...to wonder what kind of loon powders her minge?

(188 Posts)
badbride Wed 19-Jun-13 07:48:00

So the "using talc on your nether regions increases your ovarian cancer risk" story is doing the rounds in the media again. (Daily Mail)

There's an argument to be had about how these risks are being communicated in the media. That's not my point. My point is that I'm flabbergasted by the claim that 40% of women feel it necessary to dust their bits with talc on a regular basis.

Is this really true? If so, WHY???? The thought of doing this never even occurred to me. Are these women mad, or am I just a manky old bint?

Apologies for the Daily Mail link. For the sake of balance, here's Cancer Research UK's take on the topic.

DrHolmes Wed 19-Jun-13 08:12:23

I will do some research. Thanks badbride.

I have wondered about the effects of inhaling hairspray. I am sure it cannot be good to inhale liquid plastic.

DiamondDoris Wed 19-Jun-13 08:14:36

If you bathe daily you don't need to use perfumes of any kind. I think talc stemmed from the days people didn't have frequent baths/showers... yuck. Or maybe I'm wrong.

badbride Wed 19-Jun-13 08:17:23

Good question, Cote. I have no idea. Looking at Binky's explanation, perhaps it is related to the strength of the powderer's knicker elastic"? grin

littlepeas Wed 19-Jun-13 08:19:10

I am horrified by this post! My gran once left me a puffy fluffy thing in the bathroom with talc on when I was having a shower at her house. Now I know why. Eugh.

I've never used talc on my dc (eldest is nearly 5) as advice when dc1 was born was that it is not good for them to inhale.

playftseforme Wed 19-Jun-13 08:20:20

There's definitely someone at work that does this, there's always a liberal sprinkling of talc on the cubicle floor

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 19-Jun-13 08:21:23

ExcuseTypos No, they don't recomnend talc being used on babies anymore. I remember my Grandma using the talc on us when we had a bath at her house.

I thought using talc gave you thrush?

Sunnywithshowers Wed 19-Jun-13 08:24:29

I remember my mum used to talc me and DSis after the bath. But that was back in the olden days. <gimmer>

That is, until the day she left the room for a moment and found DSis putting Vim in her knickers.

AnyoneforTurps Wed 19-Jun-13 08:26:21

DrHolmes, there is no need to stop using talc if it works for you. The DM health scares are absolute bollocks. As Ben Goldacre says, the DM has "an ongoing project to divide all the inanimate objects in the world into the ones that either cause or prevent cancer".

Talc doesn't give you ovarian cancer, blueberries don't prevent cancer. Just tune out the DM and carry on.

Binky - that made me laugh out loud! grin

Sparklingbrook Wed 19-Jun-13 08:33:24

I use liquid talc in the summer for under boob moisture purposes. <tmi> DS2 uses proper talc before his shin pads go on for football. grin

There was talk of something to do with swimming hats and talc re talc on changing room floors.

Sparklingbrook Wed 19-Jun-13 08:34:17

play are you sure that's not fanny dandruff?

Llareggub Wed 19-Jun-13 08:42:13

Lots of us used to use talc in our swimming hats in our swimming club. Back then the hats used to stick together terribly and the talc helped the problem.

My SIL uses talc liberally with her children after baths and tried dousing mine one day. They ran shrieking from her in horror.

My grandmother was a huge talc user. She was also rather large so I guess it was a sweat/smell thing back from the days when she only allowed her family a spoonful of hot water for their weekly bath. I'm not kidding on this - my teenage mother was only allowed a weekly bath.

My mother is anti talc for the reason, and so am I! Plus it must mean more bathroom cleaning...

QOD Wed 19-Jun-13 08:45:19

I used to puff my groin and under boobage when I was fat, stopped the soreness and sweating.
Yum

CoteDAzur Wed 19-Jun-13 08:45:42

"Fanny dandruff"

<<faints>>

juneybean Wed 19-Jun-13 08:46:50

I occasionally do. I'm only 27 but my nana always did it and I guess I copied.

badbride Wed 19-Jun-13 08:53:45

Anyone, the thing that really annoys me about the DM story is that while it trumpets a 24% increase in risk, it doesn't state was the baseline risk for getting ovarian cancer is. It also doesn't talk about the limitations of the study, or indeed include a quote from the researchers.

If this is the paper they are talking about, the authors talk of a "small to moderate" increase in risk.

I'd still suggest that DrHolmes has a chat to her GP or pharmacist, as they may be able to suggest an even better solution to her health issue.

valiumredhead Wed 19-Jun-13 09:00:53

I always used to use talc when I was getting dressed when I used to swim regularly. I also had 2 ovarian cysts and the consultant back then, this was 23 years ago, said to stop using it as it increases the risk of them. This is old new re hashed in true DM style hmm

badbride Wed 19-Jun-13 09:01:28

Sparkling, when you say fanny dandruff, do you mean "piñata remnants"?

scarletforya Wed 19-Jun-13 09:07:39

DrHolmes, I have the same problem sometimes. I've found that Tea tree oil applied neat works very well!

choceyes Wed 19-Jun-13 09:12:03

I used it occassionally when heavily pregnant and my thighs started to chaff and my foof was a bit itchy.
My DH uses it sometimes as he's a serious cyclist and he can get a bit chaffed in the nethers sometimes and also to reduce rubbing in his cycling shorts.

OneLaundryBaskettoRuleThemAll Wed 19-Jun-13 09:19:10

Lush used to sell talc alternatives.

Latara Wed 19-Jun-13 09:26:42

Lots of very old ladies use talc on their backs and underarms.. i know cos i work with them.
The trick is to put the talc on a towel then pat it on.

I discourage them from using talc down below because it sticks there (gross).

I often use some under my breasts (sorry) to make sure they are dry before i put my bra on. That's copied from my patients!

WilsonFrickett Wed 19-Jun-13 09:30:38

This thread is actually making talc seem attractive! I want a poonani pinata! And a foof talc cloud...

chickensaladagain Wed 19-Jun-13 09:34:05

For those of us large of thigh, it does reduce chaffing

But my actual foof? No

WildlingPrincess Wed 19-Jun-13 09:39:51

I don't. My Mum always told me not to cos of cancer. Terrified of the stuff now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now