To want to scream every time my husband scrapes his fork against his teeth

(25 Posts)
Korovaj Thu 20-Jun-13 19:48:48

Just that really, the noise of metal on teeth goes through me. I have asked him to stop doing it but he seems incapable of stopping.

And yes, I know there are more important things going on in the world but this is driving me mad!!!!!!!!!

cees Thu 20-Jun-13 19:49:58

Stab him with it would be my impulse grin

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Thu 20-Jun-13 19:51:21

Yuk, I'm very intolerant to things like that, tapping, whistling, humming etc the list is endless, I hate being hypersensitive and wish these things would go over my head but there are certain things you can't change, take his plate away!

DrHolmes Thu 20-Jun-13 19:51:35

yanbu!

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Thu 20-Jun-13 19:51:47

Ceres, that made me laugh

YANBU at all. I can't stand it, if you need to drag food off your fork use your lips!!

HoldensPhonies Thu 20-Jun-13 19:53:35

Well, it might mean that deep down you have some other annoyance with him about something more serious and can't find a way to bring it up. Its manifesting itself in an irrational hatred of something silly. If you raise it with him in a jokey manner he's more likely to take you seriously - we blokes have an inbuilt ability to ignore anything which sounds like a serious nag!
And have a think why you're getting so wound up by such a little thing

PiHigh Thu 20-Jun-13 19:56:11

YANBU. I give Dh the "I might stab you with that fork" look when he uses it to take a bit of pasta out of the pan to test and scrapes it on the pan. If he then scrapes it on his teeth I clench up.

Korovaj Thu 20-Jun-13 20:17:08

It certainly makes me feel a bit stabby!

Korovaj Thu 20-Jun-13 20:18:39

And thanks for the suggestion holdens, might try the jokey thing. I don't think it's a manifestation of a deep seated issue with him tho

Korovaj Thu 20-Jun-13 20:19:24

And thanks for the suggestion holdens, might try the jokey thing. I don't think it's a manifestation of a deep seated issue with him though because it annoys me if anybody does it!

burberryqueen Thu 20-Jun-13 20:19:51

if you let out a small scream every time he does it,he might stop.

Korovaj Thu 20-Jun-13 20:21:42

Or squirt him with a water pistol?
Scrape... Squirt....'bad husband'

BoomChicaBoom Thu 20-Jun-13 20:26:09

Oh my god, just reading your thread title made me have that awful shivery tingly feeling down my back. My dm does this and it drives me crazy. Get one of those mini blackboards and scrape your nails down it every time he does it. Oddly, this doesn't bother me but metal on teeth, bloody hell shock

burberryqueen Thu 20-Jun-13 20:27:42

i must admit it is one of the things i have nagged and nagged the poor children about.

MarmaladeTwatkins Thu 20-Jun-13 20:31:30

DH does it. He removes food from a fork by scraping it off with his teeth instead of using a lips/teeth combo.

It makes me feel like a coiled cobra, ready to attack. angry

BadRoly Thu 20-Jun-13 20:33:50

I cannot bear this! Or metal utensils in metal pans. I will ask dh once nicely. Then once a bit more curtly. Then leave the room. It really does make me feel that uncomfortable blush

MalenkyRusskyDrakonchik Thu 20-Jun-13 20:35:00

DH is getting over a cold.

Let's just say I feel your pain in a different way.

(I'm sure I sniff disgustingly too when I'm ill, but dammit, that's not the point! grin)

SanityClause Thu 20-Jun-13 20:35:28

If the food is hot, DH will sort of gasp it into his mouth. He also slurps his tea.

I feel that a jury would accept that it was justifiable, if one day I were to snap and murder him.

miffybun73 Thu 20-Jun-13 20:35:46

YANBU, I just can't stand it when people do that.

Gottalovecosta Thu 20-Jun-13 20:36:59

Even worse. My mum scrapes her fork against her dentures. It makes the most annoying plastic sort of sound and I want to tell her to open her bloody mouth.

My husband slurps his food too. I may well snap and murder him too. I've even spoken to him about it, and he keeps on eating like a pig.

dopeysheep Thu 20-Jun-13 20:57:46

Buy him a plastic fork?

LineRunner Thu 20-Jun-13 21:02:06

My dad blows his nose a minute into every meal.

I just scream inside.

Korovaj Thu 20-Jun-13 21:04:35

I feel so much better hearing that it isn't just me being tetchy!

Maybe I should encourage him to just eat with his hands...

gamerchick Thu 20-Jun-13 21:52:28

It's amazing the little things that get on your norks grin but it doesn't necessary mean there's some hidden issue that needs to be dealt with. Some people are just hyper sensitive to shit like that.

My husband licks his knife when he eats.. it really really instantly gets my hackles up. The scraping of the knife on the plate releases an involuntary LAAAAAAALALALALLALALAAA from me to cover it up. Just can't help it. But I love the bones off him otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now