To ask when you are supposed to stop cutting up grapes

(172 Posts)
1Veryhungrycaterpillar Tue 18-Jun-13 22:55:35

V dumb question really but I still do this for my eldest (5) and my Dzh laughs at me, it's mainly because they are for packed lunch and I can't trust her not to rush her lunch at school

ifyourehoppyandyouknowit Thu 20-Jun-13 12:03:25

Choking aside, if you cut grapes up they fit better in little sandwich boxes.

DS, at 18m, can bite and chew grapes, but he needs reminding, so I keep cutting them up. I gave him strawberries whole though, so maybe my logic is flawed?

Hop strawberries squish though. Grapes are a particular hazard because of texture and being slightly squashy until they get thoroughly stuck.

Having read through the whole thread I'm going to be more careful and start cutting grapes. DS is an excellent chewer hmm although I'm not sure that's relevant. Not many people actually set out to choke themselves!

NewYorkDeli Thu 20-Jun-13 14:02:34

Some fantastic posts on here, also some posts that disgusted me. I will never understand parents who are so lax about things that are serious hazards.

It's great to see some posters who were not aware of the hazard, now going to cut the grapes etc up.

I have read some American study on children choking and the foods to be aware of are;
Grapes (always cut them in half lengthways)
Marshmallows
Cherry tomatoes
Frankfurters/sausages (always cut lengthways)
Popcorn
Hard sweets/hard jellies.
Nuts.

BegoniaBampot Thu 20-Jun-13 14:03:15

Always used to cut up grapes. Once you have been told or have read about the danger - why wouldn't you? Didn't know about marshmallows and round sliced sausage though or I would have been grateful to have been informed and taken steps to minimise the risk.

Years ago remember reading of a little boy who choked to death at the checkout in tescos after eating a grape. It always stayed with me - the horror the parents, other shoppers and the poor staff who tried to help him with first aid must have felt. I find thoses scoffing or talking lightheartedly about this quite strange and disgusting.

kerala Thu 20-Jun-13 15:39:12

Grape cutter here but never knew about marshmallows so glad read this thread x

ZipItShrimpy Thu 20-Jun-13 16:16:01

I am bamboozled to still see people remarking how wonderful their children are at chewing on this thread.

You are missing the point! If your child accidentally chokes while wonderfully chewing a grape, the chance of you getting it dislodged are far higher if it is a cut grape.

I know I will continue to cut my childrens grape. Choking is IMO the most horrible way to die. I say that as a nurse.

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Thu 20-Jun-13 16:52:10

The thought of them shocking on something that can't be hiemliched out gives me the shivers

FariesDoExist Thu 20-Jun-13 19:57:54

Well I recently stopped cutting grapes for my 6yr old but I think I might go back to cutting them now.

I did read that hotdogs are one of the worst things for choking.

1Veryhungrycaterpillar Thu 20-Jun-13 19:59:40

I'm going to try and find some info on what age the trachea changes shape/widens

CrapBag Thu 20-Jun-13 20:38:09

That would be really useful reading very.

I too am shocked that there are still people coming on here saying that they are a failed parent and have excellent chewers and making light of it. Disgraceful really.

Lets hope you don't have to face the consequences one day.

HenriettaPye Wed 26-Jun-13 18:13:33

I plan to cut grapes up into quarters until DD and DS are 21 gringringrin

Then at their 21st birthday party We will all sit round and watch them eat a full grape, ready to intervene and do the Heimnic manoeuvre if required!! gringrin

In all seriousness tho- grapes terrify me incase my little ones choke. I worked in a nursery and the manager always cut them in half and I used to take the bowl and cut them smaller again!! You can't be too careful wink

HenriettaPye Wed 26-Jun-13 18:16:15

Just read the threads that the Heimnic manoeuvre doesn't work with grapes- ah well- looks like I'm gonna b cutting them forever then!

Apileofballyhoo Thu 27-Jun-13 00:38:42

Feel sick that I didn't know. DS doesn't really like grapes anyway (or sausages). He has eaten thousands of blueberries though. I wonder if there is a size which is considered safe, maybe related to child age?

I know blueberries are not as big as grapes in general, but a small round grape could be the same size as a large blueberry. Will be cutting larger ones in future. I just can't believe I didn't know about this.

Cucumberscarecrow Thu 27-Jun-13 03:39:54

This article says that food for babies and young choldren hould be cut to pieces no larger than one half inch.

I always thought big pieces are better so they gnaw off the right amount, chew, then swallow. So, I thought an orange segment was safer than a blueberry and a large piece of meat safer than a small cube. Am I wrong? The experts seem to think so.

Pitmountainpony Thu 27-Jun-13 05:12:51

My friend recently took her ds in.to ER .he had dinner and started struggling to breathe...turns out he had breathed in an almond....there was a tiny hole where air could get in...anyway when she asked the 2 docs on duty , who deal with this and see kids die....they all said they still cut hot dogs, grapes, nuts and their kids were 7 and 9.
Says it all really.

Pitmountainpony Thu 27-Jun-13 05:16:45

Ps the Docs said they see loads of inhaled nuts.....very dangerous if you do nt get attention as your oxygen intake slowly decreases.....apparently mre common than choking but can still be fatal.

Cravingdairy Thu 27-Jun-13 05:59:42

I don't actually recall our nursery ever giving grapes (we get an interminable update on food every day.)

Cucumberscarecrow Thu 27-Jun-13 07:13:56

Our nursery definitely does grapes but I seem to remember arriving at tea time once and the grapes were cut. I will double check that they do this right up to age 5.

I have been googling and read somewhere authoritative that a toddler's trachea narrows to the size of a straw shock.

Thanks OP for highlighting this.

Fakebook Thu 27-Jun-13 07:27:30

We knew a beautiful little 3 year old when I was about 10. He was like a little man and so mature for his age and just loveable. My mum and dad were good friends with his parents and I remember when he was born and playing with him. He choked on a grape because his mum hadn't cut it up. Poor baby died after staying in a coma for 2 days. I'll never ever forget that little boy and the mother's crying.

Cut them up until you can trust them to eat them responsibly. Dd was about 4. I just rip them into quarters for DS; quicker than cutting. Same goes for things like olives.

Rosa Thu 27-Jun-13 07:32:51

My nephew age 8 big for his age got 1/2 a grape stuck last summer - dds witnessed it thanks to his dad it was removed quickly but my dds are really careful and yet they do ask them to be cut sometimes.. Dd2 is learning to spit cherry stones out, otherwise I cut them up as well.

IneedAyoniNickname Thu 27-Jun-13 07:59:47

Is never heard of.cutting up grapes until I joined mumsnet. Thankfully both mine are ok, but if I ever had another dc I would cut them.

One of the 1st threads I ever got involved in was a grape one, I was called all.kinds of names.for saying I didn't see the point of doing it. Then someone nicely explained the dangers!
Oddly though, there was a thread the same week (possibly day even) about leaving children unattended in a parked car and should you.do it. I mentioned a mum that I know who.used to leave her dd alone in a locked car, out of sight while she collected an older dc.from school. The toddler was often left with a tub of grapes to keep her quiet. I was told the woman was well within her rights to leave the child unattended and locked in with.grapes confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now