Venue hosting a party night on same day as our Wedding!

(38 Posts)
PickledRupert Thu 20-Jun-13 23:38:41

Hi,

Me and my DP are getting married in between Christmas & New Year2013. Our venue has two function rooms, and before we booked the venue we made sure that they only allow one wedding per day.

Today we have found out that our venue is hosting a 'post Christmas party' with live entertainment on the night of our wedding, in the larger function room, which fits up to 350 people. We are only having about 100 guests and I'm worried that the extra people and noise will dearf our evening do, and that the kitchen will be busy with this extra party. Also, the function rooms share bathrooms, so our guests would have to walk past the party to use the loos, and there is obviously going to be more people waiting to use the facilities.

The venue hasn't notified us of this party at all, we found out by chance whilst looking at their Christmas offers online. The wedding planner even said when we were booking that we had chosen a nice date as the venue would be quite due to it being in between their Christmas and New Year celebrations.

To me it feels like this is worse than having another wedding party on at the same time as there is the potential for the party to be much bigger than an average wedding reception. I don't know how to bring up my dissappointment to the venue. Would it be acceptable to ask for any kind of discount, as we were led to believe that the second function room wouldn't be in use. I have checked the paperwork and can't see anything about exclusivity on our contract!? Any ideas what we should do?

SlowlorisIncognito Fri 21-Jun-13 21:39:58

On the one hand, I can see why you feel you have been misled by the venue, so I would speak to them, and say you feel they have been disingenous, and you are a bit upset.

On the other hand, if the venue has two function rooms, they will be used to catering for this, and I am sure it will all be fine. If you wanted sole use, you really have to pay for sole use. If they are a venue with two function rooms, but usually only have one in use (especially if it's the smaller one) they won't be making much money.

Mixxy Fri 21-Jun-13 20:23:05

I can see why you'd be annoyed. I attended a wedding in similar circumstances and all we heard through the exchange of vows was "aga-do-do-push-pineapple-shake the tree". Awful.

YANBU

I have worked at lot of places that host weddings. The most important thing is to make sure the bride feels the day is all about her.

I would speak to the venue and say you have noticed there will be a big event going on at the same time as your wedding and tell them your concerns (noise during speeches, crashers, etc). Hopefully they will tell you how they plan on making sure that nothing will detract from your big day and put your mind at ease. If they don't have reasonable solutions to your concerns then I would make it clear to them that they are not providing the wedding you had expected and they may offer you some kind of discount or compensation rather than lose your business completely.

PoppyWearer Fri 21-Jun-13 19:26:42

Happened at our wedding too. We were told repeatedly "don't worry, it's a quiet day, hardly any guests" then a week before found out they'd had a late booking for a mahoosive conference. Naff all we could do about it.

We rolled with the punches to some extent. I did have to complain a few times about conference guests coming in to "have a look" at our wedding room, using the toilets designated for our bit of the venue, and trying to raid our free bar (luckily DH is a rugby player and had a fair few mates to "help" with that one) but overall it didn't spoil our day and is now a funny story we can tell.

But I do see why you're worried and I was pissed off at our hotel/venue for taking the booking and then not policing it properly (compounded by the fact the Events Manager was on holiday).

MortifiedAdams Fri 21-Jun-13 19:19:01

Why are you concerned about the food? If the venue has two function rooms then the kitchen will be well used tocatering two events. If your venue has a restaurant and does bar food then the kitchen will also be doing that - unoess you want them to close the whole place down wink

LoveBeingUpAt4InTheMorning Fri 21-Jun-13 19:14:45

Yabu

josephinebruce Fri 21-Jun-13 19:10:20

Why not just see it as an opportunity for a bigger party for your guests?

PicaK Fri 21-Jun-13 16:08:15

Sorry hit send too early.

I can see why you're worried and i don't want to dismiss your concerns but just wanted to say it's not the disaster you might think.

PicaK Fri 21-Jun-13 16:05:34

This happened to me at our wedding- and it didn't affect us at all ina bad way.

There are some crazy dudes in afros and flares (it was a 70s disco night) in some of the evening photos from party guests who gatecrashed.

And our guests thought it was cool they could gate crash the other party for a bit. As you only spend 3 mins talking to each guest it really didn't matter that everyone wasn't in the same room at the same time. And i was swept along on a wave of bonhomie and happiness.

Plus everyone goes aww when they see the bride.

TBH lots of the special memories weren't the things i planned.

cerealqueen Fri 21-Jun-13 15:20:41

Great advice from zipzap

WilsonFrickett Fri 21-Jun-13 12:10:10

Guff took the words right out of my mouth! They've had this idea to boost takings in what is usually a very flat time of year for venues. Thing is, it's flat for a reason. I don't think they'll sell 350 tickets for this at all and suspect it will end up being cancelled.

Of course, if they only sell a few tickets and your do looks like a better option then you'll be at more risk of gatecrashers, etc, but there was a good pp about things to discuss with the wedding planner up thread.

Cravey Fri 21-Jun-13 12:03:08

Yabu they said no other wedding. They have stood by that. If you were that bothered you should have booked somewhere with only one function room, or booked both rooms yourself. Nothing you can do but suck it up.i doubt very much if it will impact upon your day, they will have done this hundreds of times before and be well practised in it.

GuffSmuggler Fri 21-Jun-13 12:00:19

Don't worry NO ONE will want to go to a 'post Christmas party' in between Christmas and new year, sounds like the worst idea ever. They will have to cancel due to lack of interest!

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 11:59:41

The venue didn't necessarily know about the event when you booked. They may have looked their bookings with a view to filling empty spaces.

mrsjay Fri 21-Jun-13 11:59:29

In the nicest possible way (honest) you are being really bridezilla about this you dont want your day overshadowed by anything do you, your guests wont care there is a party in the building

Jestrin Fri 21-Jun-13 11:57:33

I think you are being naive to think their other larger function room would not get booked up.

I would find out what kind of party the other one is going to be. Live music? Disco? If you are worried, then rebook elsewhere.

mrsjay Fri 21-Jun-13 11:53:37

I dont think they have been conned they did say they didnt take any other weddings it isnt a wedding if they are using a small room and then they had the chance to fill a bigger room with a party then why not,

Oblomov Fri 21-Jun-13 11:52:00

I think this is a real shame, because it has left a very slightly sour taste in your mouth. They didn't exactly , say, but then they didn't deny. It's as if you have been ever so slightly conned.

Hope you can sort it out.

SoupDragon Fri 21-Jun-13 11:51:00

Did you really think they would only hire out the small room and leave the large one completely empty? It's obvious that both venues might be in use - they specifically said they only book one wedding at a time.

mrsjay Fri 21-Jun-13 11:48:26

, then you should be able to expect them to ensure that your wedding is not disturbed by the party.

yes they will smile

CloudsAndTrees Fri 21-Jun-13 11:46:12

It sounds like they have covered themselves well in what they have said to you, so I don't think you are going to be able to do much to change it.

But if this is an expensive venue where you are paying for quality Of service as well as just the use of a room, then you should be able to expect them to ensure that your wedding is not disturbed by the party.

mrsjay Fri 21-Jun-13 11:39:17

I have been at weddings where that was something else on in another room it is fine I am not sure what your issue is they are a venue with two rooms did you expect your wedding to be exclusive the venue wont make much money if they did that everytime they had a wedding in, Enjoy your wedding and dont worry about it

halcyondays Fri 21-Jun-13 11:35:29

It wouldn't have bothered me, but it does sound as if they've misled you a bit.

PickledRupert Fri 21-Jun-13 00:43:36

Thanks ZipZap, we will definitely speak to the venue and you've given us a lot if pointers to ask about that we hadn't even thought of.

OhDearNigel Fri 21-Jun-13 00:36:21

There were 3 other functions going on at the venue where we had our evening do, including another wedding in the room downstairs - about 600 people in total including ours. I never even noticed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now