to think that most women would rather have a girl/girls than a boy/boys?

(444 Posts)
jellysandwich Thu 20-Jun-13 14:17:01

I have read so many posts with pregnant mothers who are upset that they are having a ds and in real life I find that mothers who have all boys or boys first, tend to denigrate them to mums of girls and put their daughters on pedestals. Mums of girls tend to not mind having no boys whereas all boy mums seem to feel sad that they have only boys. I have never come across any women who only wanted boy(s).

Am I right in thinking that most women want to have girls and wouldn't mind having all girls if they have more than one child, whereas boys are almost always seen as second best and not the desired choice of most women?

Really? Mums of boys denigrate them to mums of girls? What toss.

5madthings Thu 20-Jun-13 14:29:09

Yabu I have four boys and was perfectly happy with that, overjoyed in fact as o wanted four children and wasn't bothered about gender.

My fifth was a bonus baby and is a girl, she is delightful like her brothers but her gender is irrelevant tbh and we would have been just as happy with a fifth boy, in fact we had boys name picked out etc and having a girl was a bit of a shock tbh.

amothersplaceisinthewrong Thu 20-Jun-13 14:29:45

I had a boy first and then a girl. I am glad to have some female company in the house, would not really have wanted to live in an all male household!

badguider Thu 20-Jun-13 14:29:53

My first is a boy and I am more than happy. If he follows mine and DHs outdoorsy/sporty interests then he will face less social pressure than a girl would if she followed our interests.
I am really not very girly at all and would struggle if I had a girl who wanted to be very prissy about dresses/shoes/makeup...

allmycats Thu 20-Jun-13 14:31:05

What a load of bollocks !!!

themonsteratemyspacebar Thu 20-Jun-13 14:31:07

Not in my opinion! I haven't had children yet but if im lucky enough to, i want hopefully only boys. My DP is one of 3 boys so fingers crossed!

(Yeah yeah i know, i have girl ishoos grin)

Pancakeflipper Thu 20-Jun-13 14:31:22

I was petrified that my PFB might be a girl.
I am just a little scared of what to do with girls. I think it is due to the relationship with my own mother.

I have DS1 and DS2. So problem solved.

I don't wish for daughters. Though I do wonder if my boys will do clothes shopping cinema stuff when teens and beyond.

And I am dreading recognising myself as the bitch MIL from hell on MN .

5madthings Thu 20-Jun-13 14:32:42

pancake is as very worried about having a girl as well! Its been fine so far, she is only 2.5tho!

chickenliversfortea Thu 20-Jun-13 14:33:11

YABU. My circle of friends all wanted boys. Mostly because we worked with children and thought boys were easier.

MrsLyman Thu 20-Jun-13 14:33:24

YABtotallyU I have two boys and I love it!

Occassionally I wonder what it might be like to have a daughter, but it's definitely just a curiousity based feeling rather than a longing because I feel hard done by.

Thurlow Thu 20-Jun-13 14:33:52

I imagined having boys. I was never one of those women who wanted to have a girl. Mostly I think this was because I was a tomboy when I was younger and have absolutely no concept of ballet, plaits, nice dresses, all the ridiculously stereotypical 'girly' things.

Now I have a DD and I've realised what an idiotic thing it is to have a preconceived idea what your child will be like because of their gender. (I'll happily say idiotic because I thought it myself).

Fenton Thu 20-Jun-13 14:33:55

Nonsense.

I don't know anyone who has been in the least bit bothered about the sex of their baby or next baby.

I have two boys and would happily have another two or more if I could. I would be equally happy to have girls.

LingDiLong Thu 20-Jun-13 14:34:05

YABU, not my experience of people with all girls or all boys at all! You must know some very strange folk. Most people I know are happy with whatever combination they have...the only person I know who seemed genuinely upset at having the 'wrong' sex was a close friend who's first child was a girl and she wanted a boy.

It was disappointing finding out the sex but was still grateful to be having a healthy baby and my main worry was that we wouldn't be close because he wasn't a girl and I was going to be a single mum.

I was very wrong grin

Asteria Thu 20-Jun-13 14:34:53

YABU

I have a boy and always dreamt of having a feral muddy herd of them after nannying for a family of 4 boys when I was younger. I recently acquired a stepson and stepdaughter and, although I love them both dearly, I have certainly found him far easier to bond with than her (which I am sure will outrage some MNers!).
Rather interestingly and sadly, my DH told me that his ex was devastated when she found out that their second child was a boy and it is very clear that she adores her DD to the point of her being on a pedestal and the two of them are often rather cruel to DS - he is the scapegoat for everything in their house. Perhaps that is why I have am so drawn to the gorgeous little chap?

SantanaLopez Thu 20-Jun-13 14:35:41

Nonsense, look at all the mummy's boys that exist!

NoelHeadbands Thu 20-Jun-13 14:36:12

I have boy, girl, boy and genuinely never cared what we got either way grin

The only twinge of slight sadness that I ever get, is that my daughter doesn't have a sister (I am close to both of mine). But that's sadness on her behalf, and I don't think she's fussed anyway.

Bragadocia Thu 20-Jun-13 14:36:25

I have a gorgeous three year old boy. Should we have another, I simply can't imagine having a girl.

However I do have a troubled relationship with my (now estranged) mother; it's a relief not to have the baggage from that in my own little family.

Shellywelly1973 Thu 20-Jun-13 14:36:43

Yabu!

One of the daftest threads on MN for ages!!

danielswifetobe Thu 20-Jun-13 14:37:19

In 4 weeks ( ish) I'll be mum to DS 5 and a lovely new baby boy and I couldnt be happier. Wouldnt change it for the world.

SaskiaRembrandtVampireHunter Thu 20-Jun-13 14:38:16

YABU. I was beyond delighted when DS1 was born, and adored him so much that when I was expecting DS2 I hoped for another boy just like him. Of course, DS2 isn't anything like his big brother, but he is wonderful in his way. That's because children are unique individuals and their gender is irrelevant.

PickleSarnie Thu 20-Jun-13 14:38:29

YABU and ridiculous and generalising wildly.

I have two boys and am utterly chuffed with that. Having a girl would scare me a little and have absolutely no desire whatsoever to try for one.

ilovexmastime Thu 20-Jun-13 14:38:38

YABU. Obviously!

Chandon Thu 20-Jun-13 14:40:27

Don't think you are right.

As a mum of boys, I tend to see a lot more of boys' mums in my life ( at sports events, schools etc.).

I can't say I ever picked up on an anti-boy sentiment!

MN has been a bit of an eye opener for me in that respect.

I absolutely love being a mum of boys, I love it. The mother-son relationship is often a very good one, IMO.

Eskino Thu 20-Jun-13 14:40:36

YABU

Sweeping generalisation! Other ones I've heard are

Boys love their mums too much
Bossy women have boys
Boys will always want to climb into your lap, girls will want to be off it as soon as possible.
Boys belong to mummy, girls belong to Daddy.

(I have 3 boys and 1 girl)
Its all Bonkers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now