Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Jeremy Forrest verdict - aibu to be confused?

(1000 Posts)
noddyboulder Thu 20-Jun-13 14:54:45

Yep, I don't think even his own parents could deny he's a massive, hideous scumbag with no impulse control - but how can he have been found guilty of abduction when the girl he had an affair with said it was her idea to go to France and she went willingly?

Can somebody legal shed some light?

hamilton75 Thu 20-Jun-13 18:05:17

I'm amazed you can be confused.

She was a minor and as such not capable of consenting. He was her teacher and it is a gross breach of trust.

Anyone idiot can see why he's been found guilty.

AvonCallingBarksdale Thu 20-Jun-13 18:05:18

Why is this in any way confusing? confused
1) He was a teacher, therefore in a position of trust
2) She was 14 when the relationship started, ie a child
3) They had sex when she was 15, so still under the age of consent in this country.
4) It's not unusual for people who have been groomed in this way to try and protect their abuser, sadly.

FFS, you do not take advantage of your position.

LilacPeony Thu 20-Jun-13 18:08:02

There is a horrible attitude in this country that girls are fair game if they come on to you regardless of their age or emotional state.

I agree with this.

corlan Thu 20-Jun-13 18:09:22

I've worked with secondary age children for 10 years.

I have yet to meet a 15 year old that a half intelligent adult couldn't manipulate.

lougle Thu 20-Jun-13 18:10:41

"He wouldn't have been classed as in a position of trust . He wasn't then her teacher on a school trip , for example"

The laws on 'Position of Trust' only allow for a charge when the pupil is aged 16 or 17 link because that is when a child is over the age of consent, but because of the nature of the relationship, the power balance is considered to be tipped too far in the direction of the person in a position of trust.

thebody Thu 20-Jun-13 18:11:56

He couldn't help himself and it was the child doing the running. He was helpless!!!!

Hope he gets what he deserves in prison.

Innacorner Thu 20-Jun-13 18:13:24

The only thing I'm confused about is why he wasn't also charged with sex with a minor. They both admitted in court to having a sexual relationship in the UK before they left for France.

bassingtonffrench Thu 20-Jun-13 18:16:17

an ex-boyfriend of mine's mum and dad were once pupil and teacher. They married when she left school. he was ten years older than her. he stayed at the school, she had two kids, still married as far as I know.

it does happen

hackmum Thu 20-Jun-13 18:19:39

Innacorner: "The only thing I'm confused about is why he wasn't also charged with sex with a minor."

Me too. If they had charged him with that he would have had to plead guilty, and they could have saved the cost of a trial. Or they could have charged him with both, I suppose, but odd just to charge him with abduction.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 20-Jun-13 18:20:22

Often happens bossing

A friend of mines parents were pupil and teacher,however nothing happened until she left though "I always thought he was a bit of a tosser when I was actually there to be honest"

A teacher at the school I went to had a custodial sentence after a long running affair with a pupil. No proof of it before she was 16 though it was well known amongst the pupils are least that it had started in some capacity when she was 14. She was a few years older than me,it was one of her friends who eventually told. They are now married with children.

AnyFucker Thu 20-Jun-13 18:26:12

Have missed the news today

Has there been a verdict/sentencing ?

Greythorne Thu 20-Jun-13 18:31:39

Guilty
Sentencing later

RikeBider Thu 20-Jun-13 18:33:14

Again though, just because a relationship turns out to be lengthy or involves having children, it doesn't "prove" that it isn't abusive/manipulative or there isn't a power imbalance.

FeegleFion Thu 20-Jun-13 18:33:30

Bassington - it really shouldn't fucking happen! That's the point!

AnyFucker Thu 20-Jun-13 18:36:26

Thanks grey...are we starting a sweep on how pathetic the sentence is ?

thebody Thu 20-Jun-13 18:39:29

What middle aged man falls in love with a 15 year old girl.

Oh yes one unable to establish a normal relationship with a woman. One who needs worshipping.

Manipulative looser.

If he was a decent bloke he wouldn't even give a child like this a sexual thought.

Innacorner Thu 20-Jun-13 18:39:36

hackmum I would have been disappointed if he'd only been done with USI and not abduction, suspect the abduction is the greater offence in sentencing terms.

noddyboulder Thu 20-Jun-13 18:41:31

Thanks everyone - sorry, I have been busy with clubs and should know better than to start a thread and then bugger off!

I am not very wise to legal matters and was just confused as abduction sounds like bundling someone into a car... as I said, in no way am I suggesting that it doesn't matter as she somehow 'asked for it' - she didn't know what she was doing, and he should have known far, far better, especially as he knew her background and that she was vulnerable. What with all the other women he shagged while married, I think his impulse control system is absent... horrible man, anyway.

Some of the media reporting has been absolutely vile "8 times a night!!!" and all that. Poor girl.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 20-Jun-13 18:41:56

Rike - I wasn't sharing my second anecdote in a "that makes it all ok" way.

I find it very creepy they've ended up married after he was at least grooming her from the age of 14. It transpired that this bloke was "advised" to leave the school he was at before mine because it was noted he was showing an unhealthy interest in his female pupils and if he didn't leave they would have to do something about it. So despite knowing there was an issue they merrily waved him off to the school I attended where he showed more than just an interest. Vile.

flippinada Thu 20-Jun-13 18:44:19

I wouldn't be surprised if he got a risible sentence but maybe, just maybe, he won't.

A teacher (at the same school hmm was sentenced to 7 years for grooming two pupils. From the BBC News Report:

"In 2009, supply teacher Robert Healy, then aged 27, was jailed for seven years at Lewes Crown Court after grooming two Bishop Bell pupils on the social networking site Bebo."

Innacorner Thu 20-Jun-13 18:46:06

I'm sick of men seeing girls as their possessions to do what they want with, and then to claim "but she wanted it too" when they get caught. This abduction happened roughly around the time that the Saville abuse was exposed, and those men in Rochdale (?) were convicted re the child prostitution case - in each of those three cases idiots are or have said the girls were willing (including some police in the Rochdale case). They were CHILDREN FFS

thebody Thu 20-Jun-13 18:48:49

Exactly. Decent adults protect children. End of.

Pagedown Thu 20-Jun-13 18:50:51

Fucksake. Why does "she is a minor and not able to give valid consent" even have to be explained to people?

cakebaby Thu 20-Jun-13 18:53:38

USI NO L

Innacorner Thu 20-Jun-13 18:57:42

cakebaby ???

This thread is not accepting new messages.