To be VERY annoyed with noise kids are making outside

(80 Posts)
HoppinMad Tue 18-Jun-13 20:31:23

I wish I could open the window and scream about the bloody racket. But they're kids so I wont.
Argh the level of screaming, shouting, swearing and loud laughter is getting on my nerves, it has taken me over an hour to settle dc. The baby fell asleep after about half an hour, but toddler is a very light sleeper and despite being shattered from a half day at nursery and various activities just couldn't settle because of the sheer noise.

We live in a quiet cul-de-sac with mainly young families. It is generally the same two or three families that allow their feral dc (ranging from early teens to about two or three years) to be out till very late, and allow them to make all the noise they like disturbing all the other neighbours. Its only since late spring, summer started to be fair, but its beginning to piss me off. I have wasted an hour, when normally it takes 15 minutes max. Kitchens a tip which I promised myself to clean but now I am too tired so dh can do it when he gets home from work

But seriously aibu to think people really should have some consideration for others who have children? I really dont care what time they put their dc to bed, but why allow them to be out till so late and make so much noise. Grrr... They are still at it.

HoppinMad Tue 18-Jun-13 21:27:07

Timeofchange - I did try white noise when they ds was little but didn't really like it, and wanted the room quiet which worked.

I am calmer now, and can see I was being a bit OTT with wanting to scream out the window etc blush but a grumpy toddler and a teething baby cause frazzled nerves by evening and its hard when all I want is them to sleep so I can have rest myself.

wigglesrock Tue 18-Jun-13 21:38:16

Look, I've screamed at my husband for buttering bread too loudly when I've been trying to get mine to sleep smile

It's not that I'm not unsympathetic, it's just that I think it's a bit of a reach to try and stop noise in a street in the summer before 8.30pm. I hope you can get some sleep - feck the kitchen, it's not going anywhere.

Startail Tue 18-Jun-13 21:43:54

It's summer it's light. Noise up to 9pm is acceptable.
Notice after is not on a week night.

But I have a very non British attitude to toddler bed time.

I work in the when they are tired and have had enough fun clock, not the what will the neighbours think clock.

(Actually my neighbours will be drinking, swearing and enjoying the summer evenings in their non too quiet way too.)

BellaVita Tue 18-Jun-13 21:45:27

They are just being children though and when yours start to play out it will be the same.

We had children playing out in our little street tonight up until 9pm and some of them were small but playing with their older siblings. Just like mine used to play out at the front.

Tis life I'm afraid.

8:30 is too late for the little kids to be up and playing. And probably they are being noisy because they are over tired. But in general kids ought to be allowed to play outdoors. They need to show some consideration for others though, which the parents should help them to understand. All depends on how noisy they are being I think...

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Tue 18-Jun-13 21:49:13

I'm glad you have calmed down a bit - we are all unreasonable at times smile

8.30 is still pretty early really. I think anything up to 9.30 is quite understandable on the few summer nights we actually get!

You'd hate Spain grin

MrsWolowitz Tue 18-Jun-13 21:54:25

YANBU.

Playing etc is fine. Screaming and swearing is not.

Dackyduddles Tue 18-Jun-13 22:03:18

Is it same 2-3 yr olds every night? I'm guessing a parent just in families enjoying light nights?

xylem8 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:09:18

yabu.8.30 isn't late for kids to be playing out on a nice summer evening. It is a reasonable time to be still making noise, you can't expect the world t stop for your kids

xylem8 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:11:55

and why shouldn't a 2 or 3 year old be playing at 8.30 why do theyneed to be up early?

carovioletfizz Tue 18-Jun-13 22:13:41

we get this too, to the point that we are moving. Can take up to three hours to settle our kids at night because of absolute racket outside from April onwards.

Well fuck me. Children out enjoying themselves on a summer's evening. Shoot the bastards.

Exactly. Move. To a nice detached house where you are not troubled by neighbours.

JakeBullet Tue 18-Jun-13 22:20:20

I get this too, and am also in a cul de sac. Same two orthree families who sit outside on the pavement and drink while laughing and chatting. Every other word is "fucking".
All the children are out there too listening to it all.

However, this evening they are all in the back garden and there has been a noisy conversation about a.complaint which has been made. Not by me I hasten to adf bit evidently someone is annoyed. On bad nights they.can go on until 5am

On the other hand they are friendly, good hearted and would help me in a heartbeat if I needed it so I tend to ignore the noise as much as possible.

MrsDeVere Tue 18-Jun-13 22:22:20

I live round a green (in a London borough, not a village)

Kids outside till dark in the summer

Sometimes it drives me bonkers but mostly it is just background noise.

If you are not trying to do something that requires quiet its not really going to bother you, if you are trying to get kids to sleep it is bound to pee you off.

The trouble is, the more annoyed you get , the louder and more unreasonable these things seem.

If it is really causing you distress you are going to have to have a word with the parents.

If you don't want to go that far your only other choice is to become all Zen about it. Or you will be in a constant state of stress through the summer until it no longer affects your DC's sleep pattern.

By then it will be your kids outside annoying people

Awomansworth Tue 18-Jun-13 22:25:54

If you don't like children making noise, why on earth did you move into a cul-de-sac full of mainly young families?

Ezza1 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:28:07

If someone would care to tell my 3 year old that 7pm is the average bedtime for little children, I would be most grateful.

He doesn't appear to listen to me.

Mintyy Tue 18-Jun-13 22:33:33

Presumably your 3 year old isn't outside screaming, shouting and swearing though Ezza?

Pmsl at this typically contrary Mumsnet stance - where it is unacceptable for pre-schoolers to make trampoliney type noises in their own gardens during the day, but perfectly fine for older kids to make as much noise as they like outside in the street until the sun goes down or beyond.

HoppinMad Tue 18-Jun-13 22:38:37

I am pretty surprised so many people think its ok for such young children to be playing out on a school night.

But anyway, like I said not my business what time folks decide to put their kids to bed but if it prevents my dc from sleeping then it kinda does become my business. As i mentioned I have absolutely no problem with them playing out, its the high level of noise. Surely any person with an ounce of common sense knows that many children will be going to/will be in bed by that time and ask their dc to keep it down? Its the considerate and responsible thing to do as an adult who has probably been through the baby/toddler stage and understands how tough it us.

xylem8 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:47:13

HoPPINGMAD-toddlers don't go to school.

xylem8 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:49:53

alsoo by the time op posted she had already spent an hour trying to get them to sleep, so she is actually asking for kids to not play out after 7

ChippingInWiredOnCoffee Tue 18-Jun-13 22:54:45

Mintyy - I think MN is so big these days you just get a lot of different replies - often depending on what time of day you post grin

I am not at all contrary - I'm pretty good with most 'kid' noise day or night!! Anyone who object to kids out playing needs to take a good long look at themselves IMO!

HoppinMad Tue 18-Jun-13 22:56:10

I am not just speaking of the 2 year olds, the group of kids are as I mentioned earlier, ranging from early teens to toddlers. My local nursery takes three year olds full time FYI, my ds will be going after the summer holidays full time.
My dsil is a teacher, was once saying how so many young kids cannot concentrate in class and are falling asleep at the desk. Well its clear video games aren't the only things to blame keeping them from having their full rest and sleeping on time.

Tilly333 Tue 18-Jun-13 22:57:03

I had this too. My house is next to a bus stop and we have a wall which the local 'youths' like to congregate on, shouting, swearing and screaming at each other. So one night, I decided to come out of my house, and go up the drive and actually asked one of them to 'budge up' to make room for me on my wall. I did not say anything, just sat and listened to their conversation. It took around 4 minutes for them to realise that I was a mad woman and move on. If you can't beat them join them...!

HoppinMad Tue 18-Jun-13 23:00:22

Xylem it was 7.15 if you want to be really precise, and where the heck did I say I dont want them playing out. Its the noise levels. Please read carefully before posting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now