To Think This Must Be The Worst Au Pair Job In The World?

(176 Posts)
HoneyStepMummy Tue 18-Jun-13 21:39:16

www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/live-in-au-pair-st-john-wood/1022335782
I mean who wouldn't want to share a couch with someone else's kids, iron, cook, clean, and babysit for 12 hrs a day for $120 a week??? This must be a joke, surely???

aftermay Tue 18-Jun-13 22:30:11

Sounds fabulous. They don't even expect the au pair to make cups of tea for the grandparents while living in-between places. When can I start?

hiddenhome Tue 18-Jun-13 22:30:40

I have replied.

I hope I get it grin

goodasgold Tue 18-Jun-13 22:31:33

PrettyKitty I don't think that a sofa is worth £180+ per week. Even in St John's Wood. If you are expected to sleep on the sofa and have weekends off, where do you sleep at weekends? Sunday morning lie in until the roast dinner is ready? When you eat what the family eats do you get their weekend meals when you have weekends off? Or do you have to cook your own meals alongside them, or do you have to eat all your meals in restaurants?

How can the proposed arrangement enhance anybody's life?

Eek I replied too!

Emailed them and reported the ad. Bloody shocking anyone can even consider posting it to begin with.

apostropheuse Tue 18-Jun-13 22:33:02

Actually you're right thecrackfox. It's worse than Victorian times. They would have had a nanny, a cook, laundry person, maids etc. whereas this post is for one person to do all of the above. The Victorians were relatively enlightened compared to these prospective employers.

It does beggar belief.

twilight3 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:34:11

I thought that by law you can't expect an au-pair to work more than 25 hours a week as they're usually students. I might be wrong...

McNewPants2013 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:35:05

It will be a little cramped for a while and you may need to share space with the kids/sleep in the lounge as we are between places and living with parents

i hope they got thier parents permission, no doubt this lucky au pair will be doing the grandparent cooking and cleaning to

hiddenhome Tue 18-Jun-13 22:36:43

I really hope it's a spoof and there aren't people out there who would seriously employ someone to work under those circumstances sad Can you imagine going to another country and being faced with such a terrible arrangement?

I wonder what they would do if the au pair collapsed with exhaustion hmm

apostropheuse Tue 18-Jun-13 22:36:45

It would appear that they are breaking the law on several counts:

https://www.gov.uk/au-pairs-employment-law

BridgetBidet Tue 18-Jun-13 22:38:06

I suspect that what they're actually looking for is an illegal immigrant who will accept these conditions. But of course you can't openly say this on Gumtree.

I had a friend who worked as a nanny in Hampstead and it was quite common, particularly amongst families from overseas.

LilacPeony Tue 18-Jun-13 22:39:24

What did you reply Team?

God can you imagine if you tried to tell off the "boisterous and playful toddler boys who demand attention and patience in equal measure." They'd come down on you like a ton of bricks!

McNewPants2013 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:41:00

i reported the ad.

loveliesbleeding1 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:45:10

Wow they must be lovely peeps to work for we should all def apply for this one

shock holy crap! what piss takers

that cant be real surely confused

BeaWheesht Tue 18-Jun-13 22:51:54

Wow how bloody depressing.

Do they have toddler boys and a baby on the way or one toddler boy and a baby because they said they're due a second son soon?

BeaWheesht Tue 18-Jun-13 22:52:51

What's more depressing is it isn't that far away from my actual life and I get paid nothing!

wannabestressfree Tue 18-Jun-13 22:55:13

Shamelessly marking place in case they reply!

EverybodysStressyEyed Tue 18-Jun-13 22:59:11

Having seen a lot of cvs recently it was really depressing to see some of the jobs these women had in the Middle East before they came to the uk. This job could actually seem really attractive in comparison for someone who wants a bit of uk experience.

It really is disgusting that these people think this is reasonable but I am sadly not surprised. I can't understand why you would treat the person who is going to care for your children with such contempt.

And It does take 10 mins to Oxford st by bus from sjw!

Corygal Tue 18-Jun-13 22:59:32

Disgusting. I emailed them saying this sort of working practice is illegal in the UK.

Corygal Tue 18-Jun-13 23:01:09

I agree, I think they're after an illegal they can rip the shit out of. But they're traceable through gumtree.....

formica5 Tue 18-Jun-13 23:08:25

2 pounds an hour! That can't be right. They are expecting five 12 hour days.

expatinscotland Tue 18-Jun-13 23:08:48

Imagine finding your own children of such little worth that you would leave them with an indentured servant or illegal immigrant.

PoppettyPing Tue 18-Jun-13 23:10:15

They've edited the ad!

They have edited it!

Food is now 'taken care of'

The stranger thing and the word boisterous

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now