strongly resist a pamper party. But wouldn't insist on the pottery painting which sounds really dull to me.

Is there a compromise? Something different?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 21-Jun-13 21:21:51

There's a salon...a nice one which offers girls package...bit of glitter and hair up and nails done. Then I could take them for an ice cream/cake at a lovely parlor nearby....

diddl Fri 21-Jun-13 21:23:52

Surely though the "pampering" can be as much or as little as you are willing to allow?

There's a compromise to be had.

Floggingmolly Fri 21-Jun-13 21:24:32

Oh go on. They're only hideous from an adult perspective; the kids love them!

soverylucky Fri 21-Jun-13 21:27:25

*She was bored? Even though she had other children for company?
I've never known my kids to be bored at any type of party when there are other kids to hang out with.*

That is why she was bored. She couldn't play with her friends as they were sitting waiting for their nails to dry. Or she was waiting while they had their hair braided. She was 6 and would have preferred to have not been sat around doing nothing whilst another girl had some glitter put on her. There wasn't the opportunity to play.

PatsysPyjamas Fri 21-Jun-13 21:28:34

I remember my 9th birthday as it was a real success. We each had our own t-shirts (could make it cotton shopping bags instead) to decorate with fabric paint, glitter, jewels etc, then we designed and ate ice creams sundaes. You could add a bit of nail varnish or hair braiding. it's nice as each girl gets to take home something they have made. Possibly this would seem too young now as children grow up younger these days, but it might feel more comfortable than make up and cocktails.

TooMuchRain Fri 21-Jun-13 21:28:37

I really don't like the idea of preening as an activity at that age and think they would be much better actually doing something, but it's tricky if that's what she wants already, just a bit sad that she does at that age...

MammaTJ Fri 21-Jun-13 21:30:26

Do not book her a pamper party and all the expense that entails. Do buy a few prrl off face masks, nail varnishes and other bits and bobs and have a pmaper party at home.

Get a friend who is in to that kind of thing to help out. Not too much money spent, everyone happy!!

MammaTJ Fri 21-Jun-13 21:33:58

peel*

Growlithe Fri 21-Jun-13 21:34:06

Boomba exercise is something that should obviously be part of their normal routine. This is a shy girl coming out of her shell, and choosing what she wants to do with her friends for her birthday.

And I would much rather do this than have a sleepover. grin

Boomba Fri 21-Jun-13 21:35:03

I fail to see how applying nail varnish and having a hair braid, constitutes any kind of party. Sounds lame, as well as inappropriate

Cherriesarelovely Fri 21-Jun-13 21:36:02

I can't see much point in a "cinema" party Boomba as noone actually gets to play or chat and maybe Op's Dd isn't into sporty stuff. I find some of the "pampering" sort of activities a bit yuk but a bit of nail varnish and hair brading.....jeez, why not? Fwiw my Dd and my Dp often have pampering nights and my Dp is a female pilot who is anything but girly in day to day life! I'd let her but obviously steer it so it is within the bounds of good taste!

Boomba Fri 21-Jun-13 21:39:37

Don't have one them cherries!

I aren't asking for views/advice. OP asked for opinions on pampered parties

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 21-Jun-13 21:39:50

Boomba I know what you're saying...it's not a "party" at all is it....it's more of a "treat" or a Birthday Outing. I suppose that's the thing...when you're 9 going on 19 you don't want a "party" anymore.

Cherriesarelovely Fri 21-Jun-13 21:40:15

It's about the fact that this little girl has made some new friends and that is what they are into.....I would draw the line at actual make up. My sil did a full on makeover party for her Dds aged 7, they had full make up on....it was odd!

soverylucky Fri 21-Jun-13 21:40:54

Kids do seem to grow up quicker these days and I guess we all have our own theories on why this is - I personally think it is largely because parents encourage them to grow up quickly then moan when they do.

pictish Fri 21-Jun-13 21:41:18

I fail to see how applying nail varnish and having a hair braid, constitutes any kind of party.

You mean outside of the fact that they enjoy it?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 21-Jun-13 21:41:22

Cherries she is in fact the most UN sporty kid in the world. She loves makeup and anything to do with that and she always has...she was 3 and showing a deep interest in the cosmetics counter. I am very un preened...I wear a bit of mascara and have my hair done but no nails or anything.

zzzzz Fri 21-Jun-13 21:43:34

I wouldn't do a pamper party. Dd got invited to one at 9 and was only allowed to go because it was her best friends birthday and i felt backed intoa corner . She had her hair braided but I don't allow make up on children unless its face paint to be a lion or whatever, so the rest she just giggled with the girls waiting.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Fri 21-Jun-13 21:43:48

Cherries you've hit the nail on the head there....it is amazing that she's where she is. She was a silent child two years ago....no confidence at all. Now she's getting some guts and confidence and if it IS down to her newish "girly" mates then good on them.

PatsysPyjamas Fri 21-Jun-13 21:44:16

It sounds kind of like you want to do it. Are you worried other parents won't approve?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now