Not to want my 11 year old DD wearing Miss Sexy trousers for school?

(55 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Fri 21-Jun-13 13:08:36

Trying to get ahead with uniform buying for next term has bitten me on the bum because DD doesn't like the trousers she's been wearing any more and wants some 'Miss Sexy' ones instead. Apparently (and I do take this with a pinch of salt) hardly anyone wears 'those baggy ones' (ie normal bootcut black trousers) any more.

Apart from my intense dislike of the name of this brand, I also think they're completely impractical for school - DD is very slim so she'd look OK in them but I know from wearing skinny trousers/jeans myself that they're not that easy to do stuff in and that involuntarily showing off your underwear is often involved.

I'm torn because I remember how I hated my Mum not letting me wear a split skirt when everyone else did but everything in me says buying these stupid trousers for DD sends all sorts of wrong messages - that she has to follow the crowd, that what you look like is important at school (I'm fairly relaxed about what she wears outside of school) and that she can persuade me to do something just by using the line 'everyone else is/has...'.

Have to say I am sick of one battle after another about what other kids are doing just because their parents don't seem to give a toss half the time be as strict as I am.

Madlizzy Fri 21-Jun-13 15:24:51

I've seen far worse than these trousers.

LastTangoInDevonshire Fri 21-Jun-13 15:56:56

Buy them and cut the label out. Give them to her to try on. If she refuses or says they are 'crap' , show her the label..........then insist she wears ordinary trousers.

Startail Fri 21-Jun-13 16:05:51

DDs school are on the warpath about skirt length, so the pupils have decided to wear stupidly tight trousers and leggings instead.

School are now muttering about only Trutex trousers.

That is unenforceable, you can't ask to look down a girls' waist bands and parents like me, who's DDs wear smart Next and M&S trousers, are not going to spend money on new ones.

GetOnYourDancingShoes Fri 21-Jun-13 16:08:12

DD wears them but I always remove the labels.

PurpleBlossom Fri 21-Jun-13 16:10:32

They don't look to bad to me OP (never heard of them before!) I'd let her wear them as long as the school were ok with it.

Found a good picture of 'Miss Sexy' vs conventional trousers here

Floggingmolly Fri 21-Jun-13 16:15:56

Baggy boot cut school trousers are now completely out and unfashionable
Maybe I'm just out of the loop as my dd's school insist on uniform being, you know, uniform; bought from a particular shop and all the same range so every item is identical,
but why is school uniform supposed to be fashionable???

Startail Fri 21-Jun-13 16:17:58

I agree its a horrible name. With buttons, zips and logo showing they are certainly not appropriate. With the DDs untucked Summer polo shirts, many of the designs are better than the leggings and skinny jeans I see outside school.

notso Fri 21-Jun-13 16:20:35

DD pestered the back off me for these I refused as they are so crappily made, the material is awful. The compromise was some skinny fitting school trousers from Next which have caused endless trouble from school as they are apparently jeans!

School is in special measures now and the new head is cracking down on uniform. Only tailored type trousers will be allowed from September.

Madlizzy Fri 21-Jun-13 16:23:21

In my kids' school, it's enough cost to get the blazer, jumper, pe polo, pe sweatshirt from the one shop. The school has a high incidence of children from poorer families who have to prioritise funds and our local council doesn't provide school uniform grants. Also, I don't think a small bit of individuality does any harm.

I agree flogging I'm
No prude but I cannot believe what I see young girls wearing to school these days. I know I'm older but not that old. Some are as tight as leggings how they breath or are comfy I don't know.

plainjaney Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:33

Matalan actually do a stretch skinny bootcut trouser thats really really robust. They look exactly like the Miss Sexy ones but are only £12 and last.

My DD is 15 and a size 8 and these fit her perfectly. Wouldn't dream of sending her into school in baggy ones because its not worth the ridicule. I was 15 once, it's difficult enough without battles over a cheap pair of trousers.

CambridgeBlue Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:46

Thanks all, some really interesting (and funny!) replies. I do agree about there being bigger battles ahead so am going to try and compromise. I am sure that other stores will sell a similar style of trousers that fit in with DD's desire for something less 'baggy' without being called something ridiculous and inappropriate so I'll try and track something down that will keep us both happy.

I do love this place for giving me a sense of perspective smile

CambridgeBlue Fri 21-Jun-13 16:26:34

X-posted plainjaney - Matalan was going to be my first port of call because they also sell polo shirts that tick all of DD's boxes hmm.

Startail Fri 21-Jun-13 16:28:02

Flogging, if your DDs go to a private or a grammar school, you can just about get away with a fixed uniform.

Even then I know private school girls who's mum's substitute £20 blouses with cheap ones.

A state school in a very mixed area is treading on very thin ice if it starts stipulating certain items when far cheaper and perfectly adequate alternatives are already owned.

Presenting parents who's daughters already own clothes in tbe spirit of the rules with an unnecessary
£18 x no.of DDs x spare pairs bill
will not end well.

Floggingmolly Fri 21-Jun-13 16:31:42

No, Startail, it's a London comprehensive (although it is an ex grammar). And yes, the uniform is eye wateringly expensive. Seems to be fairly universally adhered to, though.

plainjaney Fri 21-Jun-13 16:32:23

Cambridge my DD is a funny size, exceptionally tall and very skinny. She's a size 6 everywhere else but Matalan trousers seem to size up quite small. If you struggle in there then New Look do the same style in their teens range just dont buy their school shirts - cheap yes, but godawful to iron.

Startail Fri 21-Jun-13 16:33:01

We already have expensive logo'd games and summer polo shirts, expensive odd coloured skirts and posh jumpers.

Adding trousers to the list would, I think be, the straw that broke the camel's back.

The girls would say Fuck off and many Mothers would too.

Startail Fri 21-Jun-13 16:35:49

We are a ordinary rural comp. in a grammar school area (not quite a secondary modern because we are a long way out).

We just doesn't do airs and graces, they just sit baddly.

piprabbit Fri 21-Jun-13 16:36:25

Offer her a compromise.

She can have Miss Sexy trousers on condition that she gets ones with a bit of growing room.

Bahahaha.

Floggingmolly Fri 21-Jun-13 16:41:22

I don't do airs and graces either, Startail grin
I think the uniform is a hangover from it's glory days as a grammar, and trousers are most definitely not allowed.
They'd still have straw boaters if they thought they'd get away with it

Floggingmolly Fri 21-Jun-13 16:42:02

Oh, it's an all girls school, in case the no trousers rule sounded odd!

xylem8 Fri 21-Jun-13 16:43:02

Just googled them
They are not school trousers.

Startail Fri 21-Jun-13 16:43:51

We also have a fair few of Ofsteds hidden rural poor.

For them it's good the middle class DCs rebel and look slightly scruffy.

Like wise school don't worry about old style games kit or everyone wearing summer uniform. So far they have stepped carefully. I hope they continue to do so.

AmbrosiaCreamedMice Fri 21-Jun-13 16:50:53

@ plainjaney If you get a minute, would you mind linking to the Matalan trousers? Is it the Bengaline ones? Ta.

KurriKurri Fri 21-Jun-13 17:06:54

Go out to buy them for her, and when you get to the shop say to her 'actually they are really nice, I think I will get a pair for myself too' she may go off them. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now