to expect a login to a computer when doing supply at a school

(73 Posts)
kim147 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:08:14

Or even a computer?
Schools are pretty good at giving you a leaflet about the school when you do supply. Tellls you playtimes, behaviour and other routines.

But you sometimes have to fight tooth and nail to get a login. Hardly anyone seems to know a supply login and sometimes they are forced to give you their login.

And asking for access to the internet to get resources - well that's just a whole new password.

Been to some schools where the teacher has a laptop which they've taken home. And no laptop has been available in the school. There is no whiteboard in the class as it has been replaced with the interactive one.

I sometimes think teachers should all have experience of supply just so they know how to help a supply teacher when one comes in.

Eyesunderarock Sat 22-Jun-13 14:34:49

See, this is what wastes so much time in schools. reinventing the wheel.
Like hundreds of tiny, independent kingdoms scattered across the country.
That's a good idea Twilbach, but it's been standard practice in my school for the last 15 years. A supply file with what you need in it.
Class lists, groups, seating plan, timetable pin number for the PE shed, IEPs, the lot.
Likewise having a supply photocopier number and a laptop login that is just for supply.
Why aren't all schools doing it? Inefficiency annoys and flusters the teacher, impacts on the children's learning, pisses off the usual teacher when they come back...the answer is so simple. confused

Euphemia Sat 22-Jun-13 13:31:10

It's amazing how often I went into a classroom and there was no teacher's planner on the desk, or a planner with nothing written in it. Or worse, next to "09:00-09:30": "Spelling". hmm

TwllBach Sat 22-Jun-13 09:57:41

In our (primary) school we aren't really allowed to take our laptops home with us for (partly) this reason. We also don't have codes to stop people using the laptops and we an IWB as well as an actual whiteboard.

I'm beginning to think that should I be successful and get a full time position I will compile a special file for supply teachers, should I need to use it. Brief class list with info and brief outline of school day with timings and discipline system? Maybe a birds eye map f the class with everything labelled so they know where to find things?

Maybe I will so it anyway for my own entertainment... <NQT>

Movingtimes Sat 22-Jun-13 09:40:22

Spikey - I walked into the staffroom at break when on supply on one school to find the cover manager holding the work my previous class had done and saying in tones of shock 'They actually did the work for her.' Don't know what they normally expected from supply! Have a full time job now but I would not go back to supply as ime even when booked to cover your own subject you were never trusted to teach, but just supervise the completion of achingly dull worksheets.

Spikeytree Fri 21-Jun-13 20:26:54

exotic, I wouldn't go back to my school if I could avoid it!

TBH, most cover is done by cover supervisors and I would never set anything vital as I know that most of the work won't get done.

kim147 Fri 21-Jun-13 20:11:49

Photocopier codes - because supply teachers don't need to use it.

Or even a code when you press print when you are on the computer.

So many codes.

storynanny Fri 21-Jun-13 18:35:56

ps I had great fun today with year 2, no IBW needed according to the plan, good job too as I spotted a gap where the laptop should be. Didnt have the chance to try out my new favourite phrase "off piste" though.
re photocopiers, what a palaver in some schools.

storynanny Fri 21-Jun-13 18:33:43

and best of all... on Mondays I can go home instead of going to a staff meeting. In fact I try not to go to school on Mondays so I dont get that sunday afternoon feeling. I can also now avoid infant sports day, another saga which could fill a whole thread.
my dear old dad has a good phrase, "Smile and take the money"

MiaowTheCat Fri 21-Jun-13 09:03:21

I did years of supply - loved it, was fucking good at it, got asked back to about 90% of schools as a regular bod. I only don't do it now because of the way it was dying out, coupled with having the two kids and it not being financially viable to pay out for childcare for them with the way supply work was going. (Plus not having to deal with smarmy agency shitbags at 8am is bliss)

I could deal with the "they know what they're doing" lesson plans, I could deal with the "design a poster" crap or no planning at all, I could wing something as well matched as possible with my eyes closed. I could generally guess the login for the IWB computer (in primary schools try: teacher, staff, adult, the school name, the class name or password - they work about 95% of the time)

What consistently drove me nuts were classrooms where the normal whiteboards had been removed to ONLY have an IWB on the wall, and the teacher had taken the laptop that powered the IWB off on the course with them. There's nothing quite as fun as having to teach the day with a combination of a child-size individual whiteboard and blu-tacked sheets of A4 paper to the walls (for added fun do this on a hot and windy day when you need the windows open and the wind blows your impromptu whiteboard off the walls repeatedly).

I always advise supplies in primary at least to have some activities ready that assume you'll have no IT facilities, no access to exercise books (some schools refuse to let supplies do book work or the teacher has them at home to mark and has been taken ill overnight) and no code for the photocopier or time to run a set of copies off if it's a last-minute job.

Oh my other pet hate was that our council has been merging infant and junior schools all over the shop - and there's nowt as fun as the agency sending you to Somewhere Infants, and you spending hours looking for it - only to find it's now become Anywhere Primary and the infants has moved onto the old junior school site.

Euphemia Fri 21-Jun-13 07:04:20

Most Scottish schools have only a few classroom assistants in the whole school, if they're lucky. I've worked in 20 schools in three different local authorities, and never once come across a class with a designated classroom assistant.

kim147 Fri 21-Jun-13 07:04:05

I arrived at a small village school and it was locked. The other teacher was late and she had the keys.

exoticfruits Fri 21-Jun-13 07:02:44

In that case the admin may not arrive until 9am and the IT support probably comes in once a week- and not the day you are there! It is a different world.

exoticfruits Fri 21-Jun-13 07:00:42

Secondary and primary supply work is obviously poles apart - a different role entirely - as is talk of management/admin etc. It doesn't work like that in a 3 teacher village school with a teaching head, where you are in because they are down to 2 teachers!!

exoticfruits Fri 21-Jun-13 06:57:34

Apologies about saying that I would never go back to your school spikeytree- it now transpires you are secondary. I am primary- you do not get left worksheet/text book cover- you are expected to teach! You need the same access to resources as the teacher. If the teacher is off ill you get their plans and if it is referring to use of the Internet/whiteboard resources it is a real pain if you can't log on - it either leaves you at a huge disadvantage in the lesson or you waste valuable time finding someone who will log you on. Finding that the computer attached to the whiteboard is missing means you are completely stuffed!

OrangeLily Fri 21-Jun-13 06:27:39

My apologies, my typing wasn't up to scratch as I was very tired.

All I meant was that it is not a teacher's job to provide you with a log on. It is management/ admin/ head teacher/ council.

Lessons can be carried out without IT if appropriate cover work has been left.

McGeeDiNozzo Fri 21-Jun-13 04:07:36

'If you are paid to so supply then do it but sit expect someone else to a management job.'

What does this sentence even mean?

Eyesunderarock Fri 21-Jun-13 00:08:50

Easier not to use worksheets.

BlackeyedSusan Thu 20-Jun-13 23:57:48

it was apain back in the day when therre were no interactive white boards... cut out and stick this worksheet to that worksheet... with one fucking glue stick per 6 children...

oh and johnny there has x problem and his support will not be in until after playtime...

Eyesunderarock Thu 20-Jun-13 23:54:32

Wonderful, isn't it.
I love the fact that all the politics are ephemeral to me, I'm much poorer on supply, but I will live long and prosper. smile

storynanny Thu 20-Jun-13 23:40:31

However, despite the lack of login, mysterious class routines, I would rather be doing a couple of days supply a week than go back to the full time slog.
Over the last 2 years of supply since taking early retirement, I've gradually changed and adapted my work. I no longer worry about covering everything which has been set for instance. I just do my best job, smile a lot at staff and children, keep order, mark everything, leave short notes for the teacher, volunteer to do the payground duty, thank the ta, tdy up and go home.

kim147 Thu 20-Jun-13 23:32:50

You'd have thought so.

I was once given 3 sets of worksheets labelled high, medium and low ability.

But no clue who the actual groups were. And no notes anywhere. I did manage to find out by tactfullyish asking the class.

storynanny Thu 20-Jun-13 23:31:34

Kim, they will remember next time you have them! One of my secret aims on a days supply is...... To ensure the children have.......FUN!

Eyesunderarock Thu 20-Jun-13 23:30:56

You'd think that all schools would have worked this out though, that each class should have a supply file designed with the basics in it.
Why create problems for themselves?

kim147 Thu 20-Jun-13 23:30:13

Unless they've mysteriously got other jobs to do instead.

storynanny Thu 20-Jun-13 23:29:34

There is nearly always an excellent ta at key stage one, I always make friends with her! They know all about green red yellow dinners/cards etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now