...to wonder what kind of loon powders her minge?

(188 Posts)
badbride Wed 19-Jun-13 07:48:00

So the "using talc on your nether regions increases your ovarian cancer risk" story is doing the rounds in the media again. (Daily Mail)

There's an argument to be had about how these risks are being communicated in the media. That's not my point. My point is that I'm flabbergasted by the claim that 40% of women feel it necessary to dust their bits with talc on a regular basis.

Is this really true? If so, WHY???? The thought of doing this never even occurred to me. Are these women mad, or am I just a manky old bint?

Apologies for the Daily Mail link. For the sake of balance, here's Cancer Research UK's take on the topic.

After thinking the corn flour (not talc) on the minge and a pouf of dust as you snap your knickers back in place was a good idea. Seeing I was heading to exercise and we live 5 miles form the sun. Don't do it!
I happily went off, did Zumba, came back and wondered what that was on my bum! Turns out the cloud will permeate the knickers and black exercise leggings, I looked like I had sat on something blush no one said anything at the studio grin I wonder if they knew?

SunshineBossaNova Sun 23-Jun-13 15:48:09

That makes a lot of sense mad.

thismumismad Sun 23-Jun-13 14:29:48

From what I can remember, I will do some research in a bit but wasn't the talc that was found on cancerous ovaries from powdered gloves of the technicians who were testing the samples.

valiumredhead Sun 23-Jun-13 13:33:57

Snooter-be grateful it was just deodorant <scarred for life >

SunshineBossaNova Sun 23-Jun-13 13:20:53

Arf at lily-of-the-valley flavoured cocaine Espresso.

Foof spray? shock

snooter Sun 23-Jun-13 12:12:14

I found a little spray can of Vaginal Deodorant in my mother's underwear drawer when I was about 13-14. This was in the late 70s. Urgh - I wish I hadn't been rummaging about.

Dubjackeen Sun 23-Jun-13 10:18:24

I remember talc being an 'essential' for a baby, years ago.
As for other uses, mentioned here, no, I hadn't heard of them, but this thread made me laugh a lot. grin

MummytoMog Sun 23-Jun-13 09:36:54

We still have the forty tubs of talc we were bought when DD was born. I've occasionally powdered DS's nappy area when he was getting a persistent sweat rash, but otherwise I just don't really like it. I'm intrigued by the under boob powder notion though, might be worth a try...

Not so sure about the piñata. I'll ask DH if he fancies it.

Another vote for under-boob talcing here... I also often use it on armpits instead of chemical deodorants but now wondering if it is a 'kinder' alternative...
Also, just bought massive tub of burts bees baby bees talc for PFB due in 5 weeks so off to research if I'm killing her before she's born confused

AmbrosiaCreamedMice Sun 23-Jun-13 06:59:21
AmbrosiaCreamedMice Sun 23-Jun-13 06:58:31

@ DrHolmes I've heard great things about Dr Hauschka Body Powder. Google and see what you think. This stuff: www.amazon.com/dp/B001V9LUW6/ref=asc_df_B001V9LUW62572204?smid=A5F9JK1915JPL&tag=dealtmp287097-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B001V9LUW6

EspressoMonkey Sun 23-Jun-13 06:50:40

MIL uses talc. We thought it was cocaine, for a long while. Whenever she came to stay there would be white powder deposits on the top of the wall mounted chrome loo roll holder. DH drew a line in the powder and rubbed it on his gums. I asked him if it was cocaine, but he said he didn't know as he didn't use it but that is what they did in the movies. Fool. eventually we detected the smell of Lily of the Valley which suggested it was not cocaine.

I couldn't understand why it was only on the top of the loo roll holder as the bathroom is pretty big, why talc yourself near the loo? But apparently MIL liked to prop one leg up on the loo seat and talc her bits that way.

Bertrude Sun 23-Jun-13 06:30:13

Husband calls talc 'ball powder' as he uses it liberally on his sweaty nutsack multiple times daily. This is the downside of living in the desert with someone who sweats profusely.

echt Sun 23-Jun-13 05:57:12

Just clicked on this thread and weeping at the piñata foof/doodah/front bottom/minge/clunge. grin

Priceless.

whitesugar Sun 23-Jun-13 00:16:14

Why is it normal to cover a baby in talc if it's so dangerous? Presumably after a bath some talc can end up in baby's vagina?

dutchyoriginal Thu 20-Jun-13 20:38:29

Been reading choice bits of this tread out aloud to DH ("dual purpose, poonani pinata").

He now seems a bit worried that I might like to try this.

grin

thebody Thu 20-Jun-13 20:08:48

No bloody idea re butter. Mad really and the key !!well my dm is a bit loopy.

She's 80 and getting her hair blonded!!! Bless

I thought the key down the back was for hiccups. grin What was the butter meant to do thebody?

thebody Thu 20-Jun-13 19:09:10

Oh yes sparkling butter in head bump and bizarrely a key down the back for a nose bleed!!

thebody Thu 20-Jun-13 18:51:55

My dm powders herself and insisted doing it to me as a child.

It's so dry and horrible. ( not my bits obviously)

Hate it.

My sils use detol in the bath. Bit wierd.

Lionessy Thu 20-Jun-13 18:46:58

I will admit to a liberal sprinkling of Johnson's Baby talc in my undergarments after my morning shower. I just feel fresher. I can't quite fathom a cancer risk, surely you've got to have a bit of suction to get it up there? Do fanjo's suck up bits during the course of the day shock?

I also sprinkle under my pits after a bath of an evening. I adore the smell and it really helps when the weather's hot.

I have always used it on the DCs when babies, applied with a bit of cotton wool to their chunky bits and nappy area.

God, I must be really old!

Just in case my last comment gives everyone a mental image that I'm shaped a bit freakily, I'm not. Every part of me is a bit overly large (BMI 31) but nicely in proportion.

I'm with VikingLady. On hot days, my overly large upper thighs do benefit from a bit of Palmer's Cocoa butter (same effect as Vaseline but smells nicer).

There is something nice about the smell of soap rather than shower gels etc. We had Imperial leather soap growing up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now