Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To Think This Must Be The Worst Au Pair Job In The World?

(176 Posts)
HoneyStepMummy Tue 18-Jun-13 21:39:16

www.gumtree.com/p/jobs/live-in-au-pair-st-john-wood/1022335782
I mean who wouldn't want to share a couch with someone else's kids, iron, cook, clean, and babysit for 12 hrs a day for $120 a week??? This must be a joke, surely???

thefuturesnotourstosee Tue 18-Jun-13 22:01:58

60 hours a week!

Crowded and sleeping on sofa or sharing with children!

Entitled to eat what they eat!

YANBU

DomesticCEO Tue 18-Jun-13 22:03:40

What did you say Team??? grin

QueenStromba Tue 18-Jun-13 22:03:57

Bloody hell. I can see how they might get someone really desperate with no job and nowhere to live but anyone who'd be interested would not have the requisite two years experience or stay there more than a month or two. Some people are completely deluded.

ladymariner Tue 18-Jun-13 22:05:28

This cannot be for real......can it???? Sleeping in the lounge or with the 'boisterous' kids.....hahahahahaha......

dandydorset Tue 18-Jun-13 22:05:38

omg

humdumaggapang Tue 18-Jun-13 22:06:34

2 quid an hour! Unfortunately this is not the first wanky au pair ad I have come across or family I've heard tales about . Makes me very cross it is not more regulated.

Picturepuncture Tue 18-Jun-13 22:08:14

I've replied and asked them if its a spoof. £2 an hour to sleep on a sofa, 'eat what they eat' and work a 60 hour week. Madness- would be hilarious if some poor sod wasn't going to end up being desperate enough to do it...

I replied also.

Cant stand piss takers

lessonsintightropes Tue 18-Jun-13 22:09:36

Just out of interest isn't this either a) illegal in terms of working time directive plus minimum wage regs and/or b) against standard au pair working hours, which I thought were max 25 hrs per week?

Sevenmilebeach Tue 18-Jun-13 22:09:54

I replied - eek!

Bragadocia Tue 18-Jun-13 22:09:56

I did too.

Spero Tue 18-Jun-13 22:10:45

Sadly, I can believe it. People who I considered nice and reasonable make ludicrous statements about what I am 'entitled' to from my au pair. I don't want the person looking after my daughter being tired, pissed off and resentful so I don't listen to them.

There are some massive entitled wankers out there.

apostropheuse Tue 18-Jun-13 22:15:43

They must be fecking insane.

It's like something out of the Victorian era. Seriously it is. They're looking for a servant - plain and simple. They've been watching too many period dramas.

£2 per hour, sixty hours working week, housework, cooking, looking after children and so on. Oh and of course you will need to be experienced at being a downtrodden fecking skivvy to possibly be allowed to sleep on their fecking couch.

I cannot believe anyone is so thick that they would think this is in any way acceptable.

wow

Remotecontrolduck Tue 18-Jun-13 22:16:55

I've replied. Truely unbelievable.

I think some people need reminding that slave labour is in fact illegal. That is slave labour.

Don't have kids unless you are willing to look after them, or pay someone a decent sum for the priviledge. Good grief.

AcrylicAfternoons Tue 18-Jun-13 22:18:53

I thought au pairs weren't supposed to look after babies?

PrettyKitty1986 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:19:27

If you factor in free (albeit shite) accommodation in London and free food...it's probably more like the equivalent of £5/£6 an hour.

Still rubbish though.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Tue 18-Jun-13 22:20:52

I reported. Fucking disgusting excuse for human beings. angry

Also SJW is NOT 10 minutes from Oxford St by bus.

I am ROARING at the penis maggots!

That's £2 per hour. They should be fucking sued and arrested and shot

What a pair of prick saddles.

hiddenhome Tue 18-Jun-13 22:23:07

Dear God, that is slavery shock

I hope they end up with a right numpty who totally gives them the run around.

TerribleTantrums Tue 18-Jun-13 22:23:19

That is outrageous, I really hope they don't get anyone.

I'm recruiting for an au pair, and am offering €150 a week, with own room and loads of time off for English classes (they usually work between 2pm and 6pm-ish). I'm a SAHM so the au pair won't even have sole charge of the DC unless the two DC need to be in different places at the same time. Basically what I will be getting is an older sibling who does the odd bit of emptying the dishwasher and the DC's laundry.

That, surely, is what an au pair is supposed to be not a nanny re-titled so you can treat her like dirt and hardly pay her. shock

NicknameIncomplete Tue 18-Jun-13 22:23:56

To those who replied to the ad have any of you had a response?

apostropheuse Tue 18-Jun-13 22:24:44

If you factor in free (albeit shite) accommodation in London and free food...it's probably more like the equivalent of £5/£6 an hour.

I'm sure the person won't eat £120 worth of food per week. I also wouldn't bloody factor in sleeping on someone's couch as being suitable remuneration.

I just replied too. <folds arms>

TheCrackFox Tue 18-Jun-13 22:27:38

At least in Victorian times servants got their own bedroom and the cook did all the food.

I really hope it is some kind of weird, spoof advert.

arethereanyleftatall Tue 18-Jun-13 22:29:50

This is actually really sad. I'm assuming they are offering only that because they think some poor sod will accept it. Are there not laws against this slave labour?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now