To be a bit cheesed off with the attendance leaflet sent through

(34 Posts)
Morrigu Thu 20-Jun-13 21:39:07

I know everyone gets them and I'm probably taking it personally.

Ds's attendance was 92% - below satisfactory and just above poor according to the leaflet.

I really care about my son's education and even though I know he's only in first year of primary I understand these are the years the basis of his further life in education are set. Every single time he has been off has been because of his chest and asthma. I have backed up every time he has been off with a trip to the doctors and subsequent letter sent in with doctor seen, medications prescribed etc or the times he has been hospitalised the school was notified.

Just makes me feel like crap having a leaflet about why attendance is so important. I do know why it is important. I've been worried about his attendance all year and really don't need a reminder how 'every school day counts'

I'm over thinking things and being thin skinned aren't I?

OldBeanbagz Thu 20-Jun-13 22:25:33

kim147 my DS is heading that way. He's coming up to 5 years at Primary without a single day off. 3 years to go (he started in Nursery).

As for the letters i'd ignore them. It's wrong to penalise the children who have genuine on-going health problems which the school must surely be aware of.

xylem8 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:32:34

Our school rings up before sending out things like athis and says 'I am really sorry , we know little xylem has been ill, but the LEA says we have to send these silly letters out'
LEA happy, parents happy!!

Morrigu Thu 20-Jun-13 22:33:17

You what kim how is that even possible?

That's kind of shit kaster. I thought if you pronounced your condition before taking a job they can't hold it against you? Do they count that in absences?

dunkedbiscuits Thu 20-Jun-13 22:34:07

I'm curious what impact this has on the future? Does having a week off for D&V or chicken pox when they are 6 really have an impact?
I don't ever remember attendance being an issue and I was off a lot (hated school until I was 15). Surely it's whether or not the child is learning and progressing and not having unauthorised absences is the important thing?
I remember a girl in secondary school who was off every Friday as we had english and she really struggled to read. She's the type of student that needs to be focussed on surely not the ones who are off for genuine illness confirmed by a doctor?

50BalesOfHay Thu 20-Jun-13 22:48:14

I got one. gd had norovirus. He was off for 4 days. I Worked out how many days off would meet the 'minimum required' attendance level then did a FOI request for average sick days for staff, and their absence management policy. Turns out, staff average sick leave is higher than that allowed for pupils, and wouldn't trigger action. Chair of governors and I are still corresponding about it.

Morrigu Thu 20-Jun-13 23:16:11

I was a 70s child dunked and remember attendance being an issue. Maybe because I seemed to catch viruses like glandular fever, hospital with chicken pox and had bad bad tonsillitis. I don't think it impacted on my future as I was sent loads of workbooks home I had to do. There wasn't the huge emphasis there is now

That is brilliant 50. I hold my hat off to you.

Holliewantstobehot Fri 21-Jun-13 12:44:03

I too have asthma which was worse as a child. Had lots of chest infections and even bronchitis. Got very good grades at GCSE and A levels and went on to uni. Don't really see how much a child is going to learn if they are feeling ill and are at school as they are not going to be able to concentrate or take anything in. I usually get the dcs to do a bit of reading and spend a bit of time on mathletics when they are off ill just to keep their hand in but without tiring them out.

Norigau - totally feel for you both my dcs have been in hospital and on nebulisers. Both are also prone to tonsilitis although not bad enough to warrant having their tonsils out so this year between them they have had 2 chest infections and 3 bouts of tonsilitis. My ds managed to have tonsilitis and a chest infection at the same time so was very ill for over a week. I did also point out to the ht that when my ds returned to school once with his antibiotics the office forgot to give them to him, saying an 8 year old should remember to come and ask for them himself! I asked how could I send him in not being sure he would receive his inhalers/medication? I don't want them missing school but surely your health has to trump education?

50balesofhay - nice one!

ouryve Fri 21-Jun-13 12:53:48

I got one of those, a couple of months ago, inviting me to contact the EWO for advice, no less and threatening fines and wotnot. Well, I tried to contact her, but she was off sick for 2 weeks.

It is easy to be wound up by these letters and take them to ehart. DS1 goes through a cycle, about every 6 weeks, of coughing constantly for a few days, then having an upset stomach. There's naff all we can do about it, but after years of fobbing off, we do now, at least, have an appointment with a paediatrician about it, to see if we can find a cause. He also has ASD and ADHD and his behaviour becomes awful from the coughing and not sleeping, even before the puking or diarrhoea set in. He also has a history of school refusal, so I was quite upset by this letter, this time around because we haven't had a single purely behavioural day off, this academic year.

Anyhow, school had a word and told the EWO I wasn't the sort of parent they needed to be pursuing. I've heard no more from them.

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Fri 21-Jun-13 13:39:55

Bin it and don't give it another thought. Your son's health comes first. Attendance second.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now