Whats the stupidest argument with a company you have had.

(166 Posts)
MNEdBlackpoolWiganandSalford Thu 20-Jun-13 12:05:35

I have had a letter from one dated yesterday, arriving in today's post telling me I had to contact them by LAST Friday in order for the agreement still to stand.

I phoned them this morning and they were insistent the agreement could no longer stand because I did not contact them by last Friday hmm
He was completely sure it was my fault and there was no room for movement.

SybilRamkin Thu 20-Jun-13 12:28:24

About the spelling of my name! The caller from BT's overseas call-centre was totally insistent that my name was not spelled the way I have been spelling it all my life, apparently that way is wrong and his way was much better and correct. hmm

ha! how silly grin

do they really not see how wrong that is? maybe they expect people not to question it? confused

i dont have one of my own to add unfortunately. wish i did though!

plainjaney Thu 20-Jun-13 12:37:00

After my Dad died I had to send off his death certificate to various places. Can't think who it was now, possibly NatWest but we had a letter back addressed to my Dad thanking him for sending his death certificate.

I did have a moan at them at the time, fortunately it amused us (and my Dad would have found it hilarious) but it could have been distressing for someone else.

beecrazy Thu 20-Jun-13 12:45:35

When my Mum died we tried to cancel and get a refund on her car insurance. They insisted they had to speak to her (yes, Co-op insurance that was you) eventually agreeing that that was not possible then sent the refund cheque to Mum's bank account, closed due to probate. I think we made 20+ phone calls and wrote 7 or 8 letters.

After my mum died I had trouble cancelling her cable TV. Despite telling them she'd died, they'd had the equipment back etc, paid all bills, they still kept going on about the monthly rental. During our last (of many!) call they informed me they'd be taking her to court if payment was not forthcoming. I told them to go ahead. Never heard another word ha ha!

moustachio Thu 20-Jun-13 12:58:35

loads.

Holiday Inn express thinking it was okay that a drunk randomer was able to get in our room during the night and piss everywhere...

Nuby UK's facebook people. Sexism and discrimination is fine obviously...

DoJo Thu 20-Jun-13 13:04:23

I once had a long argument with a mortgage company about the fact that the term 'in arrears' has meaning regardless of whether they choose to use it or not. She swore blind that she couldn't tell me whether payments were in advance or in arrears because 'that's not how we describe it'. Ground my gears no end...

primallass Thu 20-Jun-13 13:14:05

We had insurance with Admiral and got a renewal letter through. OH's speeding points were now no longer valid (over 5 years) and I assumed the renewal had taken that into account.

I did a 'dummy' quote online, which was much less than our renewal quote, so I phoned them.

The bloke on the phone kept telling me that I had to tell the online system that OH's points were still valid to get a proper comparison - so LIE to the system about the dates. He was unbelievable. This went on for ages.

FrenchRuby Thu 20-Jun-13 13:16:06

Yodel telling me my road was inaccessible so they wouldn't deliver my parcel.... I lived on a busy main road with side parking and turn around room.

When our building society took 10k from our joint account in error and then wouldn't let me use the account whilst they sorted it out as I was overdrawn. Of course I was fucking overdrawn, they debited 10k from it.....their answer was that their system doesnt know that.

Fucking goons......they did send me a massive bunch of flowers to apologise though!

I had to get my passport changed to my new surname and this had to be done before I got married in order for me to be able to go on the honeymoon.

This was all fine with the passport office and it arrived a week before I was wed, but the courier wouldn't give the damn thing to me because I could not show any ID in the name the passport was in hmm

And when I phoned the passport office they said that it wasn't their problem.......

We are very rural and can only get an internet connection via satellite. The internet often goes down for several days, but we should not be charged for these periods. However, the internet provider will only accept notification that the connection is down by email.

Beyond stupid.

LadyBryan Thu 20-Jun-13 13:30:35

HMRC - they sent me our tax certificates and somehow my DOB was wrong - not just a figure transposed but everything wrong.

I checked the copy of the form I'd filled in and, of course, I'd put my DOB correctly.

So I rang up and go through all the security questions. One of which is DOB - so I give my actual date of birth and I fail the security procedure. of course I say "well actually I know whats happened" but before I could finish he says "I have to terminate this call" and hung up.

So I call back and give the incorrect DOB. So of course I pass all security information and then proceed to try and chance DOB. Then they accuse me of accessing an account by fraudulent means and hang up again

Utterly ridiculous

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LadyBryan, this happened to me with Barclays, they had my date of birth down as 01/01/1900 and I failed security trying to correct it.

Gracelo Thu 20-Jun-13 13:53:07

Futon company - if Dundee is in the Highlands&Islands or not. They wanted to charge me H&I delivery fees. I emailed them a link with a map of Scotland but they kept insisting it was H&I hmm

bigbluebus Thu 20-Jun-13 13:57:06

Trying to report a fault on my landline to BT. Couldn't get a dialling tone on phone as the phone kept showing that it was 'in use' even though no-one was using it and the handsets were in place. BT wouldn't take a fault report as they couldn't test the line because the line was 'in use'. Kept telling me to vacate the line and try again.........but that was the bloody fault!!!!

vaillant. awful boiler, awful customer service. they're so bad i'm getting a different boiler now.

I think it was BT that was insistant that my email address was wrong. The woman I was speaking to kept insisting that I must be "mis-reading" it as it shouldn't have an extra dot in it. It's in the format XXX @ XXX . XXX . com

"I'm not "reading" it from anywhere, I've memorised it, and the number of times I've told you it, you've probably memorised it too!"

Took nearly 15 minutes to get her to type the damn thing in correctly, and lo and behold the computer could then accept it! Fucking idiot.

Spaghettio Thu 20-Jun-13 13:59:30

Waiting in all morning for a virgin media person to come and install our phone and broadband. When they don't arrive, I call them from my mobile and they say it's now an afternoon slot as the engineer is running late.

So I wait in all afternoon as well (so all day then) and still no engineer. I call them again and they tell me that they called and left a message for me. I disagree with them, and while I do, the engineer turns up (at 19.30 - not between 8am and 6pm as promised).

When he finally leaves at 20.30 - I pick up my new phone and find.....

Yep, you guessed it. A message from virgin media saying that they are running late.

They left a message on the landline that they hadn't connected yet. shock

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Thu 20-Jun-13 13:59:47

A takeaway delivery driver ringing me to insist that my address didn't exist because he couldn't find my house number and had driven round the block countless times looking for it. I would have abandoned it entirely after 5 minutes of him shouting at me had I not ordered it online and paid by card in advance! Eventually I opened the front door to look for him and the dozy git was sitting in his car outside my house, still shouting down the phone that I must have my house number wrong. hmm

wineoclocktimeyet Thu 20-Jun-13 14:05:07

Poor MIL trying to cancel FIL from car insurance because he died recently to be told by 3 different people (including a Manager) that they could only speak to the policyholder himself - apparently being dead was not a valid excuse despite the fact she was a joint policy holder.

If it hadnt been t so upsetting for her, it would actually have be funny.

primallass Thu 20-Jun-13 14:10:56

And another one.

While I was home for Christmas, Clydesdale bank said I had withdrawn money from the cash machine at my university branch, 60 miles away (on Christmas Eve, so I know I wasn't there). I went in to sort it out when term started and they told me that the amount (£30 maybe) was under their threshold for refunding mistakes! So basically that they could steal my f-ing money shock

I caused a scene and got it back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now