Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feel let down by mumsnet

(413 Posts)
cantbedoingwithit Fri 21-Jun-13 16:17:23

A friend has been raving about mumsnet and said that i should join as it is "like talking to friends who are supportive, friendly and who give sound advice." I have been lurking on mn and have been reading lots of threads and have been put off from starting a thread myself because i found some of the replies really quite un friendly (to say the least) and some sound quite rude. I realize that mn prides its self on being a 'no nonsense' type of forum and life isnt all flowers and fluffy clouds, and that sometimes the truth isnt always 'nice' but i was quite shocked at some of the 'un sisterly' comments.

KatoPotato Fri 21-Jun-13 16:18:27

Please have my first ever biscuit

TheCutOfYourJib Fri 21-Jun-13 16:19:37

You get used to it, or maybe nethuns is more up your street.

You have been put off starting a thread because everyone is rude, yet you are quite happy to start a thread slagging off an entire site which you clearly don't know a lot about?

RiotsNotDiets Fri 21-Jun-13 16:20:23

So what's up then?

Gizza problem, I'll solve it for you and I won't call you a cunt nor nuffink

Hilarious! grin

CMOTDibbler Fri 21-Jun-13 16:21:12

MN is like having friends, indeed. But the sort of friends that really will tell you that you look fat in the dress you are trying on, that your kids aren't 'free range' that they are feral, and that you are, at that point in time being a twat. As well as holding your hair when you vom, holding your hand in the bad times, and celebrating in drunken raucousness in the good.

Look elsewhere than AIBU too - thats not the place for support

Hullygully Fri 21-Jun-13 16:21:34

yes it's sadly true

it needed saying

WELL DONE you

people are just too scared to stand up to the rudeness, cliques and bullying that goes on and tell the truth

ChaoticTranquility Fri 21-Jun-13 16:22:30

Where exactly have you lurked on mn? If it's only AIBU then those are the sorts of replies that you will get on some threads. Try chat which isn't usually as erm...blunt. As for unsisterly most posters won't agree with another poster just because they're the same sex.

Like life...some people are cunts.

But not everyone grin

I love MN & have learnt to ignore shit replies to the point where I almost don't notice them anymore because of my mental shit-reply filter smile

Yikes - so you wade in with an AIBU and expect it to get any easier?!

If this isn't your corner of the web, keep searching until you find one that suits you better. Or just lurk a bit longer and see if it sucks you in.

At its best, this place is great - side-splittingly funny, tear-jerkingly compassionate and often abrasively wise. At its worst, its no worse than any other large forum I have encountered.

ArtexMonkey Fri 21-Jun-13 16:23:21

This? Again? Bye

p.s saying you don't like Mumsnet on AIBU is a tad daft if you're of a sensitive disposition.

I mean that in a naice way!

corlan Fri 21-Jun-13 16:23:51

It's a nest of vipers.

SugarandSpice126 Fri 21-Jun-13 16:23:55

Exactly what tantrums said. Plus it's not like every poster is vetted to see if they qualify as 'nice'...as in life, some people may be short with you, or voice a strong opinion. But on the whole, I think you'll find if you are in desperate need of help and support, it's a good place to be. And if you don't like it, you can leave instead of telling us what you think of us all. What's the point of coming on here just to make judgements about one group of people?

mylovelymonster Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:05

There are different cliques, social groups, class groupings personality types depending which thread type. Dear God in Heaven, just don't go anywhere near AIBU.

ArtexMonkey Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:10

AHEM orchardkeeper, I see you there pyjama gurl wink

CarpeVinum Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:18
Notgoingto Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:29

I like the rudeness! It's mostly just speaking frankly and I prefer it to fake niceness any day of the week.

mylovelymonster Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:34

blush

Pascha Fri 21-Jun-13 16:25:31

ok.

runningonwillpower Fri 21-Jun-13 16:25:41

I'm a new member and I love the straight talking.

I had this preconceived notion that it would be all tofu and preciousness. Was I wrong.

ShadeofViolet Fri 21-Jun-13 16:25:56

Its Holly Willoughby!

xylem8 Fri 21-Jun-13 16:26:36

'(I) have been put off from starting a thread myself'

..and yet you did!
..and your first thread is slagging off mumsnetters!

Shh artex grin

The thread made me do it.

I'm going, i'm going....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now