Following on from worst au pair job in the world AIBU

(95 Posts)
Sleepyhoglet Thu 20-Jun-13 18:56:14

I think I may just have found another. Come on Mumsnetters. Lets send some emails to this ridiculous advert. £25 a week pocket money to do childcare for a 4 year old. £25!

http://www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/au-pair-4-months-summer-job-by-sea-woolacombe-to-look-after-4y-old-boy-help/1022523111

LilacPeony Thu 20-Jun-13 21:12:31

My husband likes to have some time off at the weekend so both of you will look after the children on a Saturday morning from 7am to 1pm.

Presumably she wants to lie in and shag during that time too, so why make out it's just the husband who doesn't want to be bothered by the kids until 1pm?

BatmanLovesAllan Thu 20-Jun-13 21:14:28

There is something about that Jersey lady that really rubs me up the wrong way.

bbcessex Thu 20-Jun-13 21:18:44

Is it just me, or does anyone else feel that it's very unwise to post some like:

"This is my child, his name is William. He leaves at school at 8.00am. everyday - sometimes his little brother is with him"..

I just feel that posting that much detail, along with a very clear photo of young children in their school uniforms is asking for trouble.. Although I accept that its unlikely they will be targeted, when posting for childcare myself I've been very very careful not to give any 'recognisable' details...

LilacPeony Thu 20-Jun-13 21:19:11

I interpreted the Jersey English lesson thing as "You had better be fluent in English already as if you think we are funding you to learn English then think again."

HoneyStepMummy Thu 20-Jun-13 21:28:23

Actually I'm more concerned about the young people advertising to be an au pair ( Please don't link any of their ads on here). Most of them are very nice looking, obviousley a bit naive, speak terrible English and are a bit desperate. Not only am I concerned that cheapos looking for almost free childcare will exploit them, but they are putting themselves at risk for sex trafficing.
I know a girl who runs an licensed au pair agency. Since the parents are paying the agency and have to abide by their guidelines they very seldom have problems with either the parents or au pairs.

InViennaWeWerePoetry Thu 20-Jun-13 21:35:15

The SAHMs wanting au pairs to work 35+ hours a week looking after their children really bug me. Why bother having children if you're just going to leave a badly paid au pair to play with them, take them places, put them to bed etc AND on weekends? confused

Mintyy Thu 20-Jun-13 21:40:52

The Jersey one works out at £3 per hour. I don't know if its just me, but I consider that to be just a leetel bit cheap from a couple who live in Jersey and have a pool.

Mintyy Thu 20-Jun-13 21:46:21

"Do people think au pair is just another name for cheap nanny/ slave?"

Yes, I think they do.

I honestly believe that some people think they can advertise for an au pair when what they actually want is a nanny and cleaner or gardener. I think they think they are being terribly clever to sidestep the expense of employing a qualified nanny, when what they are actually doing is exploiting people and only getting away with it because there isn't proper regulation of this sort of work.

I have many friends who employ au pairs. They work part time hours of less than 25 hours a week and get other benefits from living in London - usually learning English and having some fun away from home. As it should be.

expatinscotland Thu 20-Jun-13 22:12:56

That gumtree is allowing these ads is shameful.

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 20-Jun-13 22:20:12

The jersey one re schools, i think she means the au pairs won't be able to afford english language school as its too pricey, so will need to be fluent when they arrive.

Pocket money is a standard phrase in these ads tbh

InViennaWeWerePoetry Thu 20-Jun-13 22:32:00

The host family is meant to pay for language school aren't they?

Mintyy Thu 20-Jun-13 22:46:32

That is certainly how it used to be Vienna.

Aupair worked mornings or afternoons and spent the other half of the day at language classes.

I see that's all changed on Jersey and thereabouts.

IgnatiusSprat Thu 20-Jun-13 22:56:12

Are you experienced with luxury clothing? Used to looking after luxury clothing? Do you wish to work for a family dripping with luxury clothing? This is for you!

IgnatiusSprat Thu 20-Jun-13 23:02:19

Oh God you've got me addicted to Gum Tree now, I can tell this is going to replace Trip Adviser in my obsessive internetting....

Is this legal? £80 p/w? Seems crazy!

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 20-Jun-13 23:04:54

Vienna, I've had au pairs for several years. None of them have ever expected it, no agency has ever suggested it and none of mine have ever mentioned any of the others having it paid for. Where we are it can be £500 per term, so it may be that this changed as the costs went up?

My aps have told some awful stories about other aps' jobs here - one girl was working for pilots and at 18 after only 3 weeks I'm the uk she was expected to look after 3 kids under 6 for 48 hours while their parents were away shock

WouldBeHarrietVane Thu 20-Jun-13 23:08:13

Sprat, any live in position like this is usually exempt from national minimum wage, the logic being that the free accommodation value makes up for the salary, I think.

IgnatiusSprat Thu 20-Jun-13 23:10:33

Bit creepy this one...

I cannot imagine anyone having the gall to offer this sort of crap money then saying 'You have your own toilet.' Some of these ads... Jeeze. There's one on there asking people to work 60+ hours a week for £250 p/w. Er, no thanks!

IgnatiusSprat Thu 20-Jun-13 23:13:06

"Pocket money" of 80 p/w!!!!

Sorry, I'll shut up now confused I had no idea that people were allowed to do stuff like this. It's shite

Yamyoid Thu 20-Jun-13 23:13:07

The Jersey dad looks like a character from The League of Gentlemen.

Yamyoid Thu 20-Jun-13 23:19:17

Ignatius, that one is creepy.
How many times they mention appearance and nothing about the children. Or maybe the dogs are the children!
And terrible grammar grin

I've just emailed the Jersey fuckers and called them some choice names.

Cunts.

Yamyoid Thu 20-Jun-13 23:23:44

Hahaha grin laurie!
Some awful people in the world just out to take advantage of others less fortunate sad

foreverondiet Thu 20-Jun-13 23:30:51

A good rule of thumb about the "wages" is that the accommodation food and having no bills is worth about £100 - £150 a week.

So say £120 + £80 "wages" = £200. Say £7 - £7.50 is reasonable for someone not very experienced.... so around 25-28 hours a week would be reasonable.

A live in job for 50 hours a week on that basis would be (£7 x 50) - 125 so around £225 cash.

The £80 for 50 hour looking after 2 year old is £4 an hour and hence unreasonable.

Wereonourway Thu 20-Jun-13 23:34:59

laurie "jersey fuckers"

I've just pissed my pants at that, I missed the ad, it had disappeared when I clicked link.

Also agree luxury clothing family will be nuts.

I have been a live in nanny and always loved the family I worked for, knew I was lucky etc but boy I realise it now after reading these beauts!

Whippetwarmer Thu 20-Jun-13 23:50:41

I can still see the Jersey fuckers link when I click on it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now