Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Whats the stupidest argument with a company you have had.

(166 Posts)
MNEdBlackpoolWiganandSalford Thu 20-Jun-13 12:05:35

I have had a letter from one dated yesterday, arriving in today's post telling me I had to contact them by LAST Friday in order for the agreement still to stand.

I phoned them this morning and they were insistent the agreement could no longer stand because I did not contact them by last Friday hmm
He was completely sure it was my fault and there was no room for movement.

LadyFlumpalot Thu 20-Jun-13 14:11:19

The automated message I got when I phoned TalkTalk to report that our Internet is down.

"We are aware that a number of our customers are unable to access the Internet at present. For further instructions, please visit our website."

Then the line went dead.

yoshipoppet Thu 20-Jun-13 14:20:29

These are brilliantsmile
My best one was British Gas threatening us with going to court if we didn't pay our bill. This went on for months. But we had never been connected to the gas main, at any point.

PiHigh Thu 20-Jun-13 14:22:36

Mortgage Company. Rate had gone up (was a stepped fixed rate) but the letter they'd sent showed the same payment as we were currently paying. I knew it was wrong because the original offer letter from the previous year had listed the payment for each tier of the fixed rate.

Me on phone to them: "I think there's been a mistake, my interest rate has gone up but my payment hasn't. My original paperwork says it should be £x not £y."
Her: "No, it's fine, they'll have calculated it"
hmm
Me: "No, if the interest rate has increased, the payment must also go up. It's detailed on my original paperwork to go up this year."
Her: "I'm sure the paperwork is right."
Me: "But the paperwork says two different things. The original is correct and says the payment will increase but the recent letter is incorrectly stating my current lower payment"
Her: "Yes, yes, it'll be right."
Me: hmm "No, they can't both be right, they have different payment amounts"
Her: "It's all done on computer. It must be right."
Me: "They can't both be right. My interest rate has gone up and so my payment should have gone up to £x, but you're still only taking £y from my account."
Her: "Yes, ok, that'll be right to take £y"
Me: "No, no it's not. Can you explain how my payment stays the same even if the interest rate goes up?"
Her: "The computer works it out. They use the interest rate to work out the payment."
Me: "Yes, so if the interest rate changes, surely the payment must change?"
Her: "Um...it's just done by the computer."
Me: "I'm sure it's wrong."
Her: "I'll pass it to another team and get them to look into it."

9am the next day I get a call from the other team. "Hello, we made a mistake calculating your mortgage payment. Thanks for letting us know. It will be £x. We'll send a letter to confirm it."

Still have no idea how their mistake really happened and it's not happened again (the next step in the fixed rate went through properly)

Oh yes. British gas were laying a pipe but found a pipe under our porch which they said was dangerous and an emergency to the extent that they MUST move it the next day.

They gave me a number to ring to 'order the work', though they informed me it would be done free of charge.

I phoned them up the day after they had done the work and they agreed that the work needed doing, but not that it had been done.

I insisted, but they also insisted that they had to dig up my garden AGAIN. I tried to then undo the call, but couldn't because it was an 'emergency'.

So some people came round and re-dug my garden to confirm the pipe was where it should be and then they covered up the whole hmm

Trying to cancel my Grandad's Virgin tv subscription after his death. Rang them to explain but you've guessed it: they need to speak to the named bill payer. After several phonecalls we sent them the death certificate as proo,f but they still continued to send letters addressed to him and ring asking to speak to him for about 6 months after. hmm

primallass Spain Thu 20-Jun-13 14:28:10

I think that Virgin have been named and shamed for that on Facebook and Twitter recently.

Orange did that to my mum. We sent a death certificate but they claimed to have not received it, though it was recorded delivery.

After a year, they agreed to only charge my mum for the first 6 months as a gesture of goodwill hmm.

My DM rang Sky tv up to change tv and internet to her name after my DDad died. She got the usual "we can only speak to the account holder" bit and was on for about 20 minutes with the person on the end of the phone getting more and more ridiculous. DM finally flipped when she was asked to have a go at guessing DDad's password!

In the end she hung up and redialled and was put through to the berevement department straight away.

PragmaticWench Thu 20-Jun-13 14:39:10

When I moved in with DH he changed one of his bank accounts to a joint account for the two of us, all paperwork was done in branch, no problem. I phone up to do some banking and was told I had 'failed security'. Now they hadn't set up any security with me in branch, which I explained on the phone, but apparently I was supposed to know his security answers from when the account was just in his name. Santander (yes, I'm naming you twonks!) argued with me for ages, finally stating that whenever I wanted to speak with them I must have DH call them first to 'allow' me access to my money.

Needless to say we went into the branch and closed the account.

HMRC acknowledging I have 3 children and correctly naming them then saying I am not eligible for tax credits because I have no children. They couldn't except that their computer was wrong, even though the names where there in big letters in front of their faces.

MNEdBlackpoolWiganandSalford Thu 20-Jun-13 15:12:39

I have just had HMRC say I have registered and approved childcare (i don't) but then in the next sentence I have no registered and approved childcare costs.

NoRainNoRainbow Thu 20-Jun-13 15:18:49

British Gas, called centre based in Leeds I think. This was march this year.

I live in north west surrey, and work in central London on a transport network.

Me: Hi I'm just calling up to see why my bills so high
Them: because it's been the coldest winter of all time (first hmm)
Me: ok but could you break it down for me because is does seem really high for only two people.
Them: No, I can't, I've just told you it's been the COLDEST WINTER OF ALL TIME that's why. (Shouted this at me)
Me: ummm ok but it's not that cold anymore....
Them: it's snowing now, there's a foot of snow outside
Me: not where I am
Them: yes it is, what has it been nice and sunny where you are for the whole winter when it's been THE COLDEST WINTER OF ALL TIME EVERYWHERE ELSE (sarcastic shouting now)
Me: No, just right now it's not snowing
Them: yes it is London was ground to a standstill all day yesterday because of the snow
Me: ummm no it wasn't
Them: yes it was
Me: No it wasn't, I'm quite sure of that
Them: oh was it nice and sunny there as well, according to you. (More sarcasm with a little laugh at the end)
Me: no, I know it wasn't snowing and it wasn't ground to a halt, as I work there and it's my job to know

Then she hung up.

Made me laugh grin I think she was having a bad day!

Ipp3 Thu 20-Jun-13 15:23:04

An argument with nationwide when they could not find my flat on their address finder. The woman insisted that the only solution was to address my flat '1' even though that was my neighbours flat (I was gf) . Despite repeatedly stating that this would mean my mail, with all my financial details, would be delivered to my neighbour she would not budge. I had to complain to hq to get it changed!

Wibblypiglikesbananas Thu 20-Jun-13 15:25:01

I have two:

1) Called HSBC to cancel my deceased grandfather's bank cards. Got someone in a call centre who wouldn't speak to me as I wasn't the account holder. I repeatedly told them he'd recently died. She didn't understand me. It was hideous. The Post Office, incidentally, were amazing.

2) Bought a new VW. Bought a new iPod the same day. The two were not compatible, despite the VW manual saying they were (had been written incorrectly, it turned out). Ended up with VW paying for an older model of iPod that we could use in the car after a huge argument where they tried to say it wasn't their fault they couldn't keep up with fast changing technology. I took that point, but not that fact their manual was incorrect, hence the compromise.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Thu 20-Jun-13 15:28:53

Oh yeah, just remembered another one.

When the riots in London happened 2 summers back, Sainsburys blamed them for the fact that all the frozen goods in our delivery were defrosted.

I asked for a redelivery and got a snooty woman in a call centre in Edinburgh telling me that that wouldn't be possible for a couple of days due to the riots down my road. Except that we were the other side of the city and at least 15 miles from the nearest riot.

She would not be convinced - tongue in cheek, even offered to Skype her so she could see for herself that my leafy SW London street was just the same as always. Again, would not be convinced.

Called the AA to find out why my recovery premium had increased by £50. The rather helpful advisor told me it was because I was now eligible for the "free" member benefits as I'd been with them a year. After a 30 minute call in which he attempted to explain, in the most patronising voice possible, how they were free when I was paying £50 for them, I hung up and went with the RAC. The conversation went like this...

Him: you are getting a lot of benefits for free.
Me: they're not free I'm paying £50.
Him: no they are free.
Me: why is the new member price so much lower?
Him: as they don't get any free benefits.
Me: please stop saying they're free, they're not free.
Him: I think you are misunderstanding me, we are offering you a lot of extra benefits, all for free.
Me: <barely repressed rage> they're £50, £50 is not free.

CandidaDoyle Thu 20-Jun-13 15:43:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CandidaDoyle Thu 20-Jun-13 15:55:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EldritchCleavage Thu 20-Jun-13 15:57:46

My mother:- stand up row in Post Office after being told she couldn't post a parcel to Lesotho as there was no such country. She lost, and had to trek into town to the main Post Office to send it from there. And yes, she did complain.

NorbertDentressangle Thu 20-Jun-13 16:10:29

Where I used to work we sent a parcel to a customer that got lost in the post. I filled in a Royal Mail compensation form to claim back the cost of the goods we'd sent.

A week later the Royal Mail wrote to us to say that they couldn't process our claim because our address didn't exist....er, that'll be the address they WROTE to us at then. hmm

Even when I phoned them up and pointed this out the person I spoke to still couldn't see how ridiculous it was.

GemmaTeller Thu 20-Jun-13 16:12:55

BT

I rang to cancel my contract..

BT - 'are you going with another provider?'
Me - 'thats not your concern, please cancel my contract'

BT - 'not until you tell me which provider you're going with and how much they have quoted you'
Me- 'thats not your concern, please cancel my contract'

BT - 'not until you tell me which provider you're going with and how much they have quoted you'
ME - 'please cancel my contract'

BT - 'not until...
ME - 'cancel my contract, cancel my contract, cancel my contract....

and on it went for a good 5 minutes until DH took the phone off me and said 'what is your problem, my wife has every right to ring and cancel this contract'

BT - I'm sorry sir, we can only speak to the account holder.
Me - I want to cancel my contract
BT - Not until you...

Me - aaaaarrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phineyj Thu 20-Jun-13 16:15:44

We moved from one house to another on the same street. Virgin Media would not let us change address, oh no. We had to close our account and set up a new one hmm. For weeks we got simultaneous letters and/or phonecalls saying they welcomed us and were sorry we were leaving and that we owed money on the old account and had overpaid on the new one. Then the installation guy cut the wire too short to reach our house and stormed off in a huff, leaving his spade and a reel of about 100ft of cable behind hmm.

I also lived in a flat once in a converted warehouse and had many debates with utility suppliers who said I couldn't possibly be living in it as it was a warehouse.

Also had a run in with HMRC as in the course of changing my address with them, they managed to change it to a weird combination of the old and new address that did not actually exist and then told me I had got my address wrong!

GemmaTeller Thu 20-Jun-13 16:17:46

Budget car insurance - I got a letter saying my premium had increased by £30 a month, when I rang to ask why, I was told it was because they had noticed I hadn't got 'commute for work' on my policy.

'mmm, thats because I work from home and don't need the car to get from my bedroom to the spare room'.

Phineyj Thu 20-Jun-13 16:18:06

eldritch grin our Post Office is inside a Smiths - I'd have been tempted to get an atlas off the shelf to show them!

Went on the computer at work and the e-mail programme had vanished. Rang the IT department, and after waiting hours for them to ring back because they were "exceptionally busy", they said they had installed a completely new e-mail programme across the whole company, and explained how to access it.

After accessing it, guess what was in the inbox - an e-mail, dated after the changeover, explaining how to access the e-mail.

IT couldn't see the problem. I wonder why they were "exceptionally busy" that day... hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now